•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nikon or Orion 10X50

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 NeilCalif

NeilCalif

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 November 2020 - 05:00 PM

Hello everyone. I can not decide between the Nikon Acula 10 X 50 and the Orion Ultraview 10 X 50. The Nikon have an aspherical eyepiece. I am not sure the Orions have the same feature. But the Orions are fully multicoated. Any suggestions?

#2 MisterDan

MisterDan

Vostok 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 24 November 2020 - 05:40 PM

Are you able to try either of them?  How they "hold" and feel in your hands may be a key factor.  It might be prudent to order and try both (in the hands and at the eyes), then return the pair you don't prefer.

If you don't wish to (or can't) order and try both, then sit tight and see if somebody who has tried both can offer their first-hand impressions.

The presence of an aspheric element may prove beneficial (and noticeable) - it all depends on its design and integration in the optical train.  However, it may make little or no visual difference at all.  Again - if you're able to try them, I recommend doing so.

With regard to whether or not every air-glass surface in the Aculon is broadband multicoated:  that would be very low on my own list of deciding factors - well behind ergonomics, eye relief, axial and peripheral fidelity, weight, and price.

The Ultraview eyepieces claim 22mm of eye relief.  The Aculon's claim about 12mm.  If you need to wear glasses when viewing through your future 10x50s, then you may have your answer.

Best wishes and luck.

Dan

Edited by MisterDan, 24 November 2020 - 05:47 PM.

• KennyJ likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics