•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Identifying Source of Reflection Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AstroPics

AstroPics

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Atlanta, GA

Posted 28 November 2020 - 02:25 PM

I haven't done any imaging for a while. I do remember having some reflection issues in the imaging train before I decided to take a break from it all. So, I decided to pull out the scope today and try to figure out where the issue lies. Of course, now, I can't remember all the various changes I made that may have led up to the problem.

So, is there any practical method to identify the source of reflections? Something that can be done on the bench? I've been fiddling but before I comment further, I'd be interested in what has helped you.

Short of a bench solution, how would you go about trying to isolate the problem?

#2 gatsbyiv

gatsbyiv

Viking 1

• Loc: Doylestown, PA

Posted 28 November 2020 - 03:08 PM

You can estimate the space between the reflecting elements causing the halo by measuring the halo size on the sensor, multiplying by the focal ratio of your optics, then dividing by 2. 

Usually the result will clearly match the distance between two of your optical surfaces (filter to back of flattener, filter to sensor cover glass, etc).  

• Dean J., sharkmelley and RazvanUnderStars like this

#3 AstroPics

AstroPics

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Atlanta, GA

Posted 29 November 2020 - 10:28 AM

Thanks Charlie. This should get me in the ballpark to identify where the problem lies.

Edited by AstroPics, 29 November 2020 - 10:28 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics