•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

XT10 Plus replace tension pads possible?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bambroso

bambroso

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:23 PM

Bought a used XT10 Plus that requires the replacement of the tension pads on the base (altitude). Searched but could not find anything. I assume they are just PTFE or similar? Two on each side of base with knobs to control tension. Curious if anyone knows about replacement.

#2 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 22 November 2020 - 01:48 PM

Maybe put in a want ad for a used base....Orion may have some, but they mostly refuse to deal with anyone who is not the original buyer....maybe if the previous owner gave you the purchase receipt.

• bambroso likes this

#3 shohin

shohin

Explorer 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 24 November 2020 - 01:05 AM

I have an XT8, not a 10, but comparing the pads to a PTFE sheet, the PTFE was more opaque and slicker.  I think you would be fine if you replaced your pads with PTFE, in fact it would be the preferred material for that purpose.  Most ATM dob bases seem to use it.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#4 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 24 November 2020 - 12:24 PM

Yes, you can buy PTFE sheet or even pre-cut squares.

This will be superior to the nylon(If that is what is used and I think in some cases it is). It is an easy material to work with, so if you have to trim some, you can use a razor or hobby knife. 

You can buy sheets from McMaster

https://www.mcmaster...y-ptfe-sheets/ 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics