•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

new CGX-L with Dec motor issues

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 EOAsus

EOAsus

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix,AZ

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:16 PM

I have a new CGX-L mount, which I've used about 8 times.  Started it up last night and attempted an alignment, the Dec motor was clearly malfunctioning.   Since the first use, the Dec motor has always been much louder than the RA.  However, it appeared to work and I really didn't have a frame of reference so I didn't think too much about it.

1)   During an attempted alignment, the Dec motor was making unusual noises and it would repeatedly start/stop.   Nothing like any previous alignments. 

2)  Moving the mount with the StarSense controller was malfunctioning as well.  Any Dec movements result in start/stop while keeping the button pressed on the controller.  It would also continue to do this, after releasing the button until another button was pressed or the mount turned off. 

Using the Celestron 12V 5A power source, so I'm assuming it's nothing to do with amperage.  I also had done a CFM firmware update, prior to the first use.  I created a ticket with Celestron support but it would not allow me to upload the videos.   

Anyone else with similar problems?  I've seen a lot of reports of issues with the RA motor but not the Dec.

#2 deonb

deonb

Vostok 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:21 PM

I’ve returned my CGX (within 30 days) due to a burnt out Dec motor. Used it maybe 20 times.

It didn’t really make any noise - just stopped working one night.

It happens.

Edited by deonb, 22 November 2020 - 12:22 PM.

#3 EOAsus

EOAsus

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:30 PM

I purchased this mount on 9/24.  However, because of the lack of available SCTs, I haven't been able to use it until just recently when I received my SCT.

#4 moonrider

moonrider

Ranger 4

• Loc: Murphy, NC

Posted 22 November 2020 - 03:21 PM

You mentioned videos. Can you post one or a link?

#5 EOAsus

EOAsus

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 November 2020 - 08:36 PM

Just uploaded to YouTube

https://youtu.be/9VL2PBAHNIM

https://youtu.be/XLQZLRwDGyY

#6 speedster

speedster

Messenger

• Loc: Abilene, Texas

Posted 22 November 2020 - 09:10 PM

Mine has done the exact same thing about 3 times in the past 2 years.  I cycle power and it goes away so I haven't been terribly concerned but I'm curious what you find out.  I'm not using the hand controller and my instances haven't recurred since I bypassed the USB hub and ran a cable directly from mount to PC.  But now, with your issues using the hand controller, I don't think that actually changed anything.

#7 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Vostok 1

Posted 22 November 2020 - 09:33 PM

I have a neighbor that has a CGX mount, the dec motor made a certain noise turning one way and going the opposite way a louder noise. Also, would pulse back and forth once it got to a certain point in declination.   The pulsing only occured when his 10" SCT was on it.  Would not happen on the bench unloaded.

Turned out it was a faulty plug at the dec motor.  The white four wire plug.  Went to a local hobby shop, got a four wire battery charging extension cable, same ends but with 3 red wires and one black.  Did a cut and solder job and his problem was gone.  I think he gave $5 bucks for the wire and $6 bucks for the shrink wrap.  About 30 minutes to do the job.

He verified the cable was bad by removing the cover, slewing the dec motor and moving the cable back and forth by hand as it was slewing, and it repeated itself.  After putting new cable on, would not repeat itself.

That was his problem, and that was the fix.      Joe

• cintvir likes this

#8 moonrider

moonrider

Ranger 4

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:46 PM

I think it is a MC issue also possibly a faulty Dec motor. Good news is it will definitely be covered by warranty.  That Dec motor is way too noisy. If anything, RA motors tend to be slight noisier. Since it came that way, I suspect that the back lash was not set properly causing the motor to bind. Even though the worm gear is spring tensioned, if not properly set, problems like this will occur especially which temperature changes. That motor should not be noisy like that. In fact, I think the RA motor is also on the noisy side compared to mine and other ones I have seen and heard. Granted, Celestron mounts tend to be noisier than most but but not like yours. Definitely follow up with Celestron and have them take care of it. Did you provide a link to the videos in your ticket to Celestron? I provided one for my ticket and Jonathan at Celestron has helped me in the past with mine. Also, check with Team Celestron, a lot of us are Beta testers there and might have more suggestions. Also you can upload the videos. As I said before, it is probably a MC issue with the starting and stop, but the noise is also troubling.

Edited by moonrider, 22 November 2020 - 11:53 PM.

#9 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 23 November 2020 - 08:16 AM

I purchased this mount on 9/24.  However, because of the lack of available SCTs, I haven't been able to use it until just recently when I received my SCT.

If you bought the SCT from the same vendor that sold you the mount, you might ask to see if they will take the mount back and get you a new replacement even though you are outside a 30 day return window for the mount.

#10 EOAsus

EOAsus

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 November 2020 - 08:49 AM

I've submitted a ticket with Celestron and contacted the vendor as well...waiting to hear back.

#11 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 23 November 2020 - 09:41 AM

Good luck to you on this.

#12 Jeffmar

Jeffmar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: salt lake city, utah

Posted 24 November 2020 - 07:54 PM

My CGX-L mount has made some pretty intense noises, also. I fixed it by resetting the tension and play on the worm gears. It took a few tries to make it quiet again. It seems to work fine now. 

• DuncanM likes this

#13 Bill G.

Bill G.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newton, NC USA

Posted 26 November 2020 - 09:17 PM

I'm not sure how close the CGX-L motor setup is to the CGX (close I assume) but I just went through some guiding issues with 16 month old CGX. Turned out tension adjustment from the factory was way too tight. In trying to adjust it I discovered that most adjustment procedures talk about adjusting the wrong screws to adjust the tension.

I just posted the info about this on another forum.

After finding the correct adjustment screws, RA and DEC drives noticeably quieter... especially the RA.

Bill G.

• moonrider likes this

#14 moonrider

moonrider

Ranger 4

Posted 26 November 2020 - 09:54 PM

I'm not sure how close the CGX-L motor setup is to the CGX (close I assume) but I just went through some guiding issues with 16 month old CGX. Turned out tension adjustment from the factory was way too tight. In trying to adjust it I discovered that most adjustment procedures talk about adjusting the wrong screws to adjust the tension.

I just posted the info about this on another forum.

After finding the correct adjustment screws, RA and DEC drives noticeably quieter... especially the RA.

Bill G.

Yep, that's the correct screws to adjust. The other problem with them is that sometimes they come with way too much tension on the belts from the factory resulting in early runout of the gearbox output shaft bushings. Mine was so bad that you could actually watch the drive cog rotate in an "Eliptical orbit,so to speak"...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics