•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is the grass really greener in Bino-telescope land?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#51 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 24 December 2020 - 11:40 AM

I am glad I stuck to my instincts and didn’t go up a size. This is plenty of bino for me! It seems like it will work on these legs pretty well. Not rock solid, but serviceable. I’ll try sitting down too and see how that works out. Daytime views are great of course. Lichen never looked so good! Just wow wow wow! snoopy2.gif

Congratulations on your new binoculars..

One thing that's confusing me...

I thought this thread was about green grass and honestly, there's more green grass in the desert than in your photos. :lol:

Jon

• BRCoz, sonny.barile, ArsMachina and 2 others like this

#52 erin

erin

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: MA

Posted 24 December 2020 - 12:00 PM

Congratulations on your new binoculars..

One thing that's confusing me...

I thought this thread was about green grass and honestly, there's more green grass in the desert than in your photos. lol.gif

Jon

Thanks Jon! lol.gif I know, right? 

#53 erin

erin

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 December 2020 - 12:03 PM

Santa came early!

Looks like they are using the same center body and back prism assembly for the various binos. Yours look like the same width as my 100's. That's good. Helps keep the price down to use a lot of the same parts. 

Enjoy those 2 eyed views!! 

If you are curious, the width near the objectives is 8.5 inches. Near the eyepieces, it is 7.5 inches.

Thank you!

#54 dustyc

dustyc

Viking 1

• Loc: Phoenix,AZ

Posted 24 December 2020 - 12:15 PM

Huh, I just measured mine. 8 inches and 9 inches at objectives. 

Oh well. 

Spent my 1st 25 years in snow country. I don't miss it. 

Make sure you try some terrestrial viewing. High power views really compress the field of view.

• erin likes this

#55 erin

erin

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 December 2020 - 01:43 PM

Yes—I intend to!waytogo.gif

#56 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 25 December 2020 - 12:40 PM

congratulations on the new binoculars

but (a little late)

I have found, for me, selling stuff I like creates regrets,

sometimes rebuying episodes

edj

• erin likes this

#57 erin

erin

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 December 2020 - 01:09 PM

Thanks edj! I know exactly what you mean. Oddly, I don’t regret selling the Access, but am holding onto my 16x80s and 90mm achro because I might regret selling them off. Those get a lot of use. 

• sonny.barile and mrsjeff like this

#58 erin

erin

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 December 2020 - 10:25 AM

Skies cleared out Saturday night, finally! I took my new BT out on my OB 5000 head/Orion TTII rig. I used my BST 19mm FF's, the supplied 14mm's, and 6mm Orion Expanses, giving me 20x, 28x, and 65x respectively. I'll have to spread that out a bit next time...anyway....

First impressions:

WOW!

Last impressions:

WOW!

But that makes for a boring report so....

First target was the moon. Crystal clear. It was as if the terminator line was chiseled against the black sky, and that was just with 20x. Contrast was superb--craters and rays stood out starkly against the maria, even in the fully lit side. At 65x, getting a well collimated view was more difficult and I knew it could be--I just wanted to see what "high magnification" looks like with this BT. What surprised me about this view was how much sky there still was around the moon. It is one thing to know that this is more bino than telescope, but seeing it really gave perspective!

I took a peak at Albireo between sucker holes and the color contrast just popped! I mean, it always does with this double, but I dunno...it just made me smile. 

Next was Vega and the Double Double at 65x. Here is where merging got tricky, but I tried anyway for funsies. I'm not positive, but I think the DD was close to split at 65x. Maybe that is optimistic, but where the sky was clear, the seeing was good, so maybe? Or maybe it was the water in my eyes? I will try next time with my 9mm orthos. That'll be more in line with the BT's capabilities.

Later, I went out again to visit Orion, Sirius, Puppis (where I got a good look at M93...a new to me cluster!), Cassiopeia and Perseus. Just visiting old friends and having fun. This time I stuck with the 14mm. 

Here is the stand out view/observation: 

I SAW COLOR IN A FAINTER STAR IN THE DOUBLE CLUSTER!!!!

I have looked at this cluster a lot, but I have never detected color besides white/blue. It was one of the super red giants between the 2 clusters. I think it was FZ Persei, but it could have been AD Persei since they are both about the same magnitude. This is soooo cool! I will have to practice color detection some more. 

This BT and I are going to have a lot of fun! It worked very well on the Orion legs. I was pleasantly surprised. A bit shakey when focusing, and I may try with the counterweight to see if that helps. I will point out that the Orion Tritech doesn’t get as tall as the OB 5000 tripod. This is no issue for me as I am 5’4”, but would be an issue for someone taller.

I found the 45 degree angle to be comfortable. I am used to straight through viewing, so any angle is a huge improvement. The fit and finish and mechanics are fabulous. Nothing is too loose or tight. 

I am one happy sky watcher! grin.gif

• Mark9473, BRCoz, sonny.barile and 3 others like this

#59 duck2k

duck2k

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Fountain Hills, AZ

Posted 28 December 2020 - 11:18 AM

“I SAW COLOR IN A FAINTER STAR IN THE DOUBLE CLUSTER!!!!

I have looked at this cluster a lot, but I have never detected color besides white/blue. It was one of the super red giants between the 2 clusters. I think it was FZ Persei, but it could have been AD Persei since they are both about the same magnitude. This is soooo cool! I will have to practice color detection some more. “

That was a great report Erin. What triggered me was the above statement.  If the red star is directly between the two clusters, that is Frank Zappa Persei (FZ, I call it that because I am a demented fan).  That is one of the variable stars I have been observing. Last month, it got dimmer (about an 8+ magnitude). It is at 7.96 now. I might have to dig out what lower magnitude it was for accuracy. It is one of those variable stars that does not have a pulsing fit, like others.  It varies over a period of 180 days.

Clear Skies, and enjoy that BT!:)

• sonny.barile and erin like this

#60 erin

erin

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 December 2020 - 12:39 PM

Thanks for sharing, Duck! Yeah, I'm pretty sure that has got to be the one. It looked smack in the middle. That's so cool that you have been observing it smile.gif

Will do!

• sonny.barile and duck2k like this

#61 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Surveyor 1

• Loc: In the class 8/9 glow.....somewhere between the city and the stadiums.

Posted 28 December 2020 - 02:40 PM

If you like FZ Persei, check out HD16068 in nearby Trumpler2 (TR2). It’s about half way to Miriam and is the same magnitude. 

Edited by sonny.barile, 28 December 2020 - 02:41 PM.

• duck2k likes this

#62 erin

erin

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 December 2020 - 03:16 PM

Super! Thanks Sonny. I added it to my observing list!

#63 duck2k

duck2k

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 December 2020 - 07:05 PM

Another interesting type of star to observe, are carbon stars.  I started getting into it with a friend. We have a list of the carbon and which optic to use (binos, or telescope). The Astro League has great info on carbon stars.

CS:)

#64 erin

erin

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 December 2020 - 07:12 PM

Cool! So, what is “the draw” with carbon stars? What makes them fun? I haven’t heard much about them.

• duck2k likes this

#65 duck2k

duck2k

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 December 2020 - 07:30 PM

My friend and I mostly observe them because they are beautiful to look at. They look so beautiful in a star field of other colored stars. They can range from bright orange to a deep blood red. They are so cool to look at. Carbon stars mostly red giants that have used up their hydrogen.

Edited by duck2k, 28 December 2020 - 08:14 PM.

#66 erin

erin

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 December 2020 - 07:31 PM

That’s the best reason! I will need to add some of these to my list too. Thanks!

#67 grzesznypl

grzesznypl

Viking 1

• Loc: Jackson Heights, NY ... for now

Posted 29 December 2020 - 12:23 PM

Carbon stars can come in many diversified colors. Look at the color palette from "CARBON STARS WILL MAKE YOU SEE RED" article to understand why astronomers find them beautiful.

Carbon-red-color-block-Ingrid-Sundburg_S

Edited by grzesznypl, 29 December 2020 - 01:45 PM.

• sonny.barile, ArsMachina, duck2k and 1 other like this

#68 duck2k

duck2k

Apollo

• -----

Posted 29 December 2020 - 01:33 PM

Carbon stars can come in many diversified colors. Look at the color palette from "CARBON STARS WILL MAKE YOU SEE RED" article to understand why astronomers find then beautiful.

Carbon-red-color-block-Ingrid-Sundburg_S

Enjoyed the article. Exactly why I love observing carbon stars.:)

• erin and grzesznypl like this

#69 erin

erin

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 December 2020 - 02:58 PM

Fantastic article! Thanks for posting the link Greg. I had heard the term before but never looked into it. Wow! I will be looking for these gems. waytogo.gif  

• duck2k and grzesznypl like this

#70 grzesznypl

grzesznypl

Viking 1

• Loc: Jackson Heights, NY ... for now

Posted 29 December 2020 - 03:12 PM

There is link in this article but if you missed it, here is link to more comprehensive list of carbon stars by Astronomical League

BTW nice binos grin.gif

• duck2k and erin like this

#71 erin

erin

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 December 2020 - 03:17 PM

lol.gif

Why, thank you!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics