•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cleaning and regreasing focus on old German roof prism binoculars

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:19 AM

I've disassembled, cleaned and regreased several pairs of run-of-the-mill Japanese porro prism binoculars without much problem. Now I have an old pair of Hensoldt roof prism binos with a very stiff focus mechanism and I want to give them the same treatment, but I'm not sure about the differences in the design of the focuser. I don't want to start unscrewing or removing things based on my knowledge of porros, and end up messing up the roofs. Can anyone share some tips based on their experience?

#2 Couder

Couder

Viking 1

• Loc: Mansfield, Missouri in the Ozarks

Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:55 AM

I take plenty pictures as the procedure progresses - they're easy to delete. I also take light cardboard and label where each screw came from and put it in a hole in the cardboard. Make notes of your disassembly, sometimes how to put it back together is not as straightforward as we hope. A complete guide is in my signature.

#3 Ant1

Ant1

Messenger

Posted 24 November 2020 - 10:07 AM

Hi

Specific to roof prisms : don't hurt the roof edge.

Regards

Ant1

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics