•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Looking for info on StellarVue SV115T

astrophotography imaging optics refractor
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Neinball

Neinball

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Louisiana

Posted 27 November 2020 - 05:03 PM

I'm trying to find some information on the SV115 scopes, I've seen some old threads but they weren't helpful. I've read that some of these use what is thought to be LZOS OK4 while others use Chinese FK61 and are no different from the AstroTech/Orion 115. Anyone able to clear this up for me and know how these perform for imaging duty?

#2 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 27 November 2020 - 05:26 PM

You need to know the vintage/age and the numbers/letters following the SV115 to be sure.

Some older models did indeed use LZOS whereas newer offerings are the same (glass) as the AT115.

The front lens ring can sometimes reveal this info as well.

#3 photoracer18

photoracer18

Soyuz

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 27 November 2020 - 05:27 PM

If the scope says LZOS on the front its the same optics as the TMB 115 triplet, OK-4 ED element in the center. I used to own SV-115T Serial #004. Definitely the same optics as the one APM used to sell as the LZOS/TMB 115 F7 because those scopes used the original LZOS steel lens cell which has the Russian data and serial number on the front of the cell.. At some point SV and later APM switched to a Chinese triplet because the cost had risen a lot. I don't know at what point they switched but at that point they marketed them as a different model. If it does not have the LZOS lens cell its not a TMB optical design.

Also the first 5 to maybe a dozen were done in anodized blue before they switched to a white tube. Here is mine although it is now owned by a friend of mine down the road.

SV-115Tg.gif

Edited by photoracer18, 27 November 2020 - 05:33 PM.

• Scott in NC and Tyson M like this

#4 Scott in NC  Happy Birthday!

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 27 November 2020 - 07:27 PM

If the scope says LZOS on the front its the same optics as the TMB 115 triplet, OK-4 ED element in the center. I used to own SV-115T Serial #004. Definitely the same optics as the one APM used to sell as the LZOS/TMB 115 F7 because those scopes used the original LZOS steel lens cell which has the Russian data and serial number on the front of the cell.. At some point SV and later APM switched to a Chinese triplet because the cost had risen a lot. I don't know at what point they switched but at that point they marketed them as a different model. If it does not have the LZOS lens cell its not a TMB optical design.

Also the first 5 to maybe a dozen were done in anodized blue before they switched to a white tube. Here is mine although it is now owned by a friend of mine down the road.

attachicon.gifSV-115Tg.gif

I just bought one that looks just like that a few days ago (also anodized blue, with TMB/LZOS lens, although my rings look slightly different), and it’s one of the nicest scopes that I’ve ever owned.

But to get back to the OP’s question, the SV115s made with Russian OK-4 glass by LZOS were produced between 2004 and 2006.  Anything after that was redesignated the SV115T by Stellarvue, and I don’t believe that the glass origin was ever disclosed (it wasn’t LZOS, though).

• Tyson M likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, imaging, optics, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics