•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Spotting scopes on ebay amazon etc

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 greggy

greggy

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 November 2020 - 06:48 PM

Hi all,

Not sure if this is best forum for this.

I am also looking for a budget spotting scope, it will be for use on a range for sighting in.

There are a number of svbony scopes in 20 to 60....  60mm, 70 and 80......will prob never be used at 1000 yards, most use will be   25, 50, 100 and 200...

I have hadbone before, it would not be much good at 60, but short if that, all good, its bigger prob was a loose mounting point....so....wobble wobble wobble...lol....anyway not sure where it went.

In au dollars, svbony can be had for approx 80 to 150 for the 80mm one, that is like 50 to less than 100 US.

Any suggestions ?  Anyone used these ?

I guess my main concern is decent mount point, useable at say 40x...and not needing my eyeball touching the thing to see what is going on.

As a side thought, would a phone camera adapter be worthwhile so you can see at a glance where things are landing ?

#2 FLT-Astro

FLT-Astro

Explorer 1

• Loc: AL, USA

Posted 24 November 2020 - 08:13 PM

If you order one, make sure you have free returns and do not have to pay restocking or any other scam charges. I've tried a few of the cheaper scopes. Mostly not very clear above 25-30x but there are exceptions. I know it's obvious but you get what you pay for. There's a reason they are cheaper.

I use the small Roxant Blackbird at 100 yards and it can easily resolve 22cal and 17hmr at 100yds on white paper and extremely easy with splatter targets. I've never tried it at longer distances so I can't recommend. Might pull it out tomorrow with my range finder and try it on the neighbors house at 200yds using gutter nails and such to simulate bullet holes.  Another note... the first Blackbird scope had issues with the focus. I contacted Roxant and they sent out another immediately. So I actually have two. The good one still works after two years and the broken, I fixed so it works too.

I'm not a Roxant salesman, if you're wondering. ; ) Hope this helps.

Edited by FLT-Astro, 24 November 2020 - 08:15 PM.

#3 daniel_h

daniel_h

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: VIC, Australia

Posted 25 November 2020 - 03:12 AM

i’d only grab the 80ed version of it were me, but think it’s 350. short fast achromats don’t usually do well, the s bony zoom 8-24 gets decent reviews here

i have an aus geographic 70mm mak, i bought the 12.5mm ep giving either 20x w standard ep, or 65x - still gives reasonable views, not waterproof though

decent tripod is another important point, don’t skimp there

#4 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 25 November 2020 - 01:12 PM

call our sponsor Astronomics

edj

#5 greggy

greggy

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 November 2020 - 08:07 PM

i’d only grab the 80ed version of it were me, but think it’s 350. short fast achromats don’t usually do well, the s bony zoom 8-24 gets decent reviews here

i have an aus geographic 70mm mak, i bought the 12.5mm ep giving either 20x w standard ep, or 65x - still gives reasonable views, not waterproof though

decent tripod is another important point, don’t skimp there

Where are the spot scope reviews ?

Everywhere I look I see SVbony, maybe it is recognised enough so if I want to resell later....

There is so many models though....

I have concluded I am prob best with angled viewfinder & a collar that allows rotation of viewfinder.

As I will mainly use it at the range and in day, I am not overly fussed by size, 60, 70 or 80 should suffice. I will not use on 60x on any of them anyway as I know around 40x will prob be best spot.

I will post some ebay links in AU dollars, but ..

15 odd to 25 odd x 60 can be had for under 100

there is one 20-60 x80 that can be bought for 140, an near identical spec wise one is nearer 200.

I know the cheaper will have def worse optics, but I am now mulling over just how big an item I want sitting on a bench next to me too.

I do not need anything with a tripod, I have good manfrotto tripods, including large ones with gimbal.

I am not that into astronomy, but seeing I have good tripods and live in the country, it is not impossible that it may be used for other things, so I guess I have to weigh that up too.

The boss wants me to have a budget of zero bucks....lol....mmmm

• daniel_h likes this

#6 greggy

greggy

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 November 2020 - 08:14 PM

https://www.ebay.com...tm/274568780367

https://www.ebay.com...qUAAOSwI4VdXl98

The one below also comes in angled viewfinder.

https://www.amazon.c...0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Edited by greggy, 26 November 2020 - 09:09 PM.

#7 greggy

greggy

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 November 2020 - 09:12 PM

Some further musing, the straight may work better if I want to use a phone camera to have a live screen ?  From a bench, it may also not make much difference if only for this purpose.

Any reason to look into whether porro prism or BAK4 ?

The one with 75x may mean more useable if target goes past 100 possibly ?

#8 opticchase

opticchase

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mission Viejo, CA

Posted 26 November 2020 - 10:23 PM

The straight through spotter is much less trouble in acquiring a target.  I have an angled  85mm and spend a lot of time reducing  magnification to pick up the target then increasing mag then having to refocus since focus will change some as mag changes.  When at the shooting bench there is always a reason to nudge the tripod and at high mag your looking at gravel now. Same problem with astronomical use but at least there is the benefit of less neck strain. I would  go with the straight version. I've been shooting since Hector was a pup and that's my experience.

#9 greggy

greggy

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 November 2020 - 06:13 AM

I can see plus and minus for both........

I am negotiating on a 25 to 74 bak4 angled, but I notice it has aiming notches on side.....I do not think movement will be less with either in practicality....I would prob rather straight with a dslr hung off the end thought. Wont be doing that with budget glass.

If it is no good, will sell and buy another.....

#10 daniel_h

daniel_h

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 November 2020 - 05:43 PM

Some further musing, the straight may work better if I want to use a phone camera to have a live screen ?  From a bench, it may also not make much difference if only for this purpose.

Any reason to look into whether porro prism or BAK4 ?

The one with 75x may mean more useable if target goes past 100 possibly ?

usually a low cost scope with a 75x magnification will give a poor image at that magnification, ive seen decent scopes struggle at 50x, i tried an aus geographic spotter wh=hich was ok at 20x, then degraded by 30x

Edited by daniel_h, 27 November 2020 - 05:47 PM.

#11 daniel_h

daniel_h

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 November 2020 - 05:46 PM

they state the 60mm is entry level, that tells me image quality is not great, the 80mm is waterproof/nitrogen filled which is a good feature, but 80mm might be a bit big for you needs. can you find a celestron hummingbird 9-27x56ED at a decent price?

this one 339 https://www.ebay.com...CMAAOSw7FFeM4Cc

Edited by daniel_h, 27 November 2020 - 05:47 PM.

#12 FLT-Astro

FLT-Astro

Explorer 1

Posted 27 November 2020 - 07:53 PM

Here's a link to a bunch of video reviews.  I watched a few for fun. Notice when they talk about the scopes past 100m/yds they'll say things like "gathers details" or "will focus past 100" but the only time they'll talk about clarity of bullet holes is at 100 m/yds.  But there are a few exceptions but not under a hundred dollars.  Like I recommended before.  Make sure you can return it with minimal cost, especially if you buy the cheap one. Good luck, you're going to need it if you buy the cheap one. ; )

https://www.amazon.c...=emc_b_5_i?th=1

The video reviews are near the bottom of the page, recommend you at a minimum watch the 4th and 5th video. (Labeled "the 5 best..." and "Best spotting scopes".

Edited by FLT-Astro, 27 November 2020 - 07:59 PM.

#13 FLT-Astro

FLT-Astro

Explorer 1

Posted 27 November 2020 - 09:24 PM

Here's a review from Amazon and it's honest IMO.

Marc
4.0 out of 5 stars Good Bang for Your Buck with This Scope.
Reviewed in the United States on January 5, 2018
Style: 80 - 45°Configuration: Spotting Scope Verified Purchase $194 today (black friday)

I picked up the Celestron 52250 80mm Ultimate Zoom Spotting Scope to use sighting in targets at 100 yards. Previously, I purchased and compared three inexpensive 20-60X60 scopes. The chromatic aberration and overall quality of those scopes was horrible. The brands tested were SVBONY, ENKEEO and AOMEKIE all ordered from Amazon. Don’t waste your time or money on any of those.

Edited by FLT-Astro, 27 November 2020 - 09:25 PM.

#14 greggy

greggy

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 November 2020 - 12:12 AM

I pulled the trigger, so to speak, on an svbony.

They have so many models, and are obviously active & will be improving I would say at a guess.

got a 70mm....it has bak4 prism and multi coated lenses. I could see when some reviews were being done, that this scope showed no reflections as they went about things, the others showed me what was going on behind the camera :) That was while sitting on a table.

I am using it for spotting, I imagine 40x will be where it sits, I do not care much about the edges or even colour. If it does better than I expect, good, in other words, I am not setting the bar high.

Seeing I am trying to see what happens in a 4x scope or a 9x, I know the spot scope will magnify more, it is prob a safe bet.

it is not the cheapest one, but has many features of the expensive one and near same layout as far as optics, has no tripod (who cares, would be junk anyway), no 2 stage focus (I can live with that) if on 40x it should not be a lot different to the 80mm on 50x assuming coatings and prism near same.

I appreciate the thoughts, as I will keep looking anyways.

Also will try and remember to update with thoughts.

• daniel_h likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics