•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Just got a 10" LX200 GPS - Spider Web Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GlassQueen

GlassQueen

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New England, US

Posted 22 November 2020 - 03:44 PM

Hello all,

Thank you for the add. I just bought a second hand Meade LX200 10" GPS. The scope is in beautiful condition but I see webs in the scope when I look in from the front of the scope.

Should I clean them? If so, how? Or should I leave them be?

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Aurora

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 22 November 2020 - 03:54 PM

Welcome to CN GlassQueen.  I have owned a couple of these 10" Meade's and would recommend you remove the front corrector lens to clean out the spider webs.  Be sure to mark it's orientation and replace it in the same location.   Was this scope stored outside for a long time to have spiders get into the inside of the tube?  With the corrector lens off, you should check for droppings or egg pods.  It should be a straightforward process to do this.

Bill

• GlassQueen likes this

#3 PETER DREW

PETER DREW

Apollo

Posted 22 November 2020 - 03:58 PM

Probably best to remove them in due course but for now I think I would leave them and see if they impact on the view. If the webs are internal, the front corrector plate and attached secondary mirror will have to be removed which needs great care for a first attempt, plenty of advice available to do this when you're ready.
  • GlassQueen likes this

#4 GlassQueen

GlassQueen

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 November 2020 - 04:04 PM

Welcome to CN GlassQueen.  I have owned a couple of these 10" Meade's and would recommend you remove the front corrector lens to clean out the spider webs.  Be sure to mark it's orientation and replace it in the same location.   Was this scope stored outside for a long time to have spiders get into the inside of the tube?  With the corrector lens off, you should check for droppings or egg pods.  It should be a straightforward process to do this.

Bill

Hi Bill, thank you. It was stored in its big Meade box but the rear cover was off which caused the webs. It belonged to a friend's father who has since passed. Should I do any other cleaning while I have the corrector lens off? I am proficient at cleaning camera sensors but this prospect intimidates me. 

#5 GlassQueen

GlassQueen

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 November 2020 - 04:05 PM

Probably best to remove them in due course but for now I think I would leave them and see if they impact on the view. If the webs are internal, the front corrector plate and attached secondary mirror will have to be removed which needs great care for a first attempt, plenty of advice available to do this when you're ready.

Thank you, Peter. The webs appear to go all the way to the mirror. Is vacuuming them out safe?

#6 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Vanguard

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 22 November 2020 - 07:18 PM

I have a couple strands of spider web in my 16" LX200... no plans to worry about removing them. 

• GlassQueen likes this

#7 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 23 November 2020 - 12:29 PM

I had a spider move into my SN8 once and made quite a mess of things. I carefully removed the corrector (after marking its orientation) and reached in with a clean stick covered with lens tissue and wound them up like cotton candy. Fortunately, they didn't stick to any of the mirror surfaces. With care a vacuum should work fine. I make sure that I have something plugging the focuser when my scope is not in use. In a pinch I found that a Dixie cup fits snuggly in a 2" focuser. :)

Food for thought...

#8 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Aurora

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 23 November 2020 - 04:08 PM

Hi Bill, thank you. It was stored in its big Meade box but the rear cover was off which caused the webs. It belonged to a friend's father who has since passed. Should I do any other cleaning while I have the corrector lens off? I am proficient at cleaning camera sensors but this prospect intimidates me. 

Unless there is some dirt on the primary mirror or corrector lens, I wouldn't bother messing with them.  Just take your time when cleaning out the webs and you will be fine.  Then check the collimation the next night you have the scope out.

Bill

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics