•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Newbie questions

beginner
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fishingtom

fishingtom

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 November 2020 - 09:21 AM

After doing  a Starsense alignment (8se) and then using Goto to get to Jupiter I was close but not quite there.  On my SkyPortal app the target icon was directly on Jupiter but I couldn't see it through the scope, I was a little low.  After elevating slightly I had Jupiter centered in the scope but now the target icon on my screen was above Jupiter slightly.  Is there a way to remedy this since I'm so close without doing another alignment?  I use wifi adapter for date & time inputs.  Not using the handset.

Thanks

#2 Ulmer Spatz

Ulmer Spatz

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Croaker, Virginia

Posted 27 November 2020 - 10:05 AM

Could you have missed a step in the setup? There's a one-time calibration that needs to be made before StarSense AutoAlign can work as advertised. StarSense needs to know the difference between what you see in the center of the eyepiece and what the camera sees in its optical center. Once StarSense knows that difference, it can compensate for it.

This one-time center calibration eliminates the need for the scope and the camera to be physically aligned to perfection. The details of the procedure should be somewhere in the manual--hopefully at the beginning, but you never know.

Edited by Ulmer Spatz, 28 November 2020 - 08:06 AM.

#3 fishingtom

fishingtom

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 November 2020 - 08:33 PM

I'll look for it Michael, thanks

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics