•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

QHY461 first light and review

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#26 prefetch

prefetch

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 December 2020 - 04:06 PM

prefetch,

Are you a LRGB or NB imager?

depends on if the moon is out or not.  grin.gif

point taken though - i'll have to keep in mind that i need to switch depending on LRGB vs. NB.  this is a small price to pay for the benefits of CMOS vs. CCD.

#27 dghent

dghent

Viking 1

• Vendors

Posted 01 December 2020 - 04:23 PM

Offset is not critical so don't go overboard about this. Probably offset of 25 or 50 for all gains should be good enough.

Ugh, offset /is/ critical if you don't specify enough for the level of gain you are running at, or all your lowest pixel values will fall off the histogram and become 0 values. You /can/ overdo offset and have more than is warranted. But blanket-stating that offset isn't critical at all is what leads people to ignore it altogether and then later wonder why their exposures get trashed in the darkest areas when they up the gain for a session.

• leviathan and Terry White like this

#28 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

• Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 01 December 2020 - 07:33 PM

You /can/ overdo offset and have more than is warranted. 

This is what I meant. Kind of like one size fits all. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Peter 

Edited by Peter in Reno, 01 December 2020 - 07:38 PM.

• dghent likes this

#29 Coconuts

Coconuts

Viking 1

Posted 01 December 2020 - 09:09 PM

dghent:  You are clearly well versed in offsets, among other things.  Could you suggest an optimal offset for gain 0 and 100 for the ZWO ASI6200 (Sony IMX455)?  Thanks!

All the best,

Kevin

#30 dghent

dghent

Viking 1

• Vendors

Posted 01 December 2020 - 10:33 PM

dghent:  You are clearly well versed in offsets, among other things.  Could you suggest an optimal offset for gain 0 and 100 for the ZWO ASI6200 (Sony IMX455)?  Thanks!

It's fairly impossible to prescribe a good offset for a given camera sight-unseen. The camera vendor decides how far each point of offset pushes the curve to the right, and this can come down to a multitude of factors that aren't exposed or made obvious to the user. There's no universal rule around it or anything. The best way to address this is to know how to find it yourself using bias exposures or the equivalent thereof. Armed with this knowledge, you'll be able to figure it out for any camera that you have in hand. How to find a good offset.

• ezwheels and Terry White like this

#31 Coconuts

Coconuts

Viking 1

Posted 02 December 2020 - 06:29 AM

Thanks; your reference is just what I needed!

All the best,

Kevin

#32 dghent

dghent

Viking 1

• Vendors

Posted 02 December 2020 - 08:57 AM

the camera only supports 1x and 2x binning and w/ a pixel size of 3.7um i end up with extremely oversampled images even at 2x bin, giving me 0.36 arcsec per pixel and very large files (~50MB) that balloon up to ~100MB during processing in pixinsight.

I asked QHY and they said that bin3 and bin4 for this camera is in testing and will be in near-future release of the SDK.
  • prefetch likes this

#33 prefetch

prefetch

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 December 2020 - 06:19 PM

UPDATE:

it looks like the QHY461 camera died on me.  confused1.gif

it powers up, but can no longer be found by anything.  i reinstalled the drivers and even went to a 2nd computer and then a 3rd completely new computer fresh out of the box and all the same results.  tried ASCOM drivers too and windows simply no longer sees the device as a camera.  it either thinks it's a "west bridge" device, or it tells me that the device is malfunctioning.  i read somewhere on the interwebs that seeing a westbridge device indicates firmware corruption.

man, i'm bummed.  i really like this camera.  i think i'm going to have to send it back to china and if i'm super lucky i'll get it back by january, but more likely february or march.

#34 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 04 December 2020 - 06:50 PM

Sorry to hear; where did you buy it? You should be getting a new one overnighted to you instead of repairing this one. Just tell them to send you a new one while you send it back to a US destination of their choosing. No need to play the China game.

Sensors on these high end CMOS cameras (...and I am NOT pointing only to 461) might be Sony, tech infrastructure for the most part is bit 'lemony' for the lack of a better word. Repairs and warranties apply to established/reputed/tested products; this is a beta release at best and they should be happy someone is willing to take the lead, test it and get the bugs out.

Equivalent example I can give you is of Land Rover Defender; an all around lemon that world is going crazy over to get one. Nothing wrong with lemons, just that they shouldn't be sold as 'finished' products, and manufactures should stand ready to lay out the red carpet for early adopters.

I really would like now ZWO to take a stab at 461 in under $10K offering; this $30K tag is for birds. Regards

Edited by mmalik, 04 December 2020 - 07:04 PM.

#35 prefetch

prefetch

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 December 2020 - 07:32 PM

Sorry to hear; where did you buy it? You should be getting a new one overnighted to you instead of repairing this one. Just tell them to send you a new one while you send it back to a US destination of their choosing. No need to play the China game.

Sensors on these high end CMOS cameras (...and I am NOT pointing only to 461) might be Sony, tech infrastructure for the most part is bit 'lemony' for the lack of a better word. Repairs and warranties apply to established/reputed/tested products; this is a beta release at best and they should be happy someone is willing to take the lead, test it and get the bugs out.

Equivalent example I can give you is of Land Rover Defender; an all around lemon that world is going crazy over to get one. Nothing wrong with lemons, just that they shouldn't be sold as 'finished' products, and manufactures should stand ready to lay out the red carpet for early adopters.

I really would like now ZWO to take a stab at 461 in under $10K offering; this $30K tag is for birds. Regards

the QHY461 is only available directly from QHY, and i'm pretty confident that they won't overnight me a new one from china.  :-(

and sadly enough, over the years i've owned 3 land rovers (two range rovers and one defender) - they are fun and beautiful, but very, very buggy (or as we say in the car world "full of gremlins".)

it's really a function of low volume - there just aren't enough produced and used by enough people to get the bugs worked out.  at least, that's the rationale.

and yes, i'd love to buy a 461 from ZWO!

• R Botero likes this

#36 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 04 December 2020 - 08:10 PM

All I am saying is that for customers like yourself, QHY should have a proxy in the US to work with you. They should be handling all of this from end to end, so you don't have to deal with China and the repairs. I for one wouldn't accept a repair at this stage of the game; you simply should be getting another NEW one from them while you ship this one back at your leisure. If I were running QHY, I would be personally calling you right about now.

For some folks it takes three 'Defenders' to get it right. 461 is not the only one; QHY is well-known for their gremlins getting abound. This is the reason we need other players at this level, but not at this price. Regards

Edited by mmalik, 04 December 2020 - 08:11 PM.

• R Botero likes this

#37 alan.dang

alan.dang

Messenger

Posted 05 December 2020 - 04:00 AM

https://www.sbscient...hnical-support/

They should be the US support site for QHY. This will be a good test of how QHY support is for a professional level product. Sorry that you have to be part of the test.
  • prefetch likes this

#38 prefetch

prefetch

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 December 2020 - 09:59 AM

https://www.sbscient...hnical-support/

They should be the US support site for QHY. This will be a good test of how QHY support is for a professional level product. Sorry that you have to be part of the test.

thanks for the tip. laugh.gif 

i had forgotten that SBS was affiliated with QHY.  i've got one of their seeing monitors.

i'll call them on monday and see if they can help.  hopefully it's just a firmware issue and they can either walk me through a reflash or they can take care of it in california, which is a lot closer than beijing...

#39 dmorillo

dmorillo

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 January 2021 - 07:47 PM

Curious as to whether you were able to get support from China or SBS on the camera...

#40 Mert

Mert

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Spain, Pamplona

Posted 03 January 2021 - 06:34 AM

If it's firmware maybe QHY can help you through a Teamviewer session?

Edited by Mert, 03 January 2021 - 06:35 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics