•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO 294MC Pro Broken Red/Blue?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dagger10k

dagger10k

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Francisco

Posted 27 November 2020 - 03:40 AM

Something has been weird with my 294MC Pro recently, where the red and blue channels of the images seem to be almost empty, where there used to be a lot more signal. I'm wondering if I did something wrong

One example is this recent image: https://www.astrobin.com/dwd2o4, where only the bright center of Orion has any non-green color, and the rest of the image is just solid green (with the exception of the centers of bright stars).

Or today, I've been doing some more imaging of emission nebulae with the l-eNhance filter, and I'm seeing more of the same.

Does anybody know of any camera settings I might have messed up, or any other reason this could be happening?

Here's an example of an image taken previously, with a more reasonable color balance: https://www.astrobin.com/b4i7el

I've uploaded individual subs from each of these projects, as well as a test stack of the new target here:
https://drive.google...re2Yn929V6ynx05

If anyone has any idea at all what might be happening, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving!

#2 ButterFly

ButterFly

Skylab

Posted 27 November 2020 - 03:45 AM

Check the white balance.  ZWO does it by setting the brightness of red and blue.  Green goes along for the ride.  Point at something white during the day and adjust red and blue until it looks white.  The controls are in nearly every imaging software.  Whichever one you use could be remembering the previous setting.

#3 dagger10k

dagger10k

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 November 2020 - 04:20 AM

Hmm, yeah now that I look at it, my white balance settings (in sharpcap) were set to B=88, R=52, but are now set to B=50, R=50. I never paid much attention to that. I guess I didn't expect that those would actually be reflected in the save images, so I didn't notice it changing, but I'll have to give it another try with those set to their previous values.

It's still not clear to me why B=50, R=50 would produce an image that's so drastically different than B=88, R=52 either, with almost all the red and blue just gone.

Edited by dagger10k, 27 November 2020 - 04:28 AM.

#4 happylimpet

happylimpet

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 27 November 2020 - 04:51 AM

I wonder if youve changed the wred and wblue (white balance) settings since you took your darks...... looks like those might be oversubtracting.

Or the offset/brightness setting.

Edited by happylimpet, 27 November 2020 - 04:52 AM.

#5 dagger10k

dagger10k

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 November 2020 - 02:57 PM

Yeah, all my light and calibration frames are out of wack, since it looks like both the brightness and white balance settings have changed since I took those.

Thanks for all the help! It should have been obvious, but I missed the changed camera settings. I'll know to pay attention to those next time.

Edited by dagger10k, 28 November 2020 - 02:37 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics