•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO 1600 disconnects after DC cable being plugged in

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 andrewenglish

andrewenglish

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 November 2020 - 10:02 PM

As the title says, my 1600 MM-C Pro disconnects from USB when the DC power cable is plugged in. Unplugged and it reconnects and I can access the camera and devices attached to the USB hub. Once plugged in, everything disconnects. The fan on the cooler doesn't start up but the red LED does light up. This happens from DC power from either my dedicated battery or my pegasus powerbox advance plugged into AC power. I haven't changed anything about my setup, software, etc and this problem just started tonight (was going to practice some imaging grrr). Tried restarting to no avail. I also tried plugging  the camera direct, tried without anything on the camera's hub, same result. Wondering if anyone else has had this issue -- and if you solved it? Thanks!

Edited by andrewenglish, 24 November 2020 - 10:03 PM.

#2 mehdymo

mehdymo

Messenger

• ****-
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 24 November 2020 - 11:34 PM

I think it is the same for all ASI1600s. Whatever change you make, you have to connect and disconnect camera completely, otherwise it doesn't work properly. you have to make sure everything is OK then start your cooling and imaging.

#3 andrewenglish

andrewenglish

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 November 2020 - 11:39 PM

Hmm I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that. I've never had any issues or need to unplug or do funny stuff with the usb or power cables to get the camera working -- it has always worked regardless of the sequence. Right now it will disconnect the the DC cable is plugged in regardless of the sequence of plugging or trying to unplug / replug the camera before or after the DC cable is connected.

#4 vpraghavan

vpraghavan

Explorer 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 25 November 2020 - 02:22 AM

Are you using the original USB3 cable that came with the camera – the flat cable? If not you could be having ‘ground looping’ issues when connecting the DC cable.

#5 mehdymo

mehdymo

Messenger

• ****-
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 25 November 2020 - 02:50 AM

My DC has not disconnected up to now and not sure what happens in such a case. But if the USB cable gets disconnected for any reason, reconnection doesn't help and cooling will not work well until I restart the program. I mean if everything is connected and ready, the camera works well. I also know that the camera doesn't work with one of my USB ports which can be my laptop problem.

You may have a connection problem that affects the cooling indirectly (the App and camera don't communicate properly).

Hmm I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that. I've never had any issues or need to unplug or do funny stuff with the usb or power cables to get the camera working -- it has always worked regardless of the sequence. Right now it will disconnect the the DC cable is plugged in regardless of the sequence of plugging or trying to unplug / replug the camera before or after the DC cable is connected.

#6 Stelios

Stelios

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 25 November 2020 - 03:27 AM

What I have is the ASI1600MM-C camera and *powered* USB hub connected to a power strip. I then turn on the power strip and everything is connected and works. 

What's strange about what is happening to *you*, is that you say that everything used to work. OK, what could've changed? I can think of a few things to try:

1) Above all--try a different USB cable. They are very often the innocent-looking guilty parties.

2) Try connecting *both* camera directly to laptop and power directly to AC. 

3) Try replacing the power brick and/or cable that connects camera to power. (If you don't have a spare, you should in any case). 

Above all--did you change something? Anything? Is the Pegasus new? Did you change acquisition software? Change laptop? Change OS? 

#7 goldtr8

goldtr8

Ranger 4

Posted 25 November 2020 - 07:11 AM

Did you get a windows update and now all your COM ports are having issues?   PITA if that happens.

#8 andrewenglish

andrewenglish

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 November 2020 - 05:03 PM

Thanks for all the good suggestions. The only thing I haven't tried is a new USB3 cable from camera to the pegasus box (or straight to my PC -- I've tested both combos with the existing ZWO cable). I tested with and without the box, on AC adapted and straight DC from battery power, different cables (DC) etc. No laptop updates, same software, no driver changes (this is a dedicated astro laptop). I've also tried different USB ports. The powerbox is indeed new but I had tested it several times for long periods of time with the camera before with non issues (but maybe it damaged the camera who knows but probably unlikely). The camera was exposed to cold temperatures a few nights ago as I've been on a road trip and left it in the car in Utah. Was probably 40F at its coldest overnight. 

Sounds like based on what everyone's said the last ditch resort is a new USB3-b cable which is easy enough. The camera is just past the warranty period and the sad thing is, I've never produced a single image with it (time, health, and being busy fixing all the little issues with my setup first). 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics