•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Large display with ASIair Pro?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 adamsdp

adamsdp

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 November 2020 - 05:39 PM

What are good options for a large high resolution screen for use with the Asiair Pro?  I am using an Ipad now with my asi224 and upgradiing soon to the asi533/C6/Night Owl.  Would it be possible to use a 4k tv or monitor by connecting the Ipad with an adapter?   Are there large 4k tablets that would be a good choice or are there other ways that would work better?  I have read that some users of Sharpcap have a computer at the scope with a second computer/large 4k monitor controlling it remotely.  So far I like the simplicity of the ASIair pro and it is nice to have the wireless connection to the Ipad.  I can sit in a chair near the scope or go inside.  Is there a loss of resolution when projecting from an Ipad to tv or monitor?  I have seen some really nice eaa images posted by experienced users and wondering if they will benefit from going to a larger high resolution display or would it become grainy when it is enlarged?  Thank you.

#2 droe

droe

Apollo

• Loc: Fenton, Mi

Posted 24 November 2020 - 06:00 PM

I use my large screen laptop with BlueStacks emulator. Works great. You should be able to work that up to a monitor or large TV.

• adamsdp likes this

#3 adamsdp

adamsdp

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:47 PM

I use my large screen laptop with BlueStacks emulator. Works great. You should be able to work that up to a monitor or large TV.

Thanks for the reply and I will check out the emulator.  Do you have any difficulties with the wifi connection from your laptop to the ASIair Pro?  I bet the views are good.  Did you notice the images became grainy when you went to a large monitor?

#4 droe

droe

Apollo

Posted 24 November 2020 - 11:26 PM

Image quality is very good on the computer. That may be different on a large screen tv but I assume it would still be good. 

That range of the ASIAir is not great. From where I setup to my comfy chair I needed to setup 2 wifi extenders. With that it works great. This is good for monitoring progress. When I setup or make adjustments to my plan I tend to go out to my setup so I get a better connection.

I think this will make a better setup this winter then sitting out there in the cold.

Edited by droe, 24 November 2020 - 11:27 PM.

• adamsdp likes this

#5 Alien Observatory

Alien Observatory

Apollo

• Vendors

Posted 24 November 2020 - 11:55 PM

You can mirror the ASIAir iPad view/image to a Mac using Quick Time as I have done in the past... Pat Utah :)

• adamsdp likes this

#6 adamsdp

adamsdp

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 November 2020 - 08:08 AM

Image quality is very good on the computer. That may be different on a large screen tv but I assume it would still be good. 

That range of the ASIAir is not great. From where I setup to my comfy chair I needed to setup 2 wifi extenders. With that it works great. This is good for monitoring progress. When I setup or make adjustments to my plan I tend to go out to my setup so I get a better connection.

I think this will make a better setup this winter then sitting out there in the cold.

Thanks for the help.  When you make adjustments, do you carry your laptop outside or is it possible to have 2 devices connected to the ASIair at once- say the Ipad for when you want to go outside and the laptop/desktop for indoors?  With black friday sales, I am thinking the 4k is the way to go for a monitor but the 4k laptops are pricy and just wanted to see if I go the laptop route, if the extra money for a 4k display is worth it for eaa.

Edited by adamsdp, 25 November 2020 - 10:15 AM.

#7 droe

droe

Apollo

Posted 25 November 2020 - 01:54 PM

Thanks for the help.  When you make adjustments, do you carry your laptop outside or is it possible to have 2 devices connected to the ASIair at once- say the Ipad for when you want to go outside and the laptop/desktop for indoors?  With black friday sales, I am thinking the 4k is the way to go for a monitor but the 4k laptops are pricy and just wanted to see if I go the laptop route, if the extra money for a 4k display is worth it for eaa.

I just use my phone or tablet and tap into the asiair network directly. I have found you can have 2 devices connected but 3 devices seems to be a problem.

• adamsdp likes this

#8 adamsdp

adamsdp

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 November 2020 - 02:24 PM

I just use my phone or tablet and tap into the asiair network directly. I have found you can have 2 devices connected but 3 devices seems to be a problem.

That is good to hear.  I am thinking I can get a 4k monitor for my desktop computer and use the Ipad when I want to be outside.  4k monitors are a whole lot cheaper than a laptop with 4k display so planning to go that route unless there is some advantage to the laptop I am not thinking of.  Thanks!

#9 adamsdp

adamsdp

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 November 2020 - 02:25 PM

You can mirror the ASIAir iPad view/image to a Mac using Quick Time as I have done in the past... Pat Utah smile.gif

Thanks and I will check out mirroring to other devices as well.

#10 brunoh

brunoh

Explorer 1

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 29 November 2020 - 10:03 PM

You can mirror the ASIAir iPad view/image to a Mac using Quick Time as I have done in the past... Pat Utah smile.gif

...or use an Apple TV to mirror the IPad to the big screen TV.

Edited by brunoh, 29 November 2020 - 10:03 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics