•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Grab and Go Refractor

equipment refractor tripod LP
  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 kas20amc02

kas20amc02

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Arkansas

Posted 22 November 2020 - 08:54 PM

I need advice about buying a grab and go setup.  Right now, I have a 5 inch Polaris Meade reflector and a 10 inch Dob.  I want to buy a refractor that I can easily transport.  Reason being: no cooldown, no collimation and I want to try something new (I have never owned a refractor).  My house has Bortle 9 skies and is in a city of 250K.  I can drive 45 minutes to Bortle 4 skies relatively easily but I predict the refractor would be used more at home to split doubles and observe open clusters.  A wide FOV would be nice for the open clusters.  Planets and lunar may also be reasonable from my house but I am less interested in those objects.  Although I like globular clusters, galaxies and nebula, they all look like faint, fuzzy spots from my backyard. Requirements:

1.  Preferably, less than 20 pounds all together.  25 pounds tops. I would like my pre-teen child to be able to use it by herself.

2.  Less than $1000 for mount, tripod and OTA.  Might stretch to $1500

3.  Visual only.  

4.  Manual.  I don't want to haul around cords/remotes/batteries and align the mount.

5.  Tall enough to accommodate my 6'4'' frame.  Adjustable to accommodate kids.  

6.  Ideally the package includes a stout case to protect it during storage and travel.

7.  Has to be decent quality.  Not necessarily top of the line, but something I won't end up replacing in 6 months due to quality issues. 

8.  Relatively rugged.  My 4 and 8 year olds both like astronomy.  My 4 year old especially pulls the telescope toward him while on the step ladder.  This may not be reasonable criteria for any optics.

I was thinking an ~80 mm doublet on an alt-az mount.  I looked at several options and was strongly considering the Vixen Porta II Tall tripod + 80 mm Vixen ED ( For $1000, that checks most of the boxes and several people spoke highly of the mount/tripod (https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/476705-whats-your-grab-and-go-telescope/).  

I also considered a camera tripod (Bogen 3011 or Benro TMA28A) or even a surveyor's tripod.  The Dwarfstar mount is a tantalizing idea but only supports 8 pounds.  Since this is basically my 2nd telescope, I don't know if I want to buy a super light refractor (<70 mm) to pair with the restrictive weight limit of a Dwarfstar.  I figure if it says 8 pound limit, 6 or even 5 is more reasonable.  

My alternative OTA options are William Optics ZenithStar 81 mm apochromatic doublet, Sky-Watcher EvoStar ED80, Apertura 72mm FPL-53 Doublet APO Refractor or maybe a Tele Vue 76, although the TV is over budget for the OTA alone.  I thought that some of these scopes would be good enough for AP in the future, if I bought a heavier mount/tripod.  I currently do not do any AP or CAA.  

I would appreciate your thoughts and ideas.

~Karl

• mfoose likes this

#2 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 22 November 2020 - 09:02 PM

I need advice about buying a grab and go setup.  Right now, I have a 5 inch Polaris Meade reflector and a 10 inch Dob.  I want to buy a refractor that I can easily transport.  Reason being: no cooldown, no collimation and I want to try something new (I have never owned a refractor).  My house has Bortle 9 skies and is in a city of 250K.  I can drive 45 minutes to Bortle 4 skies relatively easily but I predict the refractor would be used more at home to split doubles and observe open clusters.  A wide FOV would be nice for the open clusters.  Planets and lunar may also be reasonable from my house but I am less interested in those objects.  Although I like globular clusters, galaxies and nebula, they all look like faint, fuzzy spots from my backyard. Requirements:

1.  Preferably, less than 20 pounds all together.  25 pounds tops. I would like my pre-teen child to be able to use it by herself.

2.  Less than $1000 for mount, tripod and OTA.  Might stretch to $1500

3.  Visual only.  

4.  Manual.  I don't want to haul around cords/remotes/batteries and align the mount.

5.  Tall enough to accommodate my 6'4'' frame.  Adjustable to accommodate kids.  

6.  Ideally the package includes a stout case to protect it during storage and travel.

7.  Has to be decent quality.  Not necessarily top of the line, but something I won't end up replacing in 6 months due to quality issues. 

8.  Relatively rugged.  My 4 and 8 year olds both like astronomy.  My 4 year old especially pulls the telescope toward him while on the step ladder.  This may not be reasonable criteria for any optics.

I was thinking an ~80 mm doublet on an alt-az mount.  I looked at several options and was strongly considering the Vixen Porta II Tall tripod + 80 mm Vixen ED ( For $1000, that checks most of the boxes and several people spoke highly of the mount/tripod (https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/476705-whats-your-grab-and-go-telescope/).  

I also considered a camera tripod (Bogen 3011 or Benro TMA28A) or even a surveyor's tripod.  The Dwarfstar mount is a tantalizing idea but only supports 8 pounds.  Since this is basically my 2nd telescope, I don't know if I want to buy a super light refractor (<70 mm) to pair with the restrictive weight limit of a Dwarfstar.  I figure if it says 8 pound limit, 6 or even 5 is more reasonable.  

My alternative OTA options are William Optics ZenithStar 81 mm apochromatic doublet, Sky-Watcher EvoStar ED80, Apertura 72mm FPL-53 Doublet APO Refractor or maybe a Tele Vue 76, although the TV is over budget for the OTA alone.  I thought that some of these scopes would be good enough for AP in the future, if I bought a heavier mount/tripod.  I currently do not do any AP or CAA.  

I would appreciate your thoughts and ideas.

~Karl

The Porta II is a great mount, I love my 3 after getting rid of my 3 AZ4’s and 1 Twilight I. If there are tall people or will be tall people in your family the tall version is even better, topped off with an 80-100mm refractor of your choice ! Good Luck and Clear Skize !

• ShaulaB and drd715 like this

#3 Echolight

Echolight

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Texas

Posted 22 November 2020 - 09:48 PM

I have $75 in this pawn shop Bogen 3050. It's rated for 26 pounds and does fine for casual observing. Has quick release octagon disc. I see these or similar on Craigslist occasionally listed for around $100.

And got the SW80ED for 40% off. But you could substitute a new AT80ED and a 2 inch dielectric diagonal and be in the ballpark. The chair $15 from a garage sale. $20 optional lawm chair for travel. Pushin up close to a g with the 20 Hyperwide.

FFD864AE-4026-4B2F-8099-BC050F1151A2.jpeg

I haven't weighed it. But it feels like maybe 20 pounds all up. The whole thing can be fully adjusted for any height and angle from a seated position. Trigger style releases for the leg adjustments. And the whole thing picked up while seated to spin around and look in any direction.

Although planetary views are limited, wide field views are terrific with a small refractor. But I might choose an Orion ST120 if I was wanting a more dedicated wide field scope with more light grasp and more reach for even less money. Of course the ST120 would require a real mount like a Porta II with some wooden legs.

Edited by Echolight, 22 November 2020 - 10:13 PM.

• Rollo, mattyfatz and BFaucett like this

#4 vtornado

vtornado

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:35 PM

Hello Karl and welcome to CN

80mm ed doublet could be an orion 80 ED.  Great scope, it does annoy me that the tube is 100mm diameter.

works on ES TW1 or Vixen Porta mount.

There is an astro tec ed 80 that does not use the fpl 53 glass, that is cheaper, smaller and has a better focuser.

I think it would be find for visual.  (I don't have one)

An astro-tec 100 f7, is nice but you really should go up another mount class and that is probably

going to be close to your budget.  (I don't own one).  I do own a 100 f9 ed.   It is kind of long to mount.

I put it on a universal astronomics mount head and steel tripod.  That is over 20 lbs.

I have a orion 120 f/5 great scope if power kept under 50x.  Over 50 and CA starts ruining the view.

The focuser is a bit underwhelming.

If you really want to slum it, there are lot of 80mm f/5 achro scopes out there.  If you retrofit

a 2 inch focuser on them you get a stunning 6 degree field of view.   Of course the image gets

wonky if you push the power.

additionally you will need.

if orion ed 80, tube rings.

astro tec 2inch dialectic diagonal.

A 30mm 2 inch eyepiece.  do you already have one?  So far i have not found a budget eyepieces that works

well in fast telescopes.   The GSO superview works ok, but I think you are going to have to go 200+ to

get something that is better.

#5 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:38 PM

An Orion or SW 80ED would be a good scope.  They are pretty light so should work OK on a lightweight alt-az mount.

#6 Ps191

Ps191

Mariner 2

• Loc: E. OR

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:43 PM

If you feel comfortable consider buying used. Buying used allows me to afford better equipment and reduces depreciation if for whatever reason I resell later.

Fwiw I recently sold my 80mm triplet and plan to replace it with a 100mm doublelet refractor. The 80mm was great but I felt restrictioned by it's size under my skies. With careful choice of 100mm I hope to get better performance while, like you, still keeping the portiblity in the 20-25 lb range. Since I bought the 80mm used and sold for very similar price I can try this move without to much financial loss.

#7 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Viking 1

• Loc: Barrington, Illinois (60010)

Posted 23 November 2020 - 09:07 AM

The AT 102ED F7. Light weight, easy on the pocket book, lighter weight, with reasonable optics.

Would fit well on a twl 1 or similar mount.

Add a telrad or raci, a couple of ep's and your off and running.

• SteveG and kksmith like this

#8 KaterinBortle9

KaterinBortle9

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 23 November 2020 - 11:56 AM

Hi Karl, I suggest the Celestron Hummingbird ED 56 9-27x micro spotting scope, with its default zoom eye piece replaced by a better quality zoom (Baader Hyperion 8-24 Mark IV) or a fixed focal length eyepiece such as a Delite 11m or Delos 10/13mm (Noting that you already have a reflector and a Dobsonian telescopes).

I was looking for an upgrade from a 10x42 binoculars towards 12x50, 16x56 binos and the short-tube ST80 (as suggested by members at the binoculars section), I came across a thread about the hummingbird which piqued my interest and my purchase: https://www.cloudyni...eces-can-focus/

I'm currently using it with a Delite 11mm at 18.18x magnification on a Sirui AM1204K tripod + K10 ballhead (which only goes up to about 173cm) for night sky (at bortle9) viewing when conditions permit but even more so for terrestrial viewing at critters, clouds, flora and scenery.

Some points related to your concerns:

1) The default scope + eyepiece weight about 600g. Even if you fit a Delos eyepiece on it, it would be around 1kg. A typical quality carbon fiber photo tripod and ballhead weigh less than 2kg will serve your children but not for someone at 6'4". I'm sure other members can give good recommendations for taller tripods or you can view while seated with a cheap and light foldable fishing/camping chair.

2) Scope cost US$349 at B&H Photo, a Delite 11mm @US$256. For more versatility, the Baader 8-24mm zoom might be better if eye-relief is not an issue. You might already have a set of good eyepieces for use on the scope too!

3) You only haul the bare necessities, truly grab and go.

4) The supplied scope "bag" is totally useless. However, being about 21-23cm long, 13-15cm tall and 7cm wide, it is SMALL, meaning it can easily fit into padded camera bags. I can fit my 10x42 binoculars and the hummingbird into my manfrotto windsor sling bag, with space for umbrella, water bottle and other small belongings. My Sirui tripod is either carried using its supplied bag or in a tote bag.

5) The hummingbird seems decently made and covered with rubber armor and with the default zoom eyepiece, "waterproof". It may change with the eyepiece you use. The main weak points of the scope are: A) The default zoom eyepiece showed too much barrel distortion, insufficient eye relief for me and the image starts to degrade above 20x. B) The plastic eyepiece locking wheel and C) Tight eyepiece mounting. I've found that the plastic eyepiece locking wheel is rather flimsy and prone to come off its threads if one turns too much in both directions. Also, when trying out delos and delites eyepieces, I've found that some do not really fit easily into the mounting hole and since I did not want to damage my scope and the astro-shop's eyepieces, I did not forced my way down. Bought the one Delite 11mm that fits which gave an excellent view for use as a fixed magnification scope.

6) When using the small scope with a ballhead on a tripod, it is easy, even for a child, to always hold the scope with both hands when search for targets, and to hold it with one hand while adjusting the focuser or other knobs on the ballhead. It is fun and a pleasure to use. When I have it set up in the park and harbor, I found myself looking through it more than my monarch hg 10x42 binoculars!

7) Being a 45 angled scope limits viewing at and near the zenith, but that could be a plus as it can get more mileage as a grab and go daytime spotting scope out in the woods and parks.

8) Note that the image quality during daytime is excellent with my Delite 11mm, but night time viewing at bright stars or light sources shows some "flaring", a short thin line of light pointing away from the light source. That light line is minimum when in focus and elongates when out of focus. It might be due to the optical limitations of the scope and/or due to the RACI prism in it. Only a minor shortcoming for me, but might be annoying for others!

9) Certain focal lengths of eyepieces might not be able to reach focus eg. Delos 17.3mm and 14mm. You have to either test personally or find out more in the abovementioned thread about the hummingbird.

10. The hummingbird is capable of wide FOV, provided the long FL eyepiece can reach focus and can fit into the scope! At 18.2x magnification using the 11mm Delite at 62 degrees AFOV, the 3.4 degrees FOV is manageable for me. Perhaps other members who have the hummingbird and wider AFOV eyepieces can give better opinions and options.

In any case, hope you can find the best scope and tripod mount for you and family!

#9 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 23 November 2020 - 12:03 PM

For purely visual grab and go, you might consider the Astro-Tech 72EDii, an f/6 scope that I just recently got (mostly for EAA and imaging). If you mounted this on a Astro-Tech Voyager 2 Altazimuth mount, the total damage to your pocketbook would be less than $700.

#10 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 23 November 2020 - 12:05 PM

Forget to mention that I think neither one is currently in stock, but Astronomics seems to be getting new shipments of their AT scopes every 3 months.

#11 gwlee

gwlee

Vanguard

• Loc: 38N 120W

Posted 23 November 2020 - 12:23 PM

I have anAT72ED2 on UA DwarfStar and Bogen 3021 that weighs under 15# ready to observe with 2” accessories. It’s a bit shaky, but extremely portable, so I put it on wooden surveyors tripod for all around use, and it weighs less than 20#, and it is solid.

A longer and heavier 80mm wouldn’t work near as well on DwarfStar with a 3021 or 3011, so don’t recommend it. Probably be OK on the Oberwerk, and it would weigh less than 25# ready to observe with 2” accessories.

#12 dmorrow

dmorrow

Vostok 1

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 23 November 2020 - 12:29 PM

Consider a used Celestron Onyx 80ED.  Covers all the basis and has a relatively short FL as well.  When I had mine, it paired well with a berlebach report tripod and a stellarvue M1V - great grab and go set up for less than $1000.   

Edited by dmorrow, 23 November 2020 - 12:30 PM.

#13 kas20amc02

kas20amc02

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 November 2020 - 09:46 PM

Hi Karl, I suggest the Celestron Hummingbird ED 56 9-27x micro spotting scope, with its default zoom eye piece replaced by a better quality zoom (Baader Hyperion 8-24 Mark IV) or a fixed focal length eyepiece such as a Delite 11m or Delos 10/13mm (Noting that you already have a reflector and a Dobsonian telescopes).

I was looking for an upgrade from a 10x42 binoculars towards 12x50, 16x56 binos and the short-tube ST80 (as suggested by members at the binoculars section), I came across a thread about the hummingbird which piqued my interest and my purchase: https://www.cloudyni...eces-can-focus/

I'm currently using it with a Delite 11mm at 18.18x magnification on a Sirui AM1204K tripod + K10 ballhead (which only goes up to about 173cm) for night sky (at bortle9) viewing when conditions permit but even more so for terrestrial viewing at critters, clouds, flora and scenery.

Some points related to your concerns:

1) The default scope + eyepiece weight about 600g. Even if you fit a Delos eyepiece on it, it would be around 1kg. A typical quality carbon fiber photo tripod and ballhead weigh less than 2kg will serve your children but not for someone at 6'4". I'm sure other members can give good recommendations for taller tripods or you can view while seated with a cheap and light foldable fishing/camping chair.

2) Scope cost US$349 at B&H Photo, a Delite 11mm @US$256. For more versatility, the Baader 8-24mm zoom might be better if eye-relief is not an issue. You might already have a set of good eyepieces for use on the scope too!

3) You only haul the bare necessities, truly grab and go.

4) The supplied scope "bag" is totally useless. However, being about 21-23cm long, 13-15cm tall and 7cm wide, it is SMALL, meaning it can easily fit into padded camera bags. I can fit my 10x42 binoculars and the hummingbird into my manfrotto windsor sling bag, with space for umbrella, water bottle and other small belongings. My Sirui tripod is either carried using its supplied bag or in a tote bag.

5) The hummingbird seems decently made and covered with rubber armor and with the default zoom eyepiece, "waterproof". It may change with the eyepiece you use. The main weak points of the scope are: A) The default zoom eyepiece showed too much barrel distortion, insufficient eye relief for me and the image starts to degrade above 20x. B) The plastic eyepiece locking wheel and C) Tight eyepiece mounting. I've found that the plastic eyepiece locking wheel is rather flimsy and prone to come off its threads if one turns too much in both directions. Also, when trying out delos and delites eyepieces, I've found that some do not really fit easily into the mounting hole and since I did not want to damage my scope and the astro-shop's eyepieces, I did not forced my way down. Bought the one Delite 11mm that fits which gave an excellent view for use as a fixed magnification scope.

6) When using the small scope with a ballhead on a tripod, it is easy, even for a child, to always hold the scope with both hands when search for targets, and to hold it with one hand while adjusting the focuser or other knobs on the ballhead. It is fun and a pleasure to use. When I have it set up in the park and harbor, I found myself looking through it more than my monarch hg 10x42 binoculars!

7) Being a 45 angled scope limits viewing at and near the zenith, but that could be a plus as it can get more mileage as a grab and go daytime spotting scope out in the woods and parks.

8) Note that the image quality during daytime is excellent with my Delite 11mm, but night time viewing at bright stars or light sources shows some "flaring", a short thin line of light pointing away from the light source. That light line is minimum when in focus and elongates when out of focus. It might be due to the optical limitations of the scope and/or due to the RACI prism in it. Only a minor shortcoming for me, but might be annoying for others!

9) Certain focal lengths of eyepieces might not be able to reach focus eg. Delos 17.3mm and 14mm. You have to either test personally or find out more in the abovementioned thread about the hummingbird.

10. The hummingbird is capable of wide FOV, provided the long FL eyepiece can reach focus and can fit into the scope! At 18.2x magnification using the 11mm Delite at 62 degrees AFOV, the 3.4 degrees FOV is manageable for me. Perhaps other members who have the hummingbird and wider AFOV eyepieces can give better opinions and options.

In any case, hope you can find the best scope and tripod mount for you and family!

That is an interesting idea.  I will have to look into it.  Thanks!

#14 kas20amc02

kas20amc02

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 November 2020 - 09:49 PM

If you feel comfortable consider buying used. Buying used allows me to afford better equipment and reduces depreciation if for whatever reason I resell later.

Fwiw I recently sold my 80mm triplet and plan to replace it with a 100mm doublelet refractor. The 80mm was great but I felt restrictioned by it's size under my skies. With careful choice of 100mm I hope to get better performance while, like you, still keeping the portiblity in the 20-25 lb range. Since I bought the 80mm used and sold for very similar price I can try this move without to much financial loss.

Why did you feel that an 80 mm restricted your abilities?  Too small of an aperture?  Something else?

#15 kas20amc02

kas20amc02

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 November 2020 - 10:05 PM

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far.  You have given me quite a bit to mull over.  

Several of yall asked about my current eyepieces.  They are:

The terrible things that came with the Polaris Meade (25, 9 and 4 mm) modified achromats, a type of bargain basement Kellner from what I gather

25 and 9 mm Celestron X-cel LX in 1.25 inch diameter: huge upgrade from the MAs, giving 25 and 75x on the Meade

2 inch diameter Baader Zoom.  I do not wear glasses to eye relief is not a problem.  

2 inch diameter 62 degree 32 mm Explore Scientific: my new favorite!

During my one year dive into astronomy I have learned the MVP is definitely the mount.  My Meade's manual GEQ was even a bigger hinderance to observing than the lousy eyepieces.  Some of yall's comments make me question using a camera tripod.  Light but unstable may equal light but unusable.  

I have been borrowing an 8 inch solid Orion Dob and a 12 inch truss Dob from my club.  My 10 inch solid Dob is on backorder (and has been for some time!)  

Lastly, for the several people who commented about buying used gear, that seems like a good idea.  My Baader zoom was used but in great shape.  Seems like supply is low and demand is high these days.  

Edited by kas20amc02, 23 November 2020 - 10:09 PM.

#16 f74265a

f74265a

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 November 2020 - 10:29 PM

The Porta II is a great mount, I love my 3 after getting rid of my 3 AZ4’s and 1 Twilight I. If there are tall people or will be tall people in your family the tall version is even better, topped off with an 80-100mm refractor of your choice ! Good Luck and Clear Skize !

I like the porta ii head a lot. Spring for the long remote control handles instead of the short stubby ones. The clutches are stiff enough that you can arrange to use heavy eyepieces without balance issues at least with my refractor. The tall tripod is light weight abd quite good, but the version I got does have one weak spot. Screwing in the Center triangle tray— for stability and storage— is a pain in the dark. If not used in the grass, vibration suppression pads help a ton. I ended up upgrading to a berlebach report and put my vixen head on it. It’s better but much more expensive and not essential. I run a tv85 on this set up. Your idea of a tv76 has merit.

#17 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 November 2020 - 11:12 PM

I like the porta ii head a lot. Spring for the long remote control handles instead of the short stubby ones. The clutches are stiff enough that you can arrange to use heavy eyepieces without balance issues at least with my refractor. The tall tripod is light weight abd quite good, but the version I got does have one weak spot. Screwing in the Center triangle tray— for stability and storage— is a pain in the dark. If not used in the grass, vibration suppression pads help a ton. I ended up upgrading to a berlebach report and put my vixen head on it. It’s better but much more expensive and not essential. I run a tv85 on this set up. Your idea of a tv76 has merit.

I have never used an eyepiece tray in the centre and have never had a stability problem, not even close and that includes on uneven ground ! They are definitely not required but they were put there to give the worriers a sense of security. So they can sleep peacefully, lol !

#18 kksmith

kksmith

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Montana

Posted 23 November 2020 - 11:14 PM

Simple choice for me - AT80ED and Porta II mount w/tall tripod. Complete grab-n-go with a ED level scope mounted on a quality alt/az mount. Money left over for incidentals.

Ken

• Rollo and BFaucett like this

#19 Haydon

Haydon

Mariner 2

Posted 24 November 2020 - 12:03 AM

My two cents would also be the AT80ED setup as described  by kksmith.  There’s a trade off to jumping to 100mm which is mount stability/vibrations.  If, on a Porta II mount the 80 is more stable than the 100, I’ll take the 80.  

#20 starmason

starmason

Vostok 1

• Loc: Winchester, Va

Posted 24 November 2020 - 01:50 AM

My AT-102ED (current version with sliding dew shield) on Vixen Porta-mount with Televue (or equal) wooden Tripod legs (which dampen any vibration) is a very good setup using both 2" wide field eyepieces for brighter DSO's as well as medium to high power  (around)  200x for planets, double stars and moon.

Can take a bit more power on good seeing nights.  Color is well controlled at reasonable power for a 4 inch ED doublet refractor.  Can be heavy for some if carried complete with eyepieces.   Make two trips and it can offer a good night's observing with a comfortable astro chair.  Very good price point and under 

the $1500 price including a couple of good quality eyepieces, 2" diagonal, barlow and lunar filter.  (No it is not a TV NP-101 but for the price it functions admirably).

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3237.jpg

• eros312, niteskystargazer, BFaucett and 2 others like this

#21 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:52 AM

I use one of my Porta II’s with my 20lb 127mm refractor and works great save for the higher powers and then you have to wait a few seconds for the shakes to stop and then the views pop out ! Its pretty solid even with the well built metal legs.

#22 cupton

cupton

Mariner 2

• Loc: Marshall Township, PA

Posted 24 November 2020 - 10:01 AM

My Porta II serves double duty for my ED80 and 127 Mak. No complaints and its in and out the door in seconds. I got the tall version even though I'm under 6". My thought was that I would have extra unextended leg on the tripod that could help with stability. Not sure the tall version was a necessary purchase but it was on sale. Normal viewing height of the tripod legs have a little more than half of the leg unextended.

1589a2df8769a07743458cc91a2d1d76.jpg

Edited by cupton, 24 November 2020 - 10:02 AM.

• payner, LDW47 and BFaucett like this

#23 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 November 2020 - 12:12 PM

My Porta II serves double duty for my ED80 and 127 Mak. No complaints and its in and out the door in seconds. I got the tall version even though I'm under 6". My thought was that I would have extra unextended leg on the tripod that could help with stability. Not sure the tall version was a necessary purchase but it was on sale. Normal viewing height of the tripod legs have a little more than half of the leg unextended.

1589a2df8769a07743458cc91a2d1d76.jpg

I wish one of my 3 was the tall version !

• cupton likes this

#24 gwlee

gwlee

Vanguard

• Loc: 38N 120W

Posted 24 November 2020 - 01:08 PM

With careful choice of 100mm I hope to get better performance while, like you, still keeping the portiblity in the 20-25 lb range. Since I bought the 80mm used and sold for very similar price I can try this move without to much financial loss.

I haven’t used a 4” refractor, mount, and tripod yet that I consider adequately mounted that weighed less than about 35#. It’s easy to go lighter if you can tolerate some shakiness in a scope though. 

Edited by gwlee, 24 November 2020 - 01:11 PM.

#25 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 November 2020 - 01:30 PM

Who in their right mind is going to pay hundreds of $’s more, carry more weight and bulk to try and eliminate a bit of shakiness because many times they are pushing the scope well beyond its magnification limits, its capabilities if you will, in the first place ? Now I said in their right state of mind, lol !  PS:  And they forget that most nites the skies won’t let them, like it or not !  I guess its all in the name of astronomy ?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment, refractor, tripod, LP

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics