•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

8” ROWE-ACKERMANN SCHMIDT ASTROGRAPH (RASA 8)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bec

bec

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 November 2020 - 12:22 AM

Hello All

8” ROWE-ACKERMANN SCHMIDT ASTROGRAPH (RASA 8)

I am thinking of ordering one of these scopes.  Or am I basically downsizing.   Any pros/cons appreciated.

I have the following setup

9.25 Edge HD

CEM60

Hyperstar

ASI296 mc pro

T5i dslr

asiair pro

I did a quick search and didn't find any link to this scope on CN

Any thoughts appreciated.  I decided to keep my cem60 and not order the cem70g so can look at other things.

Thanks

bec

Edited by bec, 26 November 2020 - 12:23 AM.

#2 string

string

Ranger 4

• Loc: Deep South

Posted 26 November 2020 - 02:34 AM

I would not see the RASA8 as a downgrade. It's possibly the best deal for F2 imaging on the market. The FOV would be better than the EdgeHD/hyperstar 9.25. You can see the difference in FOV for yourself on astronomy.tools on the web.  Just enter your EDGEHD9.25/Hyperstar specs and the RASA8 and see exactly the strengths of both on a variety of targets. Cool site! You would loose the ability to take off the hyperstar if you want to do visual. However, the hyperstar setup you are running makes for a heavier (top heavy) rig if all you want to do is F2 imaging. The RASA wins on sheer convenience and you can even do twin RASA8s like Steven Morris:

https://www.youtube....WsIdm6pU&t=343s

There's a great facebook group dedicated to RASA imaging:

https://www.facebook...341262949302876

I'd love to see a RASA8 discussion start right here.

Check my Signature... I lost my RASA 11.  I also own a 9.25 (no hyperstar yet)... I'm going with a RASA8... if not TWO!

Edited by string, 26 November 2020 - 02:51 AM.

#3 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Vanguard

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 26 November 2020 - 11:27 PM

RASA 8 major hilites
pros
F/2 widefield short imaging time
guiding not critical, very widefield imaging

cons 
limited to non-dslr cameras(some mirrorless but mainly up to APS-C dedicated CMOS)
optical window & filter use can be tricky and require extra expense especially for 'fast' filters 

• string likes this

#4 string

string

Ranger 4

Posted 29 November 2020 - 04:54 PM

RASA 8 major hilites
pros
F/2 widefield short imaging time
guiding not critical, very widefield imaging

cons 
limited to non-dslr cameras(some mirrorless but mainly up to APS-C dedicated CMOS)
optical window & filter use can be tricky and require extra expense especially for 'fast' filters 

I have a question about what you said about fast filters. My backyard is Bortle 6. One of my Favorite filters to date on non-rasa instruments is the Optolong L eXtreme. Would that be a filter I could continue using on a RASA or would I be better off with another narrow band filter or the Celestron light pollution filter maybe?

#5 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Vanguard

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 29 November 2020 - 08:30 PM

I have a question about what you said about fast filters. My backyard is Bortle 6. One of my Favorite filters to date on non-rasa instruments is the Optolong L eXtreme. Would that be a filter I could continue using on a RASA or would I be better off with another narrow band filter or the Celestron light pollution filter maybe?

I should have said, narrowband filters need to be fast-filters, normal RGB filters are OK to use.

You can try the L-eXtreme out since you already have it, worst effect is losing a bit of aperture due to the light cone cutting off the pass. 

The reasoning behind the F/2 hi-speed filters for narrowbands H-alpha, OIII, S-II is the band-pass is increased to (10-12nm) which allows enough light to pass at the high speed vs the standard 8nm for narrow band which will clip the light. 

• string likes this

#6 decep

decep

Mariner 2

• Loc: Georgia, US

Posted 03 December 2020 - 07:03 PM

There is a graph floating around that shows the passthrough of the l-extreme, l-enhance, and l-pro at different focal ratios.

The l-extreme (and any 7nm filter) is pretty harsh to a f/2 light cone.  I believe the passthrough was <40%.  The l-enhance with its 12nm bandwidth fared better, especially for h-alpha.

Found it:  http://karmalimbo.co...ter_Aug2020.pdf

I have imaged with the l-extreme with Hyperstar... during a full moon no less.  I did not notice any major issues

• string likes this

#7 string

string

Ranger 4

Posted 07 December 2020 - 08:25 PM

I should have said, narrowband filters need to be fast-filters, normal RGB filters are OK to use.

You can try the L-eXtreme out since you already have it, worst effect is losing a bit of aperture due to the light cone cutting off the pass. 

The reasoning behind the F/2 hi-speed filters for narrowbands H-alpha, OIII, S-II is the band-pass is increased to (10-12nm) which allows enough light to pass at the high speed vs the standard 8nm for narrow band which will clip the light. 

I just ordered two of  the IDAS NBX-RS. The RS is the second gen NBX that will be out in early January. They are rated for use on f/2 systems with the associated band shift.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics