•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

why didn't I think of that 2in1 binocs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 November 2020 - 04:16 PM

While perusing the miniaturebinoculars.com website and their binoculars brochure I looked  at various "united binocular" brochures and they had a listing for a 50mmIF binoculars that came with 2 sets of eyepieces (looked to be the typical threaded section for the IF oculars) that was sold with the eyepieces to allow  the change from 7x50 to 12x50. It's sounded like a good idea (7x+350'FOV, the 12x-288' Fov), right up to the point that I wondered  how long it took some hamfisted binoc user to crossthread the IF eyepieces, judging from the number of trashed threads at the rear of some of the classics that I've bought, they likely would have been trashed in short order. Interesting idea none the less.  Regards, Pat

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 28 November 2020 - 05:05 PM

Solution >>> Only buy new. It's not the job of the original owner to pamper his binos for the next guy who wants cheap or classic. (provided the seller highlights/reveals former abuse!) That's one reason I take half of my old optics to the Town Dump. The amount of classic old B&L stuff under the rubble is substantial!

Related Anecdote: Back then (early 1970s) I was a scientist... and doing my usual thoughtful walk-around the B&L optics and machine shops. Passing a bench with row upon row of perfectly fine-looking high-end microscopes... each with a metal pike hammered right thru the eyepiece and out the condenser end! I asked the floor-boss what's up, and he gave the entirely logical explanation: The scopes were what was left over upon completion and delivery on a Government Contract. That contract required that "remaining inventory shall be destroyed". That was pretty standard, helped assure that the intellectual and physical property would less-likely get into the hands of the enemy. I believe it also was the ~right thing to do~ for the financials, reporting, taxes, etc. Somehow it all made sense. The amount of good stuff that never sees use is pretty amazing.   Tom

[Here's an old picture of that old complex --- It's all gone now... sigh...]

Attached Thumbnails

• 82 Bausch & Lomb river complex 49.jpg

Edited by TOMDEY, 28 November 2020 - 08:45 PM.

• EverlastingSky, SMark, WALL.E and 2 others like this

#3 ihf

ihf

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 28 November 2020 - 09:00 PM

The enemy of course was using Zeiss microscopes. The enemy could produce fine instruments, but not at quantity to satisfy demand. This is why it would not have destroyed government excess. What it lacked was efficiency in mass production, which ironically was found in China.

#4 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 28 November 2020 - 11:06 PM

The enemy of course was using Zeiss microscopes. The enemy could produce fine instruments, but not at quantity to satisfy demand. This is why it would not have destroyed government excess. What it lacked was efficiency in mass production, which ironically was found in China.

It's actually astounding how wars provoke --- lightning-fast technological developments! Hence, as Eisenhower lamented... the "Military-Industrial Complex". The human condition remains primal... and frighteningly efficient...    Tom

#5 ihf

ihf

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 29 November 2020 - 12:37 AM

The last days I have been spending time in the Death Valley. I visited an old gold mining camp operated intermittently between 1907 and 1941. (Th US government wisely decided gold mining was not essential to defeat the enemy.) I found three huts in decent shape. One of them contained stoves and at least one, possibly two, fridges. One was a large Servel gas powered refrigerator. It stroke me how incredibly rich this country was, if even the most distant place not only had access to refrigeration in 1941, but could leave it behind when closing shop. Refrigeration in most countries was not trivial for many more years.

gallery_304848_14758_1504958.jpeg

Edited by ihf, 29 November 2020 - 12:38 AM.

• WALL.E and cnuser like this

#6 daniel_h

daniel_h

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: VIC, Australia

Posted 01 December 2020 - 02:25 AM

While perusing the miniaturebinoculars.com website and their binoculars brochure I looked  at various "united binocular" brochures and they had a listing for a 50mmIF binoculars that came with 2 sets of eyepieces (looked to be the typical threaded section for the IF oculars) that was sold with the eyepieces to allow  the change from 7x50 to 12x50. It's sounded like a good idea (7x+350'FOV, the 12x-288' Fov), right up to the point that I wondered  how long it took some hamfisted binoc user to crossthread the IF eyepieces, judging from the number of trashed threads at the rear of some of the classics that I've bought, they likely would have been trashed in short order. Interesting idea none the less.  Regards, Pat

i wish there were more binos like the leica duovid, especially bigger sizes like a 15-25x80, 25-40x100

#7 John A Roberts

John A Roberts

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 December 2020 - 04:07 AM

There was also a post-WWII offering by Hensoldt: the Hellso Duplex in 7x35 and 12x60

The objectives were changed to produce the two magnifications
The front wheel was the focuser, and the rear was the diopter adjustment for the right eyepiece
The unit in the 7x35 configuration fitted into a carry case along with the 12x60 objectives

The images were previously on the army-store24.de site at: https://www.army-sto...940/Categories 

John

Attached Thumbnails

• Duplex 12x60 & 7x35.jpg
  • Duplex and case.jpg

Edited by John A Roberts, 01 December 2020 - 04:19 AM.

• WALL.E likes this

#8 John A Roberts

John A Roberts

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 December 2020 - 04:11 AM

The Duplex is also included in Gijs van Ginkel’s 111 page 19 Mb presentation ‘Multi-functional binoculars and telescopes in the past four centuries’
There is a section on multi magnification binoculars (most function by changing eyepiece magnification in some way),
see at: https://www.houseofo...en-vergelijken/

John

Attached Thumbnails

• Duplex per Gijs van Ginkel.jpg

Edited by John A Roberts, 01 December 2020 - 04:12 AM.

• cnuser and Thotmosis like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics