•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tool for figuring best combo of devices for EAA

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SanjeevJoshi

SanjeevJoshi

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Los Altos CA

Posted 26 November 2020 - 01:37 PM

Hi all,  I am looking for a way to generate the best combo of my devices (OTA and camera) for EAA for deep sky objects.  I have two OTA’s - RASA 8 and C8 Celestron, 2 primary cams (ZWO ASI 294 MC Pro and 462 MC), and the Celestron Nextimage 10.

Astronomy.tools has a couple of tools - FoV calculator and CCD suitability which are very useful.  But without doing  a detailed compare of my combinations by DSO, is there a way to do this faster?

Take M1 as an example.   For a reasonable FoV I can use either RASA 8 With 462 or C8 with f/6.3 with 462, with some difference in coverage.   CCD suitability is good under both.

Is there a way to generate a segmentation of popular M and NGC objects without doing this manually one by one?

Alternatively if folks have saved this info offline for Celestron, will be great to share / collaborate.

Edited by SanjeevJoshi, 26 November 2020 - 01:39 PM.

#2 Sky King

Sky King

Mariner 2

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 26 November 2020 - 02:26 PM

Why not divide targets into small, medium and large, and have a rig for each? Then if you want to frame it better, make adjustments. At least you would be in the ball park. I was looking at the Two Sisters for a long time, until I went to a DSLR and now can see the Seven Sisters. 8-)  I would also suggest getting a 80mm or so scope, really widens your FOV for large targets. 

Edited by Sky King, 26 November 2020 - 02:38 PM.

#3 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 26 November 2020 - 02:38 PM

I would also suggest getting a 80mm or so scope, really widens your FOV. 

It would have to be pretty fast to be shorter than the 8" RASA. I agree with the OP that a SCT variant mounted beside a RASA gives a lot of flexibility for target selection. 

#4 SanjeevJoshi

SanjeevJoshi

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 26 November 2020 - 02:38 PM

Why not divide targets into small, medium and large, and have a rig for each? Then if you want to frame it better, make adjustments. At least you would be in the ball park. I was looking at the Two Sisters for a long time, until I went to a DSLR and now can see the Seven Sisters. 8-)  I would also suggest getting a 80mm or so scope, really widens your FOV. 

Yes I agree.. it will still be a reasonable amount of manual work.   I was considering something like Sky Tools Imaging.

#5 Sky King

Sky King

Mariner 2

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 26 November 2020 - 02:56 PM

Good point jrcrilly, I'm not familiar with using the RASA, but like Hyperstar, it already gives a fast wide view. 

Couldn't you look at apparent size of the target (M31: 3.167° × 1°) and see if it's small. medium or large? Also learn what combinations give you by uploading to Astrometry.com and looking at Size, listed in degrees.

(I'm still into trial and error, my constant companions, so maybe somebody has a better suggestion.)  Skytools 4 Imaging looks powerful with a lot of detail.  

Edited by Sky King, 26 November 2020 - 04:24 PM.

#6 SanjeevJoshi

SanjeevJoshi

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 26 November 2020 - 04:00 PM

Hi folks, perhaps I am not stating my question correctly.  I am now manually looking up and tabulating the best combo (OTA, camera, reducer / barlow) for each Messier object.   It takes 3 to 5 mins per object to do this.  I was wondering if there is a tool that can do this across a big database once I enter my equipment choices / combinations.   I can do it for say Messier in half a day.  And I will need to keep doing it for the other catalogs.

Edited by SanjeevJoshi, 26 November 2020 - 04:01 PM.

#7 Alien Observatory

Alien Observatory

Apollo

• Vendors

Posted 26 November 2020 - 04:54 PM

use the Imaging tab....Pat Utah :)

https://astronomy.to.../field_of_view/

#8 Lee D

Lee D

Apollo

• Loc: Rochester NY

Posted 26 November 2020 - 05:05 PM

Hi folks, perhaps I am not stating my question correctly.  I am now manually looking up and tabulating the best combo (OTA, camera, reducer / barlow) for each Messier object.   It takes 3 to 5 mins per object to do this.  I was wondering if there is a tool that can do this across a big database once I enter my equipment choices / combinations.   I can do it for say Messier in half a day.  And I will need to keep doing it for the other catalogs.

SkyTools is what came to mind when I read your original post. Its spreadsheet-like view can include the dimensions of each object in the list as well as surface brightness, and the database is unusually accurate, complete, and extensible. So if you decide on some size and brightness criteria for different setups, you can search and sort etc based on those.

I don't image, but SkyTools 4 (and 3) Visual gives me the best eyepiece to use on an object as part of planning a session. That is, along with the basic object data on that row in the sheet, it also includes best observing time and best eyepiece to use. Maybe SkyTools Imaging will do the same for cameras. You can only have one scope at a time active in Visual, though. Worth checking out, anyway.

• EuropaWill likes this

#9 SanjeevJoshi

SanjeevJoshi

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 26 November 2020 - 11:03 PM

Yes I have been in touch with the developer of Skytools, contemplating getting the imaging one.

I finished mapping Messier for my two OTAs + 2 /3 cameras + barlow / reducers.   In general RASA with my Zwo 462 seems good for smaller objects.  RASA with Zwo 294 seems the only real option for some, good for many others.   C8 with f/6.3 reducer with 294 is a good back up for the RASA 462.   There are a handful of objects that will be served best by C8 with 462 at f/10.

So this gives me enough info to start planning at least the Messier sessions.

#10 GazingOli

GazingOli

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Stuttgart GERMANY

Posted 27 November 2020 - 01:18 AM

I am using Stellarium.

You can set up your gear top right (tool symbol) and switch between the equipment with a click. Very easy but of course one by one. 

I made up a spread sheat with potential targets with size and mag. Sorting targets by size makes it very easy to add the setup according to the target size.

Image credit: Stellarium.org

CS.Oli

Attached Thumbnails

• stellariumM1.jpg

Edited by GazingOli, 27 November 2020 - 01:47 AM.

• SanjeevJoshi likes this

#11 gordtulloch

gordtulloch

Mariner 2

Posted 27 November 2020 - 03:56 PM

I'd recommend having a look at Astroplanner, www.astroplanner.net. Lots of different databases where you can sort by size and create new catalogs for various purposes. Still being updated, I've used it for many years.

mainpage.jpg

• SanjeevJoshi likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics