•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How many of you have your complete collection?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 orion61

orion61

Vendor - Clear Edge Optical

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 26 November 2020 - 04:45 AM

Refractors, Reflectors, Cats Casses, pea shooters to 30" Dobs.

Which of you can say I am set, my collection is complete?  I serviced sct's from the 80's until "free" shipping from BIIG retailers drove

shipping priced more than the item is worth.

I spent my life collecting scopes. I couldn't believe the difference in the quality of commercial optics!! I mean some were Vetts and some were Yugos, so I started collecting. I still my hardest struggle was a mint Bausch and Lomb 6000 mint in the case. I serviced

that scope and when I looked through it I was stunned!! It took me 4 years to buy it from the owner... A superb Cave 8" F7..WOW

a couple refracting scopes and a custom 8" F 6.3 8" Meade, an ex C11, an LT 6"ACF Audio star to a 50's Mayfair.....

At this point last year I was so happy, but something changed well known sharp scopes were not as sharp, I had also been having severe eye pain and crushing headaches, Nausea, and blurry..... 4 Drs later I have advanced open angle Glaucoma. I went from 20/15 to 2040.....  I am devastated..... I am hoping for a secondary infection I have to go away....  I will recover some.. even if not I have always wanted to get more into Deep sky photography...

SO enough of the pity party, Back to the post.... Who is set for equipment? spent their life like me, collecting the scopes that cancels the desire to buy anything else!

With this, there will be no more listening for the rumble and squeak of the big brown truck...

How many times she asked...... "What!!!!   did you buy now!"... haha......life is peaceful...

Love to all my dear friends here..

Duane

• Mark9473, The_Vagabond and Bonco2 like this

#2 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 26 November 2020 - 06:00 AM

For Classics I doubt anyone can claim to have their complete collection. All it takes is some very interesting scope to appear at the right location and price and the urge will be there to at least consider it and likely buy it.

I only really have one classic, maybe just semi classic. And no real intention to collect others or more, but if someone said a Telementor was available I might seriosuly consider. I have clsoe to no idea what it is but have heard of them and sheer curiosity would likely drive me. Also one more scope cannot harm me I suppose. So "Why not?"

And therein lies the inability to say Yes.

If someone here had a fun old style 60mm I would equally likely give one of them a go.

• orion61, mdowns, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#3 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 26 November 2020 - 08:14 AM

Hi, Duane!

Once I got the 36" Dob installed and operational... the urge to acquire more of... anything at all... evaporated. I've got plenty of ~stuff~ and simply enjoy using it now. The next size is 50", but what I have is certainly enough for "forever"!

I harp on eye health a lot because that's the ultimate limiter. My latest surgeries were vitrectomies to remove floaters and a small retinal repair where the edge was threatening to maybe someday detach. Other than that, the retinas themselves remain fine and vision is excellent. So we enjoy what remains and count our blessings. Happy Thanksgiving!    Tom

• orion61, deepwoods1 and Bonco2 like this

#4 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Cincinnati Metro Area

Posted 26 November 2020 - 08:23 AM

I’m sorry to hear about your eye trouble Du’, hopefully it will improve. I had cataract surgery on both eyes last year. Now I no longer have astigmatism and no need to wear glasses except drug store readers for fine print. It’s amazing what they can do these days. Hopefully they can fix your eye problem. As far as collections, I’m done. Down to 10 classics and soon-to-be classics and I’m happy with that.

Edited by Terra Nova, 26 November 2020 - 12:29 PM.

• Jae, orion61, wfj and 3 others like this

#5 John Higbee

John Higbee

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 26 November 2020 - 08:45 AM

Since I have no money for discretionary "telescope acquisition" (we're in the middle of retirement preps), my collection is, by definition,  complete!  grin.gif

Seriously, I started out with three objectives for a complete collection:

• a 10-12" Newtonian reflector...turned out to be a Cave 12.5" f/6 Model D
  • a 12-14" SCT...turned out to be a C14 Orange Tube
  • a 4-6" classic achromatic refractor...originally thought it would be a Unitron, but found the Spacek 6" f/15

C14 w buggy.jpg

stacks_image_7341.jpg

med_gallery_210832_10405_30018.jpg

So...I'm done...except for the downsizing!

John

• orion61, Jim Curry, CharlieB and 13 others like this

#6 John Higbee

John Higbee

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 26 November 2020 - 08:48 AM

Hi, Duane!

Once I got the 36" Dob installed and operational... the urge to acquire more of... anything at all... evaporated. I've got plenty of ~stuff~ and simply enjoy using it now. The next size is 50", but what I have is certainly enough for "forever"!

I harp on eye health a lot because that's the ultimate limiter. My latest surgeries were vitrectomies to remove floaters and a small retinal repair where the edge was threatening to maybe someday detach. Other than that, the retinas themselves remain fine and vision is excellent. So we enjoy what remains and count our blessings. Happy Thanksgiving!    Tom

Tom - How did your "floater removal" turn out (asking because I have a lot of floaters in my right eye...and NONE in my left (go figure...)  John

• The_Vagabond likes this

#7 oldmanastro

oldmanastro

Viking 1

• Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico-US

Posted 26 November 2020 - 09:27 AM

After acquiring the Sears 6336 76mm refractor my Sears 1964-65 astronomical telescopes collection was complete. It doesn't mean that if a classic pops up locally I will not jump on it but that rarely happens. The small group that comprises the Sears collection is just four telescopes. They are not the only classics that I have but that's the collection I wanted to complete. In addition, after retirement I think that's as far as I can go.

Attached Thumbnails

• SearsFamily1.JPG

• orion61, astro140, deepwoods1 and 8 others like this

#8 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 26 November 2020 - 11:16 AM

Tom - How did your "floater removal" turn out (asking because I have a lot of floaters in my right eye...and NONE in my left (go figure...)  John

Hi, John!

After all the cautions from friends (who had no actual experience whatsoever with the procedure) --- it turned out to be a giant piece of cake... no issues or problems whatsoever. I had an absolutely Gargantuan floater in my L eye and traditional bunch of small ones in the R. The surgeries are meh easy outpatient and right back to heavy exercise etc. within a few days... with good vision. The floaters are 99% gone and bonus is that the other aspects of vision also benefit" Far less scatter, much clearer, great contrast, great colors, 20/15 each and both eyes sans glasses... etc. I think my tiny residual prescription has changed a bit, though.

"Results may vary", but it went well for me. I return in a year for a routine retinal exam.    Tom

• orion61, Astrojensen, deepwoods1 and 3 others like this

#9 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 12:57 PM

The student loaner set is pretty much complete. With smaller classes rising behind the current large one, there are enough of them, and it has enough variety to cover the different levels of interest and living situations. The extra interest in larger reflectors this year makes me think that if another 6" or an 8" was offered as a donation, I wouldn't refuse it, but I'm not actively looking for one. There is an 8" that was a project scope by an Edmund engineer that I still need to get into working shape and build a dob mount for. I also have the 8" f6 signed by John Dobson that needs recoating, which I hope to trade at some future NEAF or Stellafane for something less iconic to be usable in the loaner set.

For personal use, I'm not a collector. I have scopes that serve specific purposes, and those niches are all filled. The two observatory scopes for serious viewing. A grab-n-go (the Pentax) for a quick look, and a highly portable one for travel. There are times when I am tempted to consider a 100mm refractor, but the Pentax 85 is so close in aperture, so optically excellent, and so portable and easy to set up that it's hard to rationalize.

Chip W. 

• The_Vagabond and oldmanastro like this

#10 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 26 November 2020 - 01:57 PM

I'll never have a complete collection.

There's just something about telescopes.

Astronomy is my number one hobby, so much so most of my other hobbies 

have died on the vine. I can't remember the last time I flew a model airplane.

Telescopes are just too interesting, and there are so many of them.

In the old world before the PC there were far far less telescopes in my life.

I was more of a observer back then, so that left daytime free for other pursuits.

Now days it's a different story. Daytime is filled with telescope repair and

restoration, testing, etc.

It's a wonderful life!

Robert

• highfnum, orion61, The_Vagabond and 5 others like this

#11 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 26 November 2020 - 02:11 PM

I ditto Robert.  I'll never be DONE, even though I'm down-sizing.  Something seems to pop up that catches my eye, and that I want to test, even if I pass it on.  Of my Keepers, I've invested the most time & money into 3:

Saturn Restore 2020 S91 - Restore COMPLETE (Tinsley EQ Full RS).jpg

Came close to giving it away, and still not done with it -- Tinsley Saturn 6" F20 Cassegrain

Mogey 3 - Prism Diagonal T12.jpg

Mogey 3" F14 on an 1885 MacKenzie (London) Mount.  It is DONE, though it took a while.

Finally, my workhouse refractor:

Dakin 4 - Restore S31 (DONE RS Mizar SP).jpg

Dakin 4" F10 in English Racing Green.

• orion61, clamchip, rockethead26 and 7 others like this

#12 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 02:48 PM

I tend to think of collection as having some criterion against which a goal is evaluated. Like collecting all years and mint marks of Lincoln pennies. For the loaner set, I felt I was acting as a collector, with the goal being enough to cover the needs of my students in the largest class that was rising up through the school, and enough extra to accommodate different balances of needs. Collecting all models of a specific brand (e.g., Unitron) from an era (e.g., pre-1960) would be another collecting criterion. 

Acquiring scopes to restore, or just to experience their differences is, to me, a different (and just as reasonable) activity. So I wonder if Duane could clarify whether the question is about how many people have completed collections, or about how many people feel satisfied with what they have? The title seems to indicate that the thread is about completing collections, while the text of the opening post seems to lean toward, "Who's done buying scopes?" I'm just interested in getting a better sense of the intended focus of the thread. 

Chip W. 

• orion61 and The_Vagabond like this

#13 Kasmos

Kasmos

Gemini

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 26 November 2020 - 05:01 PM

All it takes is some very interesting scope to appear at the right location and price and the urge will be there to at least consider it and likely buy it.

I'm basically done and happy and hope to sell a few in the coming year, but the above statement pretty much sums it up for me.

• orion61, Terra Nova and GreyDay like this

#14 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Cincinnati Metro Area

Posted 26 November 2020 - 05:38 PM

For Classics I doubt anyone can claim to have their complete collection. All it takes is some very interesting scope to appear at the right location and price and the urge will be there to at least consider it and likely buy it.

I only really have one classic, maybe just semi classic. And no real intention to collect others or more, but if someone said a Telementor was available I might seriosuly consider. I have clsoe to no idea what it is but have heard of them and sheer curiosity would likely drive me. Also one more scope cannot harm me I suppose. So "Why not?"

And therein lies the inability to say Yes.

If someone here had a fun old style 60mm I would equally likely give one of them a go.

I think that is basically true. A real collector never quits collecting. There is always something to add, trade, or replace. I’ve found over the years that I’m not really a collector, whether it’s rocks and minerals, fossils, stamps, coins, or telescopes. A few interesting and meaningful samples that I have a personal connection with and I’m pretty much good with that. It’s the science and observing that really interests me, not the instruments. I’m glad to save the money and have the space. Going from more than forty to ten, I am ecstatic.

• davidmcgo, orion61, oldmanastro and 1 other like this

#15 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 26 November 2020 - 05:42 PM

Since I have no money for discretionary "telescope acquisition" (we're in the middle of retirement preps), my collection is, by definition,  complete!  grin.gif

Seriously, I started out with three objectives for a complete collection:

• a 10-12" Newtonian reflector...turned out to be a Cave 12.5" f/6 Model D
  • a 12-14" SCT...turned out to be a C14 Orange Tube
  • a 4-6" classic achromatic refractor...originally thought it would be a Unitron, but found the Spacek 6" f/15

attachicon.gifC14 w buggy.jpg

attachicon.gifstacks_image_7341.jpg

attachicon.gifmed_gallery_210832_10405_30018.jpg

So...I'm done...except for the downsizing!

John

Well if ya ever down size that C14 send it my way. I would love another shot at one with super optics as i got cheated out on mine since it had bad optics. I think the Orange fork mounted C14 is the best looking SCT still.

• orion61, John Higbee, Bonco2 and 1 other like this

#16 Gil V

Gil V

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 November 2020 - 08:57 PM

Duane -

Because you played a key role in allowing me to acquire my personal “complete collection”...

Attached Thumbnails

• 9D438242-D7FA-4BA4-AE02-A45320574032.jpeg

• davidmcgo, tim53, astro140 and 7 others like this

#17 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Soyuz

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 27 November 2020 - 10:41 AM

I think that is basically true. A real collector never quits collecting. There is always something to add, trade, or replace. I’ve found over the years that I’m not really a collector, whether it’s rocks and minerals, fossils, stamps, coins, or telescopes. A few interesting and meaningful samples that I have a personal connection with and I’m pretty much good with that. It’s the science and observing that really interests me, not the instruments. I’m glad to save the money and have the space. Going from more than forty to ten, I am ecstatic.

Absolutely true!  For me it is always a case of wanting to try different scopes especially ones that were advertised back in the early 1980s when I was starting out that I could only dream of back then.  So if one in good condition comes along of a type I have been interested it, I get it.  What I don’t do is have multiple samples of essentially the same thing.  My only vintage 60mm vintage refractors are a Unitron 114 and an Edmund Voyager.  

I am running out of room, and in use some scopes are essentially the same capability like my C10, 10.25” Dall Kirkham, and my friend’s loaned C11, but the experience of using each of those is different.  So they stay and all get cycled through depending on conditions, how much effort I can spare for setting up, and what is available to look at.

But until I lose interest, I won’t ever say my collection is complete.

Dave

• Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#18 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 27 November 2020 - 11:40 AM

I basically am going in two directions at once. Always looking for a good deal I cannot resist and need to downsize beause I just have way too many scopes.   For a while i was buying anything with Unitron on it.  That lasted about 12 years.  It is amazing how much Unitron gear is out there.   I suspect I have a good share of it.  Finally getting a 132C kind of ended the hunt for more Unitrons.  A 5" and a 6" would be nice, but  I have no place to put them.   German scopes began another venture into collecting.  It is a good thing the large Zeiss scopes cost a fortune or I would have a bunch of them.  Telementors are fun to collect and so are the Busch series.  Travelers are another love. Such excellent craftmanship one finds in Zeiss scopes.   I still have my eye on a 20" dob and most likely will buy an Ultralight one of these days.  So, one of these days I will start putting a lot of scopes up for sale.  I do not think I want my wife or kids to have to sort through all this stuff once I pass on.   However, I have gotten attached to all these scopes.  They each have a character of thier own. Each reaches into space in a different way that always amazes me.   There are nights I just bring out scope after scope each one bigger than the one before.  Pushing the limits of the seeing until I know there are no more photons to grab sharply.  Some nights thats ends with the first scope crazy.gif  This has been a wonderful hobby and some of the people in this forum are wonderful people to know and talk with.   Thank you Cloudy Nights for making this experience possible.

Edited by starman876, 27 November 2020 - 11:42 AM.

• The_Vagabond, combatdad, fjs and 6 others like this

#19 The_Vagabond

The_Vagabond

Ranger 4

• Loc: Charlotte Hall, Maryland

Posted 27 November 2020 - 11:47 AM

I have a number of general purpose telescopes, but there are still two I'd love to have to complete my "collection" (and really, I doubt that'll be the end of it) - 

- a red tube Edmund 3" f/6

- the 2.5" Harmonic Reed Starmaster

Right now, as it stands, I have three of the four Harmonic Reed telescopes. 

Oh, and I may have landed a SkyScope. I'll know in a few days when I get to Maryland. 

Cheers!

- Robert

• Bomber Bob and oldmanastro like this

#20 Star Shooter

Star Shooter

Explorer 1

Posted 27 November 2020 - 02:32 PM

I have just completed my set of Meade 4000 series eyepieces. It took two years of haunting the classifieds. I am happy now until I discover something else that I want.

Glen

• Bomber Bob likes this

#21 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 27 November 2020 - 06:06 PM

Earlier when I posted:  I'll never be DONE, even though I'm down-sizing ...

What I should have said is that, given what I have NOW, I'll never be DONE re-storing...  much less buying...

Before I decided to keep the Tinsley, my Scope To-Do List was long but manageable.  Getting the OTA done helps, but the mount is the big enchilada.  

Honest:  It feels great to be at a place where it's mostly cosmetic work on my smaller Collection.  I can focus [pun intended] on improving (& testing) accessories -- see what helps performance, and what doesn't.

• The_Vagabond, oldmanastro and GreyDay like this

#22 GreyDay

GreyDay

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Southport UK

Posted 28 November 2020 - 07:57 PM

Earlier when I posted:  I'll never be DONE, even though I'm down-sizing ...

What I should have said is that, given what I have NOW, I'll never be DONE re-storing...  much less buying...

It feels great to be at a place where it's mostly cosmetic work on my smaller Collection.  I can focus [pun intended] on improving (& testing) accessories -- see what helps performance, and what doesn't.

I'm in the same position JW, done collecting and comparing so now it's time to downsize and focus more on mounts and accessories. I have worked out which scopes are keepers which has left me enough "projects" to last a decade, collecting the japanese classics has been fun but i still have a small list of scopes i'd buy if they become available.

• Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#23 rogue river art

rogue river art

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Grants Pass,Oregon

Posted 28 November 2020 - 11:37 PM

I’m sorry to hear about your eye trouble Du’, hopefully it will improve. I had cataract surgery on both eyes last year. Now I no longer have astigmatism and no need to wear glasses except drug store readers for fine print. It’s amazing what they can do these days. Hopefully they can fix your eye problem. As far as collections, I’m done. Down to 10 classics and soon-to-be classics and I’m happy with that.

I had cataract surgery 2 1/2 years ago in bout eyes. Before that I gave up on using my scope and boxed it up. After surgery  my eyes were so good I went back to work as a machinist. I can even read a vernier caliper now. I have a Mayflower I use now and then but working has me tired early and to bed very early since I'm up at 4am for work. I'll keep it up for maybe 1 or 2 more years. I'm going on 78 in January so working for a long time is probably not in the cards. I can still handle the bid 4 " and mount but just not into it for  now. I will set up the Mayflower for Christmas to see Saturn and Jupiter get together. The Christmas star.

• Jae, Terra Nova, GreyDay and 1 other like this

#24 orion61

orion61

Vendor - Clear Edge Optical

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 29 November 2020 - 01:00 AM

Duane -

Because you played a key role in allowing me to acquire my personal “complete collection”...

Gill you and I are only among the few that know Criterion made some very good scopes, Unfortunately the last 2-3 years after the lawsuit, and some before Criterion could only do what they could. But for those reading this the 6" Dynas and B&L's were light years better than the dx8's.. The one you have that I once owned was actually pretty good. I have seen MUCH worse in many of the Meade 2080's from 1981-1988.

You just need to know what DX8's were good. There were about 4 different color combos only 1 series has good optics.

• DreamWeaver likes this

#25 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 November 2020 - 10:01 AM

I have to admit to having at least some envy when I see certain Amateurs that have collected and entire set of Telescopes and/or eyepieces.

Being very limited in space, I would not be able to even start such a collection. However, I have the telescope that I wanted and am quite happy with it. But still, I love seeing the pics of what other amateurs have in their equipment arsenal. I especially love seeing the picture of Ed Ting's collection, Wow!

Thanks to all for posting pics of your collections, I really enjoy seeing them.

Clear skies!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

• memento, mdowns and GreyDay like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics