•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Glad I pulled out and dusted off the Hyperstar last night

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 descott12

descott12

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 24 November 2020 - 05:34 PM

I have been messing around with longer focal lengths for quite some time and I completely forgot about my Hyperstar for over a year. Well last night, I pulled it out and I had a great night.  Bortle 7 and 50% moon.

All taken with my Evo 8 on my SW AZ-EQ5 mount using a 294MC Pro and an IDAS LPS P2 filter.  Used darks and flats made with my LED panel. I think the LPS filter really helps.  Sorry, I had my camera flipped improperly so things might look a little different...

Horsehead - Gain 297, Exp 19.2, total time 8:06. I hate the glare from Alnitak but what are you going to do.

M1 - Gain 327, Expo 26.2, total time 10:26. I have went for this one many times at longer focal lengths thinking the smaller image scale would help but this is by far my most detailed image. I was very happy with this one.

M31 - Gain 162, Exp 60 seconds, total time 35 minutes. The core is very easy to blow out so I had to lower the gain quite a bit. This was my longest exposure date. My mount handled the 60 second exposure just fine with just a rough PA. Definitely the short FL helped in that regard. While 35 minutes is not really EAA anymore, I just wanted to see how much of the disk I could get. I am surprised that the LPS filter didn't kill this one.  The general wisdom is that galaxies should suffer from LPS filters but it appears to have done ok. Definitely my best to date and it was getting a bit cold outside so I was viewing this remotely from inside using VNC. Got love that!  You can see that I am having trouble with my flats in the corners. They help but making flats with this filter (and my ZWO Duoband) can be tricky.

Rosette Nebula - Gain 338, Exp 14.5 seconds, total time 15 minutes. Definitely my most detailed to date.

Enjoy

Attached Thumbnails

• 00362.jpg
  • 00363.jpg
  • 00365.jpg

Edited by descott12, 24 November 2020 - 05:38 PM.

• Ptarmigan, Starman27, Rickster and 17 others like this

#2 descott12

descott12

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 24 November 2020 - 05:34 PM

And the last one...

Attached Thumbnails

• 00360.jpg

• Ptarmigan, Starman27, Rickster and 11 others like this

#3 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 24 November 2020 - 05:59 PM

Nice, Dave. Alnitak is not looking too bad in my opinion.

• descott12 likes this

#4 Hobby Astronomer

Hobby Astronomer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Texas

Posted 24 November 2020 - 10:13 PM

Great images!

HA

#5 dcweaver

dcweaver

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Silicon Valley

Posted 09 December 2020 - 11:52 PM

Dave, do you use the 50mm guide scope / ASI120 as a “digital” finder or do you actually guide with it.  I was thinking about the same hardware so I could do alignments with Nexremote from inside the house.

How do you like the AZ-EQ5.  I was considering a similar setup with a C8.  Mount noise is a consideration for me due to the proximity of neighbors open windows in the summer, and I have read the Sky-watcher is very quiet.

#6 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Skylab

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 10 December 2020 - 03:18 AM

Great stuff Dave! 

I embraced f/6.3 not too long after you having previously embraced Hyperstar for three years. It was simply a thirst to explore some (apparently) smaller objects.  Ever since, I can count the number of clear nights suitable for viewing on one hand. UK cloud at my location throughout 2020 has been diabolical. I am nowhere near completing my f/6.3 journey!

But oddly, at my last brief session under horrible thin whispy cloud I did switch back to Hyperstar and the additional penetration I got at f/2 compared f/6.3 was conspicuous. This was simply the product of faster photon capture. Maybe I am simply too impatient at f/6.3. But then I am an observer rather than imager. 

Not sure what next having been inspired by your images! 

• descott12 and Nightwatchers like this

#7 descott12

descott12

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 10 December 2020 - 08:17 AM

Dave, do you use the 50mm guide scope / ASI120 as a “digital” finder or do you actually guide with it.  I was thinking about the same hardware so I could do alignments with Nexremote from inside the house.

How do you like the AZ-EQ5.  I was considering a similar setup with a C8.  Mount noise is a consideration for me due to the proximity of neighbors open windows in the summer, and I have read the Sky-watcher is very quiet.

Hi DW,

I use it for both. It is great for manual finding, but it works beautifully for my plate solver. And I have been getting into longer exposures (especially for spectroscopy - 1 minute x 30 or so) so I have been guiding with phd2.  Really a great combo for alot of things.

Yes, I love the AZ-EQ5. Originally I was scared to move from the ease of Alt-Az and fully assumed I would not use EQ mode but I have  never actually used it in Alt-Az. EQ offers so many benefits. But, I do have a permanent setup in a little observatory on my roof. If I had to setup every night then that would be a different story.

The mount is near flawless. It had zero backlash for the first 6 months but things have loosened up a bit (probably needs some adjustment) and there is a little now but still very minimal. All around, I can't recommend this mount more. And it can do the dual scope config when in Alt-Az mode.

• Todd1561 likes this

#8 dwkdnvr

dwkdnvr

Vostok 1

• Loc: Northern NM

Posted 10 December 2020 - 10:43 AM

Yes, I love the AZ-EQ5. Originally I was scared to move from the ease of Alt-Az and fully assumed I would not use EQ mode but I have  never actually used it in Alt-Az. EQ offers so many benefits. But, I do have a permanent setup in a little observatory on my roof. If I had to setup every night then that would be a different story.

The mount is near flawless. It had zero backlash for the first 6 months but things have loosened up a bit (probably needs some adjustment) and there is a little now but still very minimal. All around, I can't recommend this mount more. And it can do the dual scope config when in Alt-Az mode.

That's good to hear - I have a Sirius Pro on the way. I'm definitely attracted to the flexibility of Az mode - too bad you haven't had a chance to use it that way. My hope is that it can handle an 8" f/4 in Az mode for EAA, but this might be overly optimistic.

It sounds like these mounts had some problems with backlash / worm gear adjustment early on. I have my fingers crossed that they've largely been resolved.

#9 Todd1561

Todd1561

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 11 December 2020 - 08:44 AM

But, I do have a permanent setup in a little observatory on my roof. If I had to setup every night then that would be a different story..

Hey Dave can you elaborate more of this roof setup you have?  I do something similar by plopping my 6SE out on a relatively flat roof through a window and align it with starsense.  All the while never actually stepping on the roof and introducing movement.  This works surprisingly well and is super simple to set up. I’ve considered going the GEM route but I’m not sure I’ll be able to use my roof location because of the more complicated setup/alignment required. 

#10 descott12

descott12

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 11 December 2020 - 09:03 AM

Hey Dave can you elaborate more of this roof setup you have?  I do something similar by plopping my 6SE out on a relatively flat roof through a window and align it with starsense.  All the while never actually stepping on the roof and introducing movement.  This works surprisingly well and is super simple to set up. I’ve considered going the GEM route but I’m not sure I’ll be able to use my roof location because of the more complicated setup/alignment required. 

Here is an hold post:

https://www.cloudyni...7-star-nest-20/

That is with my old Evol Alt-Az mount but I think you get the idea. It is small but it works really well.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics