•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

2nd telescope but 1st Dob

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 FarmerFrederico

FarmerFrederico

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Boulder, Colorado

Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:31 PM

Hi!

My signature shows my current setup and I plan to keep it.  It’s great for travel and fun for kids too.  I’ve traditionally had the moon in view for Halloween trick-or-treaters and probably given a first look through a quality telescope for over 200 kids and parents over the years.  It’s great for terrestrial viewing as well, or a quick peak at the moon from the bedroom window.

So, I don’t really see myself getting too excited about the faint fuzzies.  The moon, planets, clusters, and doubles are still my favorites in that order but I’m kind of wanting more detail now with an increase in aperture.  I’m on the south side of Boulder, Colorado now, and have a southerly view with the least amount of light pollution I could ask for from this perspective.  I have a flat driveway and a flat cul-de-sac.  2 blocks away I have unobstructed views in every direction.  I have room in my garage for at least a 12” dob standing upright on a dolly and can still get the cars in.  I’m 42 and fit, but can sometimes be lazy at the end of a long day of work or playing outside.

If my budget was $1k, and I wanted to add an EP to the mix, what would you get?  This would be for straight up observing, not interested in GoTo - I can star hop.

Thanks in advance,

Adam 

Edited by FarmerFrederico, 24 November 2020 - 09:52 PM.

#2 Spikey131

Spikey131

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:40 PM

You answered your own question.

Get a 12" dob, and put it on wheels.

• izar187, spaceoddity and 25585 like this

#3 FarmerFrederico

FarmerFrederico

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:46 PM

You answered your own question.

Get a 12" dob, and put it on wheels.

I should say I’m picky about the fit and finish of the scope though too, and purchasing used is something I’m also open to.  So, if it’s got a nicer focuser, or a better feel pushing to my chosen celestial object, I’d sacrifice aperture.  

I’m also not very well read up on barlows, best FL for my favorite objects, which companies have better optics at this price point, and which EP would be best to add to the mix.  

#4 Spikey131

Spikey131

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 November 2020 - 10:05 PM

Well, you are not going to get a premium dob and an eyepiece for 1k.

Maybe something like this:https://www.highpoin...-telescope-ad12

Or watch the classifieds for a better used scope.

• FarmerFrederico likes this

#5 vtornado

vtornado

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 24 November 2020 - 10:05 PM

Hello Adam,

1K for a 12 inch dob will be limited on the new market.  

Going to a typical f/5 12 inch dob, means you cannot lay the scope across the width of a standard car.

So if you ever think of  traveling with it, you will have to have a large vehicle, or go truss or collapsible.

I have the skywater 300p collapible and like it.  The shorter tube makes it easier to move, even if that

tube is probably heaverier than a plain steel one.

As far as eyepieces go, a  my goto eyepiece is a 5mm paradigm ed.   Some nights that is too much

power and I have to back off to an 8.  Some nights I can go to a 4, and I switch to a Orion 3.8 

lanthanum.  (obsolete, but so far the best 4mm eyepiece I have found for a cheap price).

If the sky is really steady, I have found a televue 8mm plossl gives the sharpest views,

but the eyerelief is uncomfortable for viewing so I only use this piece if the sky is really steady.

For widefield, 1.25 inch, I use a Meade HD60 25mm.    I have not found a good two inch 30mm eyepiece yet.

I cant afford televue 2 inch widefields.

If you go a bit smaller like an 8 or 10, you are stil going to get better images of moon or planets than with your

small refractor.  A used 8 can be had for $250.  Less than the cost of an eyepiece.  It is much easier

to move, and fits in most cars.

• FarmerFrederico and BDS316 like this

#6 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Voyager 1

Posted 24 November 2020 - 10:17 PM

$1,000 is as cheap as a 12” Dob gets. No upgrades, no eyepieces.

Premium Dobs are custom built and cost thousands. Generally the smallest is about 11” aperture so saying you want a 6” premium Dob instead of a 12” mass produced Dob isn’t an option.

Scott
  • FarmerFrederico and BDS316 like this

#7 brentknight

brentknight

Vanguard

• Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 24 November 2020 - 10:33 PM

You might have to increase the budget a bit, but you could get a near premium Dob from DobSTUFF ( http://www.dobstuff.com/index.htm ).  Nothing left for a new eyepiece though...

#8 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Voyager 1

Posted 24 November 2020 - 11:01 PM

You might have to increase the budget a bit, but you could get a near premium Dob from DobSTUFF ( http://www.dobstuff.com/index.htm ). Nothing left for a new eyepiece though...

Note that you would have to build it yourself. He ships you the parts. You sand, varnish and build it. If you are handy it is a way to save money and get better than mass produced structure.

Oh, and you have to add your own optics.

For the right price he will include optics. But no price listed as that depends on how nice of a mirror you want.

Scott

Edited by SeattleScott, 24 November 2020 - 11:06 PM.

• FarmerFrederico and spaceoddity like this

#9 FarmerFrederico

FarmerFrederico

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 November 2020 - 11:35 PM

You might have to increase the budget a bit, but you could get a near premium Dob from DobSTUFF ( http://www.dobstuff.com/index.htm ).  Nothing left for a new eyepiece though...

Ooooh...this is it.  This is what I’m after.  I’ll save up some more and go this route for sure.  The kids will like seeing this come together and helping as well.  

Thank you!

• SeattleScott, brentknight and Voyager 3 like this

#10 Spikey131

Spikey131

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 November 2020 - 01:27 PM

You can buy mirrors from Agena: https://agenaastro.c...set-12-f-5.html

#11 gwlee

gwlee

Vanguard

• Loc: 38N 120W

Posted 25 November 2020 - 04:00 PM

Hi!

My signature shows my current setup and I plan to keep it.  It’s great for travel and fun for kids too.  I’ve traditionally had the moon in view for Halloween trick-or-treaters and probably given a first look through a quality telescope for over 200 kids and parents over the years.  It’s great for terrestrial viewing as well, or a quick peak at the moon from the bedroom window.

So, I don’t really see myself getting too excited about the faint fuzzies.  The moon, planets, clusters, and doubles are still my favorites in that order but I’m kind of wanting more detail now with an increase in aperture.  I’m on the south side of Boulder, Colorado now, and have a southerly view with the least amount of light pollution I could ask for from this perspective.  I have a flat driveway and a flat cul-de-sac.  2 blocks away I have unobstructed views in every direction.  I have room in my garage for at least a 12” dob standing upright on a dolly and can still get the cars in.  I’m 42 and fit, but can sometimes be lazy at the end of a long day of work or playing outside.

If my budget was $1k, and I wanted to add an EP to the mix, what would you get?  This would be for straight up observing, not interested in GoTo - I can star hop.

Thanks in advance,

Adam 

Here’s how I answered your question for myself:

1. Seeing around here seldom allows using more than 200x.

2. I don’t like observing with exit pupils smaller than 1mm.

3. I want to be able to occasionally transport the scope in a small sedan.

4. I want scope light enough for me to be willing to set it up and use it at home every clear night after the new wear off. 

A 41#, 8”f6 dob is the smallest aperture that meets my optical performance requirements (1-2), fits across the backseat of my car (3) and isn’t so large that it’s too much of a hassle for me to use every clear night from my home observing site. 

• FarmerFrederico, tommy10 and vtornado like this

#12 FarmerFrederico

FarmerFrederico

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 November 2020 - 05:45 PM

So what EP would you folks add to my current collection knowing that I’ll eventually add a 10” F4.5 Dobstuff DIY scope to my little front yard observatory?

Current collection includes a 22mm Televue Panaoptic, and 3.2mm and 8mm BO/TMB Planetary EP’s.

#13 brentknight

brentknight

Vanguard

• Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 25 November 2020 - 05:52 PM

For planets and Luna...Tele Vue 3-6mm zoom.

#14 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Voyager 1

Posted 25 November 2020 - 05:59 PM

You have quite a chasm between 22 and 8. Ideally a 13-14mm would address that nicely. 13mm Nagler comes to mind. Or divide and conquer with 17.5 and 12.5 Morpheus. There are more affordable options but you don’t want to cheap out at F4.5.

The gap between 8 and 3.2 is big too. The Nagler Zoom suggested above would be great. A 5mm paradigm would be much cheaper. A 5mm Delite might be a happy medium.

Scott

#15 COViewer

COViewer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 November 2020 - 09:03 PM

I’m on the south side of Boulder, Colorado

I'm maybe 10 miles south of you. Bortle 5 by the dark skies maps, but seems we're more Bortle 6, imo. Are you west or east of 93?

Edited by COViewer, 25 November 2020 - 09:05 PM.

#16 FarmerFrederico

FarmerFrederico

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 November 2020 - 09:42 PM

I'm maybe 10 miles south of you. Bortle 5 by the dark skies maps, but seems we're more Bortle 6, imo. Are you west or east of 93?

I’m just east of 93, basically at the corner of 55th and South Boulder Rd.  

Bortle 5 by the map, I could definitely imagine it being higher, but I do have basically 10 miles of open space directly south of me.  

#17 Voyager 3

Voyager 3

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Near Bangalore, India

Posted 29 November 2020 - 08:29 AM

A 9mm Morpheus / Nagler would be a match made in heaven for your scope laugh.gif .

#18 BDS316

BDS316

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Sol 3

Posted 03 December 2020 - 02:55 PM

A 9mm Morpheus / Nagler would be a match made in heaven for your scope laugh.gif .

Agree because one of the most if not the most important eyepiece is one that provides a 2mm exit pupil for your primary scope.

My 11mm Nagler  is my most used in my 8in f6 Dob.

#19 Bigal1817

Bigal1817

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 07 December 2020 - 12:22 PM

Hello!  May I ask why you write that you don't see yourself getting into the faint fuzzies?  Perhaps moving to a Dob will do exactly that!  Here's my 2 cents.  Get an 8" dob (new or used).  Just see how much you use it, enjoy it, and see if you get into the fuzzies.  After owning it for 6-12 months, if you find you are using it and enjoying it, sell it and go get a bigger, more premium Dobsonian.  As for an eyepiece, any 2" GSO 30mm or longer will compliment your 22mm panoptic.  You can usually find a used one in the classifieds for ~$45.  

#20 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 07 December 2020 - 12:58 PM

Hi!

So, I don’t really see myself getting too excited about the faint fuzzies.  

Adam 

Ah, but you have not yet seen them!   grin.gif 

• cuzimthedad and Spikey131 like this

#21 Sheol

Sheol

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 December 2020 - 07:08 PM

A single glimpse of spiral arms in M.51 might just change your mind. Also, not all "Faint Fuzzies" are that faint! LOL

Matt.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics