•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can the AWB OneSky be returned?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 kelmm

kelmm

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 November 2020 - 12:19 AM

I recently posted asking for advice on a new scope, and as is the general recommendation for a newbie it was a dob, or if too large, the oft recommended AWB one sky among others. I did my research on that one, the Skywatcher, and the Zhumell 130.

I decided On the Zhumell but like most everything else, it was on backorder. After emailing the retailer and manufacturer, there was no date in sight, so I settled for the AWB, knowing their estimate was late December. I’ve been checking for Zhumell inventory daily, hoping it would be available in time and I could cancel the awb order.

Well, I just got my shipping confirmation. And, I found a Zhumell. Same day. . Odds, right? I can’t find anything on AWB’s site about returns, nor searching the web. I figured I’d post here and ask, if anyone found themselves in a similar position, or should I just accept my second choice and live with it, though I think the Zhumell will fit our lifestyle better.

#2 BFaucett

BFaucett

Vanguard

• Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 26 November 2020 - 12:39 AM

Can the AWB OneSky be returned?

I would contact them and ask them.

AWB's contact information page

https://shop.astrono...ages/contact-us

Bob F.

#3 kelmm

kelmm

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 November 2020 - 12:52 AM

You’re right. My anxious mind got the best of me late at night, as I panicked seeing the shipping confirmation, with the long holiday weekend, and knowing the high demand for Zhumells and not wanting to miss my chance.

But, best to ask awb directly next week.
  • BFaucett likes this

#4 string

string

Ranger 4

• Loc: Deep South

Posted 26 November 2020 - 02:59 AM

If the AWB has not shipped, I don't see why you couldn't cancel the order.

• stargazer193857 likes this

#5 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 26 November 2020 - 10:35 AM

I recently posted asking for advice on a new scope, and as is the general recommendation for a newbie it was a dob, or if too large, the oft recommended AWB one sky among others. I did my research on that one, the Skywatcher, and the Zhumell 130.

I decided On the Zhumell but like most everything else, it was on backorder. After emailing the retailer and manufacturer, there was no date in sight, so I settled for the AWB, knowing their estimate was late December. I’ve been checking for Zhumell inventory daily, hoping it would be available in time and I could cancel the awb order.

Well, I just got my shipping confirmation. And, I found a Zhumell. Same day. . Odds, right? I can’t find anything on AWB’s site about returns, nor searching the web. I figured I’d post here and ask, if anyone found themselves in a similar position, or should I just accept my second choice and live with it, though I think the Zhumell will fit our lifestyle better.

If you bought the AW in good faith and they sold it to you in good faith then you should keep it in good faith ! Why do you think you have the right to send back, get a refund just because something you think is better comes along ? When will that end, what happens when the next better scope comes along ? There are many more out there that play that game to the detriment of good and fair dealers ! As my dear old gramma used to say ‘it takes all kinds’ !

Edited by LDW47, 26 November 2020 - 10:37 AM.

#6 vtornado

vtornado

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 26 November 2020 - 11:34 AM

The AWB is no slouch,  It collapses, which makes it back packable.  The helical focuser is a dream to use.  It just works.

The Zhummel has an R&P focuser.   I have not tried it but some lower cost R&Ps have backlash not nice for moon and planets.

Even though the AWB is collapible it holds collimation well. 

I'm just trying to say the Zhummel is about the same. If you have an AWB in your hands, I don't think you are gaining anything

material by going to the Zhummel.

#7 jlcop

jlcop

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Meridian, Idaho

Posted 26 November 2020 - 12:06 PM

...and by purchasing the AWB One Sky you are helping support a great organization!

John  

• WilsonBlvd likes this

#8 kelmm

kelmm

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 November 2020 - 01:07 PM

If you bought the AW in good faith and they sold it to you in good faith then you should keep it in good faith ! Why do you think you have the right to send back, get a refund just because something you think is better comes along ? When will that end, what happens when the next better scope comes along ? There are many more out there that play that game to the detriment of good and fair dealers ! As my dear old gramma used to say ‘it takes all kinds’ !

Agree to disagree, people can change their minds, returns exist for a reason. Used items is one thing, but returning something unopened, and the buyer paying return shipping...there should be no issue but I respect a company's policy either way. Not sure why the need for the jab at the end.

The AWB is no slouch,  It collapses, which makes it back packable.  The helical focuser is a dream to use.  It just works.

The Zhummel has an R&P focuser.   I have not tried it but some lower cost R&Ps have backlash not nice for moon and planets.

Even though the AWB is collapible it holds collimation well. 

Interesting, in a lot of posts/threads comparing the two, I was reading a lot of the opposite, that the focuser is difficult? That made me second guess it a bit. I like the collapsibility but not sure about having to make the shroud, and then comments saying it's harder to keep dew off because of the design? I am finding it easy to keep second guessing myself. And then adding attachments throws the weight off, so people were adding counterweights and magnets, I don't know.

...and by purchasing the AWB One Sky you are helping support a great organization!

John  

Very true, that's a positive as well. I might just present my husband with both and he can choose the one he prefers so I don't have to feel the stress of wondering if I made the 'right' choice.

• SteveG likes this

#9 rhetfield

rhetfield

Apollo

• Loc: Suburban Chicago, IL, USA

Posted 26 November 2020 - 01:34 PM

Might be good to see both in person and see which you like better. My experience with the AWB is it works well and that the focuser is at least as good as an entry level r&P focuser. The primary difference with the zhumell is collapsible vs solid tube.

With the current scope shortages and Christmas coming up, you should be able to sell either as like new for what you paid. Would be helpful to AWB, since they are a charity and could use the money.
  • SteveG likes this

#10 kelmm

kelmm

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 November 2020 - 01:43 PM

Might be good to see both in person and see which you like better. My experience with the AWB is it works well and that the focuser is at least as good as an entry level r&P focuser. The primary difference with the zhumell is collapsible vs solid tube.

With the current scope shortages and Christmas coming up, you should be able to sell either as like new for what you paid. Would be helpful to AWB, since they are a charity and could use the money.

I think having the night and day to reflect on it, this is best strategy. I'm going to wrap one but then let him choose between the two and decide for himself. I probably won't look to return to AWB to your point, it is a good cause. 

I really should have just taken pause before posting so late yesterday, but when I saw a handful of inventory for Zhumells pop up on Amazon, I jumped at it, and then panicked lol. Thanks everyone, I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

• therealdmt and vtornado like this

#11 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 26 November 2020 - 02:04 PM

Agree to disagree, people can change their minds, returns exist for a reason. Used items is one thing, but returning something unopened, and the buyer paying return shipping...there should be no issue but I respect a company's policy either way. Not sure why the need for the jab at the end.

Interesting, in a lot of posts/threads comparing the two, I was reading a lot of the opposite, that the focuser is difficult? That made me second guess it a bit. I like the collapsibility but not sure about having to make the shroud, and then comments saying it's harder to keep dew off because of the design? I am finding it easy to keep second guessing myself. And then adding attachments throws the weight off, so people were adding counterweights and magnets, I don't know.

Very true, that's a positive as well. I might just present my husband with both and he can choose the one he prefers so I don't have to feel the stress of wondering if I made the 'right' choice.

You are correct if if hasn’t been opened !

#12 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 26 November 2020 - 02:40 PM

I like my Onesky just fine.,I liked the focuser so much I bought other helical focusers later.,

Making a shroud is easy peasy.,I used craft foam from W-mart.,$0.88 a sheet.,it takes 2.,buy 3.,just cause,.If you read through the Onesky thread you can get lots of ideas for doing things with this great scope.,Good luck with your choices.,

Here's my OS.,always ready to go.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190327_183143.jpg.jpg

• BFaucett, mrsjeff and Amador Observer like this

#13 astrophile

astrophile

Viking 1

• Loc: NoVA Yellow Zone

Posted 26 November 2020 - 05:02 PM

Buy & keep both, one for each of you!  flowerred.gif

• vtornado, mrsjeff, kelmm and 1 other like this

#14 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 26 November 2020 - 06:26 PM

The focuser is different, but not necessarily difficult. It really depends on the eyepieces you use, and how much refocusing is required between them.

The open truss is an issue, and that is why I usually recommend the Z130. Balance is not an issue with these scopes. They mount via a dovetail that is movable. I’m sure there are users that didn’t know how to balance their tubes to begin with.

• esd726, clearwaterdave and BFaucett like this

#15 Greslyel

Greslyel

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tennessee

Posted 26 November 2020 - 07:30 PM

I think having the night and day to reflect on it, this is best strategy. I'm going to wrap one but then let him choose between the two and decide for himself. I probably won't look to return to AWB to your point, it is a good cause. 

I really should have just taken pause before posting so late yesterday, but when I saw a handful of inventory for Zhumells pop up on Amazon, I jumped at it, and then panicked lol. Thanks everyone, I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

I did the same thing. lol I came across it on amazon with 15 left.  I have been scope hunting for a couple weeks and when I saw it in stock and possibly arriving within a week or so I smashed that "place order" button so hard my finger nearly went through the computer. I was pretty bummed out thinking I would have to wait until mid-to late January to get a scope after earlier in the evening searching around and seeing everything on my target list was backordered.   I was pretty sure about getting the Apertura AD8, but I guess FOMO got the best of me. lol  So I decided with the cost being only $200, I'll just order the AD8 later in the year when the manufacturer can get caught up and its more readily available.  I hate to think that if I ordered the AD8 now right after I just ordered another scope, it might delay someone else from being able to get out and view the cosmos. Could never know that person may be using it for their kid and that kid may just grow up to be the next Carl Sagan or Shep Doleman! 

#16 stargazer32864

stargazer32864

Messenger

• Loc: Owensboro, KY

Posted 27 November 2020 - 11:21 PM

I went to the AWB website and I was shocked to see that they have several different type of scopes to choose from. I think I'll save up some money and buy one...or two. I feel like a kid in a candy store!!

~Robin

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics