•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help! CPC Deluxe HD 1100 Power Issue (2017)

Celestron equipment
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 StarRay

StarRay

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 November 2020 - 02:57 PM

Hey all!  When I plugged the telescope in with the AC power supply and turned it on the red light on the power button blinks and there is no power to the NexStar+ handset.  When the power button is off the green light on the power supply is solid, when the power button is on and blinking, the green light on the power supply is also blinking in unison with the power button light.   The power supply is putting out 12.3 V according to my volt meter.  I tried the cigarette lighter power from my car but it does not appear to be compatible with my new car or is just dead.  Has anyone had a power switch go bad?  Any idea what could be causing this?  Thanks!

Edit: the fuse is blown in the cigarette adapter...

Edited by StarRay, 28 November 2020 - 03:15 PM.

#2 scopewizard

scopewizard

Ranger 4

• Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 28 November 2020 - 03:06 PM

In some car, the cigarette plug is not powered unless the engine is on.

As for your power supply, it may work with no load on it but fails when the demand is applied.

You need to fine a reliable way to supply your mount with the required power, if the mount works then you have a faulty power supply.

#3 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Gemini

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 29 November 2020 - 09:02 PM

Yes I know what the issue is.  Push down on the power plug you inserted into the mount.  If you just grabbed whatever 12v power supply you have laying around, the nipple is not long enough to reach and make contact.  If you push down on it while watching the light, you'll see it come on steady. I bought a few of these https://www.amazon.c...duct/B08HQW1DX2 and then I connect the 12v DC power plug into the other end and haven't had any issues with the mount coming alive.

Edited by Whichwayisnorth, 29 November 2020 - 09:03 PM.

#4 StarRay

StarRay

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2020 - 10:26 PM

Thanks for the response Whichwayisnorth.  I'm using the OEM power supply that came with the telescope.  The plug type/nipple length should be fine since it worked before.  It could be a bad power supply so I will need to find another.  The mount blows the fuse in the car adapter when connected so I'm thinking it is something more problematic.  Although it could be a bad car power cord too.  I have a message into Celestron.  

#5 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Gemini

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 29 November 2020 - 11:38 PM

Oh ok, I misunderstood your issue.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics