•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Virus, malware and other security protection for Windows?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Gschnettler

Gschnettler

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cincinnati Ohio

Posted 22 November 2020 - 04:02 PM

I have been a 100% Apple owner since 1986. However, I just bought a Windows laptop for astronomy due to all of the issues I read about trying to do it with a Mac. So I’m giving Windows a try as my dedicated astronomy computer. I’ll use it for telescope control, capturing images and processing

From what I have read I need to be concerned about security. Do you think I can do this with free software or do I need to subscribe to a service?

Windows users, please let me know what you do to protect your system.

Thank you.
  • lee14 likes this

#2 ismosi

ismosi

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: New London, Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 22 November 2020 - 04:22 PM

I use the out-of-the-box solution that comes with Windows, i.e. Windows Security formerly known as Windows Defender.

https://support.micr...56-6a39afb6a963

My observatory computer gets no use other than updating Windows and astronomy software. If you're not going to suspicious websites or clicking on links in email, you have little to worry about IMO.

• BoriSpider, dghent, helpwanted and 4 others like this

#3 wrvond

wrvond

Vanguard

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 22 November 2020 - 04:26 PM

Same here.

No pron sites and don't download/open anything you didn't ask for or can't positively identify.

• Bob Denny likes this

#4 lee14

lee14

Apollo

• Loc: CNY

Posted 22 November 2020 - 04:39 PM

I have been a 100% Apple owner since 1986. However, I just bought a Windows laptop for astronomy due to all of the issues I read about trying to do it with a Mac. So I’m giving Windows a try as my dedicated astronomy computer. I’ll use it for telescope control, capturing images and processing

From what I have read I need to be concerned about security. Do you think I can do this with free software or do I need to subscribe to a service?

I know exactly what you mean. I switched to Apple ten years ago, when Microsoft stopped supporting XP, arguably the most stable platform they've ever offered. I also became tired of paying for an upgraded OS every couple of years. Nevertheless...I still use my PC for image processing, because I prefer the file system in windows. The machine is not online, and never will be again. If you refrain from using yours online, and never download software directly from the internet, you will be safe from malware. Still, I'd keep the firewall and security settings as high as possible.

Lee

#5 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 22 November 2020 - 04:39 PM

I have Windows Home Office subscription and they also provide the Win updates, including all their security stuff. Also McAfee etc. I allow the updates and has been fine for years. Without such stuff, contamination and failure are virtually guaranteed, now-a-days. I'm stingy in some ways... but computer security sure ain't one of them!   Tom

#6 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 22 November 2020 - 04:41 PM

Mine came with Avast. Have to say it is a pain - keeps trying to get me to buy the paid for version, as in 4 or 5 times a day. And occasionally does an update and alters things. The laptop starts up with their browser, I don't want their browser and I don't want it starting up when I start the laptop.

But is seems to work.

Still annoying enough that I think Avast is a misspelling of Avirus.

Would uninstall and install AVG but I at least know the annoyances of Avast now. And as they say Better the devil you know then the devil you don't.

The free ones seem pretty good, so suppose a few searches and choose the one that looks appropriate/best.

#7 robbieg147

robbieg147

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 22 November 2020 - 04:58 PM

I run Norton together with Malwarebytes never had a problem yet.

#8 Couder

Couder

Viking 1

• Loc: Mansfield, Missouri in the Ozarks

Posted 22 November 2020 - 05:00 PM

Windows 10 for years, no additional antivirus or malware software, absolutely no problems.

• Bob Denny and Steve Cox like this

#9 davelpg

davelpg

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 22 November 2020 - 05:39 PM

I'll echo what Couder said just north of here. 

• Bob Denny likes this

#10 lphilpot

lphilpot

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Central Lousiana, USA

Posted 22 November 2020 - 09:14 PM

I've used Sophos Home on my Windows machines for a few years and have had no issues. However, that's only part of the equation. As others have pointed out, safe behavior is an equally big factor. Just as being on Windows won't automatically guarantee infection, neither will being on another platform -- OSX or Linux (my desktop OS for years) -- automatically guarantee safety. Don't put yourself at risk through unsafe behavior, whether active or passive.

That said, I've been in IT long enough to hope I'll never see the name Symantec ever again.  smile.gif

Edited by lphilpot, 22 November 2020 - 09:14 PM.

#11 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 22 November 2020 - 09:28 PM

Just the built-in Windows Security here too.  I've had the on-demand version of Malwarebytes running in tandem before but it wound up being redundant and seemed to slow things down.  Everything else just slows the system down too much, especially Avast.  Here's a link to what I feel is about the best rating source for AV software:  https://www.av-test.org/en/?r=1

• wrvond likes this

#12 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 24 November 2020 - 07:56 AM

I use Bitdefender as my antivirus software.

• tcchittyjr likes this

#13 MHamburg

MHamburg

Vanguard

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 24 November 2020 - 10:45 AM

I like Malwarebytes.

Michael

#14 dghent

dghent

Viking 1

• Vendors

Posted 24 November 2020 - 10:47 AM

Windows 10's built-in Defender suite is certainly sufficient and stays out of the way. All 3rd party AV software tends not to do anything in particular any better and have largely turned into annoying adware.

• Jeffrey C., helpwanted, Bob Denny and 3 others like this

#15 helpwanted

helpwanted

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 24 November 2020 - 11:51 AM

Windows 10's built-in Defender suite is certainly sufficient and stays out of the way. All 3rd party AV software tends not to do anything in particular any better and have largely turned into annoying adware.

I couldn't agree more!

• Bob Denny and davelpg like this

#16 rutherfordt

rutherfordt

Viking 1

• Loc: Northeast Tennessee USA

Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:58 AM

I also use the built-in Windows antivirus program (for years) and have never had an issue.  Most virus issues (though of course not all) that people have are self-inflicted-- don't go to questionable sites and your problems should be almost non-existent.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics