•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Steiner Shadowquest - value of hash marks diopter adjustment?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Stuart W Johnson

Stuart W Johnson

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 November 2020 - 05:12 PM

Does anyone know how much adjustment for diopter the Steiner Shadowquest 8x56 binoculars have?

There are hash marks. But, the manual doesn’t say what the value is.

#2 DeanD

DeanD

Ranger 4

• Loc: South Australia

Posted 24 November 2020 - 05:31 PM

I believe they are individual focus, not central focus: so the "diopter" adjustment is actually the focus for both eyepieces. This means they have to be focussed separately for each eye and this automatically compensates for differences with your eyes. The downside is that they aren't as quick to focus for day-light use as cf binos.

#3 Stuart W Johnson

Stuart W Johnson

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 November 2020 - 05:42 PM

Yes. One for each eye. What is the value of each hash mark?

#4 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Viking 1

Posted 24 November 2020 - 06:47 PM

generally each hashmark is usually one diopter- at least on the bino's that I've used in the past with the exception of 7x50 when it is  often 1/2 diopter.   Regards, Pat

#5 Stuart W Johnson

Stuart W Johnson

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 November 2020 - 06:57 PM

I was guessing 1/2 too. I just can’t find anything to confirm it. When I got my last eye glass prescription, I was +0.75 right eye and +0.25 left eye. It would be nice to just be able to dial that in on the binoculars if I could confirm the hash mark values.

#6 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Viking 1

Posted 24 November 2020 - 07:03 PM

Most binoculars have quite a range of accomodation- the worst I've seen is a couple of 7x50's - individual focus where I hade to move the objectives back in their cells for them to be useful with my nearsightedness of-3.25, -3.75 diopters correction.

Maybe SMark will chime in.                                                                            Regards, Pat

#7 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

• Loc: Switzerland

Posted 25 November 2020 - 02:24 AM

Does anyone know how much adjustment for diopter the Steiner Shadowquest 8x56 binoculars have?

There are hash marks. But, the manual doesn’t say what the value is.

I can measure and report back.

Pinac

#8 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

• Loc: Switzerland

Posted 25 November 2020 - 05:22 AM

My rough measurement indicates each hashmark corresponds to 1 dpt.

This means you can adjust focus on both eyepieces about + / - 6 dpt.

(And:
"Sports Auto Focus" still does not work, despite Steiner's claim, so you will have to adjust focus for your respective observation distance yourself, unfortunately lol.gif, as with any other decent binocular ...
That being said, I still like my Shadowquest/Nighthunter and most of my other Steiner binos)

Pinac

Edited by Pinac, 25 November 2020 - 05:24 AM.

#9 Stuart W Johnson

Stuart W Johnson

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:24 AM

Thanks Pinac.

#10 garret

garret

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Netherlands

Posted 25 November 2020 - 03:41 PM

"Sports Auto Focus" still does not work, despite Steiner's claim, so you will have to adjust focus for your respective observation distance yourself, unfortunately lol.gif, as with any other decent binocular ...

I have one on order, delivering for tomorrow, maybe I find the secret auto focus button somewhere...

#11 garret

garret

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Netherlands

Posted 25 November 2020 - 03:42 PM

I have one on order, delivering for tomorrow, maybe I find the secret auto focus button somewhere...

#12 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Viking 1

Posted 25 November 2020 - 04:13 PM

I see dark skies filled with lightning and thunder on the horizonlol.gif . Looking forward to hearing of first light.  Regards, Pat

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics