•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How much mount to carry a 6" f/8 Newt

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jmillsbss

jmillsbss

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: New Albany, Mississippi, USA

Posted 28 November 2020 - 01:26 PM

So I came across a yard sale XT6.  The base looks like they were getting ready to bust it up for kindling.  The optical surfaces are remarkably good, once cleaned, save for one half inch scratch across the edge of the primary.  I don't know if I'm ready to rebuild a base or if I want to go Dr. Frankenstein on this thing and have a go at a truss tube (just because I want to, really.  A practice run for the day I build a 24"!).  That would prbably increase the weight over the tube, so maybe not.  Anyway...

How much mount would it take to support the tube on an EQ mount?  Orion's specs say the tube is 13.5 lbs.  Of course that doesn't account for eyepiece or finderscope.  Whatcha think?

#2 slepage

slepage

Viking 1

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 28 November 2020 - 01:52 PM

For observational use, I think that you need to be at a minimum mount capacity of 1.5 times the scope's weight.  Double the scope' weight would be best.

Steve

#3 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 28 November 2020 - 01:55 PM

The length of the OTA is going to wreak havoc  for visual or AP.  Also, the placement of the eyepiece (for visual) gets into some weird positions with an EQ which is why the Dob design is so popular.

#4 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 28 November 2020 - 01:56 PM

An EQ-5/Vixen GP size mount on a suitably short and strong tripod should do the trick. I have my 6" f/8 on an EQ-6, which is a little overkill, but the added stability is very nice. 

I briefly tried an EQ-3, but that's definitely not enough.

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

#5 vtornado

vtornado

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 28 November 2020 - 05:19 PM

I had an 8 inch f/5 on an orion skypro mount.   It was at the edge of the mounts capability.  The 6 f/8 would be lighter but slightly longer.

I would say you should go the next step up over a c5 class mount.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics