•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron 9.25 Edge Collimation/Focus Issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 The Cat

The Cat

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 November 2020 - 10:04 PM

So, I have a new Celestron 9.25" Edge, which I'm using on a new iOptron CEM70 mount. My experience to date has been with a simple, 100 mm refractor on a Meade GEM mount. I have never owned a reflector before. 

Out of the box, there have been issues with focusing. The star or planet would reduce almost to the point of being sharp but then enlarge again when I turned the focuser. So, I checked collimation by blowing out the focus on a bright star. Sure enough, the circle in the center was not centered. It was off to the left. Following the instructions, I used a screwdriver to adjust the screws, just a little, but, very quickly, the object became extremely dim. I don't know whether the circle in the center moved at all -- the object just grayed out! So I slewed to the moon and even that was very dim. I have no clue what happened. Any suggestions? I hope I haven't totally knocked the secondary mirror off-center. 

Help!!  

Thanks,

Felix

#2 Xeroid

Xeroid

Vanguard

• Loc: USA

Posted 26 November 2020 - 10:21 PM

Just a suggestion:

- Obtain a small ball bearing to use as an artificial star in direct sun light.

- Get and read: Ed's Guide to SCT Collimation

Edited by Xeroid, 26 November 2020 - 10:23 PM.

• lbim likes this

#3 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 27 November 2020 - 01:16 AM

Don't know where you are, but if it is like here (Ohio) your eyepiece and/or corrector probably dewed up.

• Asbytec and Gleb1964 like this

#4 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 27 November 2020 - 08:25 AM

So, I have a new Celestron 9.25" Edge, which I'm using on a new iOptron CEM70 mount. My experience to date has been with a simple, 100 mm refractor on a Meade GEM mount. I have never owned a reflector before. 

Out of the box, there have been issues with focusing. The star or planet would reduce almost to the point of being sharp but then enlarge again when I turned the focuser. So, I checked collimation by blowing out the focus on a bright star. Sure enough, the circle in the center was not centered. It was off to the left. Following the instructions, I used a screwdriver to adjust the screws, just a little, but, very quickly, the object became extremely dim. I don't know whether the circle in the center moved at all -- the object just grayed out! So I slewed to the moon and even that was very dim. I have no clue what happened. Any suggestions? I hope I haven't totally knocked the secondary mirror off-center. 

Help!!  

Thanks,

Felix

You don’t have to have a camera but just watch this.  Ultimately it’s best to have the telescope positioned upward at a star but look at this first. https://youtu.be/hqRVIDj4aZA

• George N likes this

#5 The Cat

The Cat

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 November 2020 - 03:46 PM

Okay — thanks foe the great feedback. I read the article and also watched the video and a couple others. It’s not sunny enough for the ball bearing approach and it won’t be clear enough tonight to target a star, so I guess I’m in a holding pattern.

I think I may have tightened all three screws way too much. Would that cause the image to go very dim? I mean, by the end of my efforts last night, it appeared that I was observing the shadow of a star not a bright starry/Airie disc.

Edited by The Cat, 27 November 2020 - 03:46 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics