•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Odd artifacts in M42 sequence

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 petercoxphoto

petercoxphoto

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 November 2020 - 12:11 PM

I've been scratching my head with this one and can't figure it out. I ran a sequence on M42 last night and there is some progressive strangeness happening towards the end. The sequence was shot on a Skywatcher ED80 with an ASI294MC Pro. 

There's a video at this link that shows a looping blink run of the calibrated and debayered frames. At the end you can see dark arcs appear around the image and they grow progressively to the end of the sequence. Oddly for a couple of images right before the sequence ended the image clears up, then the artifacts return for the last couple of frames. The artifacts are present in the uncalibrated data as well. 

The marks start appearing at 7 seconds into this video, just to the left of center of the frame. It's helpful to play it at half speed (gear icon at bottom right, playback speed).

https://photos.app.g...DKTiXg13LNqTDX8

It was starting to cloud over and transparency wasn't great for most of the night. It feels to me like these are cloud-related, but I don't see what could cause them. They don't show up in the flats I took later on.

For reference, here's the timelapse from my all sky camera last night. The first occurrence of the artifacts was at 04:20, and unfortunately M42 is just out of frame at that point. It's still a ways from setting, even if it is quite low - but there's nothing to obstruct it at that time. 

https://photos.app.g...dgfMcCHkanDT2j9

Any thoughts? I'm mainly curious as most of the images are good, and cloud definitely negatively impacts the images in question - I just have no idea what would cause those black marks.

Cheers,
Peter

#2 DJL

DJL

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 26 November 2020 - 12:38 PM

Looks like it went behind the house except for the curve. Could it be a lens hood or dew shield? Is a meridian flip happening around the time this happens?

#3 petercoxphoto

petercoxphoto

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 November 2020 - 12:41 PM

DJL - no meridian flip - that happens at the beginning of the sequence. Nothing loose on the scope either, no cables or anything dangling in front of it. 

So there's no question that cloud interfered with the image around this time - it's trying to pin down those black curves I'm curious about.

Cheers,
Peter

#4 DJL

DJL

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 27 November 2020 - 09:50 PM

I suggest it's moonlight or some other kind of light from the environment casting a shadow from the lens hood / dew shield. I had something like this happen on Nov 4th with M42 when the moon was above Orion. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics