•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

TV 76

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RedzoneMN

RedzoneMN

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: West of the Twin Cities

Posted 28 November 2020 - 05:31 AM

What do you guys think about the TV76 as an Astro photography beginner scope?

Thank you

#2 Tim C

Tim C

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Marietta, GA

Posted 28 November 2020 - 09:02 AM

A 70mm to 80mm refractor is perfect to begin with and also for advanced imaging.  Tons of objects are best framed in scopes of that size.  I'm personally partial to triplets for imaging to get the best color correction.  I have an older TV76 that I like for "grab and go" viewing but I like my Stellarvue SVX080T for imaging.  Can't go wrong with the TV76 though, it's a classy and high quality scope.

Tim

#3 Panotaker

Panotaker

Viking 1

• Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 28 November 2020 - 09:29 AM

I have a TV-76, a TV-85, and an NP-101. I got them all used and dirt cheap. I have used the NP-101  and the TV-85 for imaging. I haven’t used the TV-76 for imaging yet. I mainly got that one for birding, but it probably images as good as my TV-85 since they are both doublets, and the TV-85 is excellent. But if I was going to buy a small scope for imaging, I would get at least a triplet like Tim suggested. Unless you got a smoking deal on a used one. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics