•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Should I pick up another UHC filter...

dso equipment filters
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 brentknight

brentknight

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 26 November 2020 - 03:13 PM

I have the Thousand Oaks LP-2 (UHC) filter.  I'm considering adding either the Lumicon or Tele Vue UHC to the collection.  Is there anything I would gain with these other filters?  Preferred viewing conditions/methods/objects.  Experiences from users who have both...

• 25585 likes this

#2 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 26 November 2020 - 03:39 PM

I have the Thousand Oaks LP-2 (UHC) filter.  I'm considering adding either the Lumicon or Tele Vue UHC to the collection.  Is there anything I would gain with these other filters?  Preferred viewing conditions/methods/objects.  Experiences from users who have both...

You would gain a different perspective, a different contrast, a different view with the Celestron / Baader UHC filter ! its nice to have several nebula filters just for the change of views on any given nite as your preference changes !

Edited by LDW47, 26 November 2020 - 03:42 PM.

• brentknight likes this

#3 brentknight

brentknight

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 26 November 2020 - 05:50 PM

I have the Baader UHC-S and it is a very nice filter for bringing out some nebula but leaving the stars pretty much the same - it actually makes some improvement on galaxies around here.  I believe it's more of a broadband/LP filter though.

• 25585 and rkelley8493 like this

#4 RLK1

RLK1

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 November 2020 - 06:07 PM

I have the Baader UHC-S and it is a very nice filter for bringing out some nebula but leaving the stars pretty much the same - it actually makes some improvement on galaxies around here.  I believe it's more of a broadband/LP filter though.

I have the Celestron branded version but it's the same filter as the Baader and my experience with it is the same as yours. 

For a UHC, I prefer my DGM NPB.

• brentknight likes this

#5 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 November 2020 - 07:22 PM

Thats exactly what I mean you get a good look at the nebula but you can still see the background stars, etc. whereas the NPBs, Telvues etc. darken out the adjacent detail, the B/C is a nice change of pace but many perfectionists don’t think so but thats OK !  Just saying there are some diverse alternatives that work !  Good Luck !  PS: I have 1.25” and 2” NPBs, Telvue Bandmate, Lumicon, Svbony, Orion neb filters but I still enjoy the B/C UHC on a given nite. As my dear old grandma used to say ‘ a change is as good as a rest ‘ !

Edited by LDW47, 26 November 2020 - 07:28 PM.

• brentknight likes this

#6 brentknight

brentknight

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 26 November 2020 - 07:32 PM

My TO LP-2 is one of the wider bandpass UHC filters.  It's nowhere near as broad as the UHC-S, but its also nowhere near as aggressive as the TV O-III.  I'm just wondering if the narrower UHC's like the Lumicon will work better/different on the objects the TO responds to.  My thoughts are that they will give different views, but not spectacularly different.  I'm pretty certain I'll end up grabbing one or the other, but just curious to hear what others think...  And thanks very much for the comments so far.

#7 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 November 2020 - 07:32 PM

If you can afford a couple why narrow your viewing capabilities, broaden out and enjoy the challenge, the change, its part of the fun of this great hobby ! Clear Skize !

• brentknight and 25585 like this

#8 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 November 2020 - 07:35 PM

My TO LP-2 is one of the wider bandpass UHC filters.  It's nowhere near as broad as the UHC-S, but its also nowhere near as aggressive as the TV O-III.  I'm just wondering if the narrower UHC's like the Lumicon will work better/different on the objects the TO responds to.  My thoughts are that they will give different views, but not spectacularly different.  I'm pretty certain I'll end up grabbing one or the other, but just curious to hear what others think...  And thanks very much for the comments so far.

I personally use the O-III’s a lot less and on specific objects ! I sound like a real filter user but I’m not but when I want one I have a good selection.

Edited by LDW47, 26 November 2020 - 07:36 PM.

• brentknight likes this

#9 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 26 November 2020 - 08:04 PM

The answer to your question is”Yes”.  The Thousand Oaks is ok.  But it is not as good as the Lumicon or TV band mate II both of which have higher transmission over the critical wavelengths and narrower bandwidth.  So you will get a brighter image and better contrast.  

• brentknight likes this

#10 MarMax

MarMax

Viking 1

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 26 November 2020 - 08:09 PM

Brent, I've not put much time through my filters and need to do so but I've got a Lumicon Gen3 UHC (narrow band) and the Celestron wide band UHC which is supposedly the same as the Baader UHC-S (both in 2"). In 1.25" I've just bought a DGM NPB but have not received it yet.

If you would like me to look at some specific objects and give you impressions I'd be happy to. Just shoot a PM and we can go from there.

• brentknight likes this

#11 brentknight

brentknight

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 27 November 2020 - 12:38 PM

Brent, I've not put much time through my filters and need to do so but I've got a Lumicon Gen3 UHC (narrow band) and the Celestron wide band UHC which is supposedly the same as the Baader UHC-S (both in 2"). In 1.25" I've just bought a DGM NPB but have not received it yet.

If you would like me to look at some specific objects and give you impressions I'd be happy to. Just shoot a PM and we can go from there.

That's a kind offer MarMax.  I'd be interested in your impressions on any objects you would care to compare.  There are plenty of bright (and not so bright) nebula up in the sky right now...

#12 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors

Posted 27 November 2020 - 02:24 PM

I had that filter and it missed one of the 3 lines so contrast enhancement was poor.  The bandwidth is OK, just slightly misplaced.

For a filter that transmits red, like the LP-2, but has better control of its bandwidth, there is the Astronomik UHC Visual, or the DGM NPB.

The NPB has a very narrow blue-green bandwidth, so stars appear red-orange, but contrast enhancement is quite good.

The Lumicon or TeleVue have zero red transmission, so star images appear more blue-green.

I think it is reasonable to have one of each type.  Some nebulae really respond to having a red transmission (M42/M8/M17), while others do not (M27, M76, NGC6888)

Some people are bothered by seeing red star images, but you get the filter to enhance nebulae, right?  You don't need a filter to look at stars.

All these filters are best at low powers (2.5mm + exit pupils).

If you added a filter right this minute, I'd look first at an O-III filter (Astronomik, TeleVue, Lumicon) because the view is very different of objects with a lot of O-III emission.

Then look at a narrowband without red to complement the T.O. filter.

• brentknight, j.gardavsky and PolyhedralPig like this

#13 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK. Dark end of the street.

Posted 27 November 2020 - 05:09 PM

What UHCs have some Hydrogen Beta that might help with the Horsehead? 

#14 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors

Posted 27 November 2020 - 05:54 PM

What UHCs have some Hydrogen Beta that might help with the Horsehead? 

Lumicon UHC Gen.3**
Orion UltraBlock##
Tele Vue Optics Bandmate II Nebustar**
Zhumell UHC
Solomark UHC
Antares UHC
Astro-Tech UHC
Telescope Service UHC Narrowband
Astromania UHC
Future Optics (OPT) UHC
Garrett UHC
Astronomik UHC Visual**
DGM Optics NPB(narrow pass band)**
Intercon Spacetec (ICS) UHC**
ThousandOaks LP-2 Narrowband##
Omegon UHC
Omegon Pro UHC
Arcturus UHC
AS Research UHC
DGM Optics VHT(very high transmission)
KSON UHC
Optolong UHC
StarGuy UHC
SVBONY UHC
SkyWatcher UHC
Explore Scientific UHC
Ostara UHC
Castell UHC
Astronomik UHC-E

Recommended ones have **

Recommended, but with some reservations, have ##

• 25585 and Voyager 3 like this

#15 brentknight

brentknight

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 27 November 2020 - 06:39 PM

Thanks Don!

#16 RLK1

RLK1

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 November 2020 - 01:15 AM

As noted in a past critique of the svbony UHC, the reviewer noted, "The “real” UHC filter should only pass H-beta lines (486.1 nm) and an OIII doublet (495.9 and 500.7) nm). The el-cheapo Svbony 1.25" uhc, currently on sale amazon for around $24.00 bucks with a black Friday coupon, has too wide a bandpass to be considered a true uhc, and passes H-beta, OIII and H-alpha. That's probably typical of inexpensive uhc filters.  It transmits light in the red region and it can be useful for shooting hydrogen nebulae in urban light conditions for those who are into imaging. I ordered one to play with it in my scopes and every now and then you can get lucky with one of these cheapie filters. I've got an astrotech broadband filter that works great and probably just as well as the more expensive ones. OTH, the cheapie O111 filters are, in my experience, best avoided. 

• 25585 likes this

#17 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK. Dark end of the street.

Posted 28 November 2020 - 07:20 AM

Thanks Don!

+1 I will get an Astronomiks ** waytogo.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dso, equipment, filters

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics