•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Psychology in Astronomy(just wanting to get this off my chest)

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 stargazer32864

stargazer32864

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Owensboro, KY

Posted 28 November 2020 - 05:27 PM

No one has to reply, just want to get this off of my chest. I had a bad dream last night. I dreamed I was setting up a new scope I purchased and it was an newtonian reflector on an equatorial mount. While waiting for it to cool down and the sun to set, a landslide happened. A large rock knocked over my scope, ruining the mount and getting dirt and rocks in the tube and on the primary mirror. I tried to fix it but the views in it were not good anymore. Now I'm afraid to take Betty Lou outside to do my star test and viewing session, (I've been waiting for cooler weather and dead bugs), even though there is no hillsides anywhere. I vow from now on to never eat any Tums right before bedtime to get rid of any heartburn. I'd rather deal with heartburn than lose another scope, even in my dreams. Thanks for listening.

~Robin

• CollinofAlabama, dragonstar4565, Barlowbill and 3 others like this

#2 Sheol

Sheol

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 November 2020 - 07:01 PM

ROFLOL. Maybe the food you ate that gave you the heartburn was responsible for this nightmare! I understand the trepidation you must feel right now, but it was just a bad dream. Go for these cooler nights now.

Clear Skies,

Matt.

• stargazer32864 likes this

#3 hambone20

hambone20

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 28 November 2020 - 07:33 PM

I woke up from a dream a couple of days ago and I was looking at the top of my head using two mirrors.  My bald spot looked the size of a small pizza pan!  End of any sleeping.

• stargazer32864 likes this

#4 Glory Eye

Glory Eye

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern Utah

Posted 28 November 2020 - 07:35 PM

No one has to reply, just want to get this off of my chest. I had a bad dream last night. I dreamed I was setting up a new scope I purchased and it was an newtonian reflector on an equatorial mount. While waiting for it to cool down and the sun to set, a landslide happened. A large rock knocked over my scope, ruining the mount and getting dirt and rocks in the tube and on the primary mirror. I tried to fix it but the views in it were not good anymore. Now I'm afraid to take Betty Lou outside to do my star test and viewing session, (I've been waiting for cooler weather and dead bugs), even though there is no hillsides anywhere. I vow from now on to never eat any Tums right before bedtime to get rid of any heartburn. I'd rather deal with heartburn than lose another scope, even in my dreams. Thanks for listening.

~Robin

I'm a skeptic when it comes to psychology, at least with all of the ridiculous Freud things, but I remember telling my aunt that I was having dreams about sitting down in class and finding that there was a test that day. In my dream I would panic because I had not studied at all and I couldn't answer any of the questions. My aunt did not cite any sources for her analysis but she told me that such dreams are indicative that I was a good student. The logic being that because I was in school and intensely focused on studying and getting good grades, it spilled over into my dreams. Applying the same thinking to your situation, it could be that being able to observe is important enough to you and in your thoughts enough that it spills over to your dreams.

#5 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 28 November 2020 - 08:06 PM

Since Covid isolation has nearly stopped all new outside experiences my dreams now all harken back to decades old happenings.   Pretty odd stuff.

#6 Notoriousnick

Notoriousnick

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Adelaide, South Australia

Posted 29 November 2020 - 01:35 AM

Seems to me it is simply anxiety about things outside of your control that may damage your scope smiley-char145.gif

• Piero DP, 25585 and Bowlerhat like this

#7 stargazer32864

stargazer32864

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 29 November 2020 - 03:02 AM

I was a mess. I've always babied my scopes and Betty Lou, (XT10" Plus Dob), is no exception. I've been promising some friends of mine to bring her over to do some stargazing. I guess I should do that now that it's cool enough.

~Robin

#8 Piero DP

Piero DP

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cambridge, UK

Posted 29 November 2020 - 04:18 AM

I'm a skeptic when it comes to psychology, at least with all of the ridiculous Freud things, but I remember telling my aunt that I was having dreams about sitting down in class and finding that there was a test that day. In my dream I would panic because I had not studied at all and I couldn't answer any of the questions. My aunt did not cite any sources for her analysis but she told me that such dreams are indicative that I was a good student. The logic being that because I was in school and intensely focused on studying and getting good grades, it spilled over into my dreams. Applying the same thinking to your situation, it could be that being able to observe is important enough to you and in your thoughts enough that it spills over to your dreams.

I can only guess psychology was not taught in your program, because reading your post it seems to me that you have no clue about Freud's theory, or things as you call them.
  • CollinofAlabama likes this

#9 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 29 November 2020 - 07:42 AM

I can only guess psychology was not taught in your program, because reading your post it seems to me that you have no clue about Freud's theory, or things as you call them.

Freud is controversial and he worked at a time when there was a limited understanding of how the brain actually worked. 

In any event, in my life, when a conflict spills over into my dreams, I realize I am getting a message.  If I were to dream that I was falling off the ladder of observing with my 22 inch, I would seriously consider parting ways with the scope.  

This is not because I think the dream is somehow telling the future.  Rather it's because the dream is telling me I am concerned enough about falling off the ladder that I should take note.  

Jon

• SteveV, Sarkikos, mich_al and 4 others like this

#10 Voyager 3

Voyager 3

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Near Bangalore, India

Posted 29 November 2020 - 08:37 AM

This is not because I think the dream is somehow telling the future.  Rather it's because the dream is telling me I am concerned enough about falling off the ladder that I should take note.  

Jon

Aren't you a sage Jon ? shocked.gif bow.gif

Lesson learnt and probably copy this quote somewhere else lol.gif flowerred.gif  .

#11 chrysalis

chrysalis

ISS

• Loc: North Central NC

Posted 29 November 2020 - 10:07 AM

“Scary mad wishes don’t make things come true.” - Mr. Rogers

• rathbaster, ShaulaB and Xeroid like this

#12 vdog

vdog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 29 November 2020 - 10:14 AM

Now I'm afraid to take Betty Lou outside to do my star test and viewing session, (I've been waiting for cooler weather and dead bugs), even though there is no hillsides anywhere.

lol.gif  Hey, it could be at risk of a meteorite strike.

The most memorable dreams do always seem to be those that scare the daylights out of us.  I still remember some nightmares I had as a child.

• CollinofAlabama likes this

#13 Piero DP

Piero DP

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cambridge, UK

Posted 29 November 2020 - 12:17 PM

Freud is controversial and he worked at a time when there was a limited understanding of how the brain actually worked.

In any event, in my life, when a conflict spills over into my dreams, I realize I am getting a message. If I were to dream that I was falling off the ladder of observing with my 22 inch, I would seriously consider parting ways with the scope.

This is not because I think the dream is somehow telling the future. Rather it's because the dream is telling me I am concerned enough about falling off the ladder that I should take note.

Jon

I don't agree that Freud is/was controversial actually.

And there is still very little knowledge about how the brain works nowadays..

In any case Freud worked on the connections between dreams and mental pathologies, in particular nevrosis. Citing Freud to explain a someone's one-off dream - as in this thread - doesn't make any sense. Thats pretty much just a dream.. of course you can believe what you want, but that doesn't have anything to do with Freud, so it is wrong and misleading to cite him.

It might be due to this misunderstanding that psychoanalysis has gradually been declining over the past few decades. I can see a lot of people to favour this change, with the excuse that psychoanalysis is not a science in the same way as biology or physics are. I suppose this class of people is the same that wants quick and cheap treatments, e.g. quick access to anti depressants and anti-anxiolitics, without even understanding the actual underlying issues.

#14 Sheol

Sheol

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 November 2020 - 02:00 PM

Since my Major in college was Psychology, I really had Freud drilled into me. But in fact, little of psychoanalysis is used these days in the way he formulated it. It still has its place in some conversion disorders & milder neurosis cases I must admit. But more research has proven much of the more serious mental illnesses as organic conditions in the brain.

Anyway, the OP was just a bit anxious & it showed up in a dream about their telescope. That is all that went on. Unless an earth quake hits the area! 

Clear Skies,

Matt.

#15 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 29 November 2020 - 02:30 PM

I don't agree that Freud is/was controversial actually.

And there is still very little knowledge about how the brain works nowadays..

In any case Freud worked on the connections between dreams and mental pathologies, in particular nevrosis. Citing Freud to explain a someone's one-off dream - as in this thread - doesn't make any sense. Thats pretty much just a dream.. of course you can believe what you want, but that doesn't have anything to do with Freud, so it is wrong and misleading to cite him.

It might be due to this misunderstanding that psychoanalysis has gradually been declining over the past few decades. I can see a lot of people to favour this change, with the excuse that psychoanalysis is not a science in the same way as biology or physics are. I suppose this class of people is the same that wants quick and cheap treatments, e.g. quick access to anti depressants and anti-anxiolitics, without even understanding the actual underlying 

Is Freud controversial?

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC5459228/

Modern neuroscience knows a lot about the workings of the brain. 

https://www.aaas.org...ence-brain-mind

Much is known today about the development of the brain that was unknown during Freud's time.

Jon

#16 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 November 2020 - 03:29 PM

Freudian psychoanalysis is pseudoscience.

Memory of dreams is dependent on where you are in your sleep cycle when you awake. If you wake after REM, you will remember your dreams. If you wake in a different phase, you will probably not recall your dreams.

Cognitive psychologists have investigated dreaming and learning, and found that dreams probably have some functional significance for learning. For example, you can increase your ability to learn a task by working on it before sleeping.

#17 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 29 November 2020 - 04:57 PM

Most of my scopes are stored in my garage.  Over the past 40 years or so I have dreamed that someone broke into my garage and stole them all.  I have had this dream probably at least 10-12 times.  

Edited by coopman, 29 November 2020 - 04:57 PM.

#18 stargazer32864

stargazer32864

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 29 November 2020 - 05:33 PM

Most of my scopes are stored in my garage.  Over the past 40 years or so I have dreamed that someone broke into my garage and stole them all.  I have had this dream probably at least 10-12 times.  

Everyday I think about storing my scope in the garage, making it easier to move outdoors. But then I remember that it could get dirty out there, even if there is a scope cover on it. My mom keeps the garage clean and orderly. But, there are the bugs that have intergalatic keggers out there and make a mess of things. It gives me the hebbie gebbies thinking of looking through the eyepiece and seeing, instead of the Orion nebula, a big, hairy spider.bigshock.gif

~Robin

#19 Sheol

Sheol

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 November 2020 - 07:24 PM

Or maybe the OP is a bit on the OCD side. ROFLOL.

Matt.

#20 MawkHawk

MawkHawk

Viking 1

• Loc: SE Michigan, USA

Posted 29 November 2020 - 08:30 PM

For a couple decades I repeatedly dreamed that I witnessed a plane crash. Different planes and location, but the same horror. One day in the 90's I was on our deck with my wife. I noticed a single-engine plane and a twin-engine flying perpendicular to each other at about the same altitude as far as I could tell. As they approached each other they apparently didn't see the other plane. They both veered off at the last second and didn't collide. I have not had the plane dream since.

Some weird ######.

Edited by MawkHawk, 29 November 2020 - 08:31 PM.

#21 Spikey131

Spikey131

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 November 2020 - 09:50 PM

I have been told by those who should knowEyecrazy.gif that dreams are not about the subject matter of the dream, but about the emotions that we are experiencing about the subject matter.  So the OPs dream was not so much about the loss of the telescope per se, but about “Loss” as a concept and the emotions surrounding it.  As others have suggested, it is a manifestation of anxiety like we all experience, and the brain’s way of dealing with it.

So, Robin, keep taking your telescope out and seek tranquility beneath the heavens.  Time under the stars is what we all need to quiet the anxiety in our lives, awake and asleepsmile.gif smile.gif

• CollinofAlabama and stargazer32864 like this

#22 Echolight

Echolight

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Texas

Posted 29 November 2020 - 11:17 PM

Try living with the shame of owning and using a big fast achro when it feels like the whole world beats you down with the damnation of the ancient science of Sidgwick and Contady. I may have to build an observatory so the neighbors won't see me smiling like an idiot when I look through it. blush.gif

#23 Notoriousnick

Notoriousnick

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Adelaide, South Australia

Posted 30 November 2020 - 12:37 AM

It gives me the hebbie gebbies thinking of looking through the eyepiece and seeing, instead of the Orion nebula, a big, hairy spider.bigshock.gif

~Robin

Oh great flame.gif, now how am I supposed to sleep tonight?

Cheers,

Nicholas (major Arachnophobe)

• stargazer32864 and Voyager 3 like this

#24 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK. Dark end of the street.

Posted 30 November 2020 - 10:23 AM

Everyday I think about storing my scope in the garage, making it easier to move outdoors. But then I remember that it could get dirty out there, even if there is a scope cover on it. My mom keeps the garage clean and orderly. But, there are the bugs that have intergalatic keggers out there and make a mess of things. It gives me the hebbie gebbies thinking of looking through the eyepiece and seeing, instead of the Orion nebula, a big, hairy spider.bigshock.gif

~Robin

As happened to Tintin in "Tintin and the Shooting Star".

#25 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Voyager 1

• Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 30 November 2020 - 10:56 AM

I have two recurring nightmares. One is that I signed a military contract again and am worried how I'll survive boot camp with my old damaged body. The other is that I signed up for classes at two different colleges, forgot about one of them, and remembered just in time to head over to a class and discover I've missed too much of the class to avoid failing. Oh, and a similar third nightmare: I dream I actually did not graduate yet but was just projected to graduate, and had a few remaining classes, or had graduated but signed up for classes and forgot about them. Procrastinated on withdrawing till too late to withdraw, and tank my GPA half a point. Then I dream I wake up but am unsure if the failed class was real or a dream.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics