•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jet transiting the Sun today (11-28-2020)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Greg M

Greg M

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Henderson, NV

Posted 28 November 2020 - 04:42 PM

I wasn't planning on sharing anything but then this happened.

https://youtu.be/Src6v4nxv5s

• dswtan, peterm, philmor56 and 9 others like this

#2 descott12

descott12

Gemini

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 28 November 2020 - 04:46 PM

So cool!

• Greg M likes this

#3 PhotonJohn

PhotonJohn

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Ahern Observatory Viera Florida

Posted 28 November 2020 - 04:50 PM

Great capture and presentation.
  • Greg M likes this

#4 bigdob24

bigdob24

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 28 November 2020 - 05:45 PM

I think this happens more than we realize, I was observing awhile back and had a jet go through the disk and then a couple minutes later a round object went through, weather balloon , satellite not sure . Always gets your attention 

• Greg M likes this

#5 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Apollo

• Loc: Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Posted 28 November 2020 - 06:13 PM

Neat!  I've seen this happen while observing the Sun with my 3" Ad Astra Mak many years ago.  The airliner was at a higher altitude and appeared much smaller.  Great that you caught it and shared it.

Jim

• Greg M likes this

#6 Stellar1

Stellar1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 28 November 2020 - 06:19 PM

Whoa! i was expecting a much smaller plane image (much higher up) that almost blotted out the sun.

• Greg M likes this

#7 lakeorion

lakeorion

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Orion MI

Posted 28 November 2020 - 06:27 PM

Yeah.  He was close.  I saw one during the Venus transit and it was much smaller.  I was at a park with about 100 other scopes and multiple hundreds of people.  100 people in the field called "Wow!" at the same time.

• Greg M and JamesMStephens like this

#8 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 28 November 2020 - 06:31 PM

Wonderful, and extremely close! About 2 miles away. Did it just happen... or did you position yourself to a flight path?

The sun and moon are actually superb backdrops for transient events that we would rarely witness, otherwise. I fondly recall watching flocks of birds migrating south  ~across~ the rising full moon, and no doubt navigating by its beacon "off the left wingtip and we're golden!"

Here's a plane pic from years ago when the sun was active... flying "into" the sun. The pilot most assuredly was wearing his darkest G-31 Ray-Bans.    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 83 Sun in the visible plane transiting.jpg

• dswtan, peterm, Greg M and 6 others like this

#9 Greg M

Greg M

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 29 November 2020 - 06:47 PM

Wonderful, and extremely close! About 2 miles away. Did it just happen... or did you position yourself to a flight path?

I live practically under the downwind leg for McCarran airport, Las Vegas, so I see these quick glimpses of shadows all the time when I'm outside. Only once caught just a wingtip when imaging. This is my first successful capture and it was purely by luck. I was sitting in my office and remoted into the scope outside. I was capturing a 1000 frame SER sequence and this happened at frame 940-960 so I almost missed it this time too!

#10 chemman

chemman

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 29 November 2020 - 08:35 PM

I live practically under the downwind leg for McCarran airport, Las Vegas, so I see these quick glimpses of shadows all the time when I'm outside. Only once caught just a wingtip when imaging. This is my first successful capture and it was purely by luck. I was sitting in my office and remoted into the scope outside. I was capturing a 1000 frame SER sequence and this happened at frame 940-960 so I almost missed it this time too!

Spent a few years flying in and out of McCarran from Albuquerque.  Had an apartment in N. Las Vegas so I could commute to Area 16 at NTS.  Never flew Janet, Lol.

I seem to get more Avian characters, Chickadees to Ospreys,  through my solar scope, don't think I have had a Jet yet.   

Greg M That is a very nice catch and a good looking shot with that ED127.  What focal length were you shooting with that ASI1600MM?  What do you think of it for your Lunt 80? Are you using a Barlow to get Critical Sampling for those 3.8um pixels?  

I just picked up a PGR Grasshopper 3 GS3-U3-123S6M-C with 3.45um pixels, 12.3mp@30fps.  It is fun but pretty sure I will be ordering a ASI1600 this week.

Chuck

• Greg M likes this

#11 Greg M

Greg M

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 30 November 2020 - 12:46 AM

Spent a few years flying in and out of McCarran from Albuquerque.  Had an apartment in N. Las Vegas so I could commute to Area 16 at NTS.  Never flew Janet, Lol.

I seem to get more Avian characters, Chickadees to Ospreys,  through my solar scope, don't think I have had a Jet yet.   

Greg M That is a very nice catch and a good looking shot with that ED127.  What focal length were you shooting with that ASI1600MM?  What do you think of it for your Lunt 80? Are you using a Barlow to get Critical Sampling for those 3.8um pixels?  

I just picked up a PGR Grasshopper 3 GS3-U3-123S6M-C with 3.45um pixels, 12.3mp@30fps.  It is fun but pretty sure I will be ordering a ASI1600 this week.

Chuck

Chuck,

I had the reducer and filter wheel on the scope (This was shot with Luminance in place.) because I didn't want to remove a bunch of gear as I am mainly imaging narrowband at night from my backyard. That makes the focal length around 670mm. ROI captured was 2000x2000 so I was able to grab around 23fps.

I love my Lunt 80mm but again, too lazy to switch gear out on the mount. I don't use a barlow with the Lunt but I'm not much for pixel-peeping. It seems ok to me but again, I'm not after the next APOD or anything. I just enjoy imaging for my Instagram account so pixel level quality is not needed for that.

• chemman likes this

#12 peterm

peterm

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia

Posted 30 November 2020 - 08:02 PM

Well GregM that's the best one I've seen so far. Well done.

• Greg M likes this

#13 Greg M

Greg M

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2020 - 02:44 PM

Well GregM that's the best one I've seen so far. Well done.

Thank you very much.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics