•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Psychology in Astronomy(just wanting to get this off my chest)

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#26 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 30 November 2020 - 12:25 PM

I also have recurring dreams about being back in school and have been given a test that has no resemblance to the material presented in the class.  It is extremely stressful.  It's like I'm Sgt. Schultz and I know nothing.  The brain is a strange thing!  I have fallen out of bed twice in the last six months.  I recently got a bed side rail to keep that from happening again.  

#27 stargazer32864

stargazer32864

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Owensboro, KY

Posted 30 November 2020 - 12:33 PM

I also have recurring dreams about being back in school and have been given a test that has no resemblance to the material presented in the class.  It is extremely stressful.  It's like I'm Sgt. Schultz and I know nothing.  The brain is a strange thing!  I have fallen out of bed twice in the last six months.  I recently got a bed side rail to keep that from happening again.  

Same here. Several years ago I went back to college to get the classes I needed for the LPN program. How many times I dreamed about coming into class just to have a test sprung on us.

#28 stargazer32864

stargazer32864

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 30 November 2020 - 12:37 PM

Oh great flame.gif, now how am I supposed to sleep tonight?

Cheers,

Nicholas (major Arachnophobe)

How do you think I feel when I see brown recluse spiders coming out of the air flow vent behind my bed? You better believe I had pest control on speed dial.

• Notoriousnick likes this

#29 jouster

jouster

Apollo

• -----

Posted 30 November 2020 - 02:28 PM

I dreamed I was checking my Losmandy GM-8 to make sure I could add a Nexus DSC. In my dream I was fiddling around with the toe protector which promptly fell off and landed on my toe. That was pretty painful! Thank goodness it was just a dream.

Oh wait--it wasn't a dream. It happened and now I have a bruised toe because of damage from a...toe protector.

#30 bokemon

bokemon

Mariner 2

• Loc: Silicon Valley, California

Posted 01 December 2020 - 04:31 AM

I have two recurring nightmares. One is that I signed a military contract again and am worried how I'll survive boot camp with my old damaged body. The other is that I signed up for classes at two different colleges, forgot about one of them, and remembered just in time to head over to a class and discover I've missed too much of the class to avoid failing. Oh, and a similar third nightmare: I dream I actually did not graduate yet but was just projected to graduate, and had a few remaining classes, or had graduated but signed up for classes and forgot about them. Procrastinated on withdrawing till too late to withdraw, and tank my GPA half a point. Then I dream I wake up but am unsure if the failed class was real or a dream.

These dreams are actually kind of common

#31 bokemon

bokemon

Mariner 2

• Loc: Silicon Valley, California

Posted 01 December 2020 - 04:38 AM

This is real life and not a dream:

I was balancing my newtonian on the EQ mount and it fell out, hitting the ground mirror-side first.  Fortunately the mirror did not break, but I think the collimation is now out.  Anyway it was because the clamp on the Vixen mount got caught on a lip and didn't actually close all the way around the dovetail.

These days, I get very nervous when doing my Sharpcap polar alignment where I have to rotate the RA axis 90 degrees and tip the scope on its side.

#32 Sheol

Sheol

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 December 2020 - 07:16 PM

I actually used to have that college class one fairly often. Always puzzled me, since in un-real life ( college, dorms, etc. ) I never missed a class unless very ill or injured. Oh I skipped a couple but not often. And I was always early. And I woke up early. So much so, that some of my friends from my dorm kept threatening to spike my evening food with various sleeping meds! LOL.

Now days, I would have trouble doing that. I can get up early every now & then, but since the Pandemic erased my job I tend to go back to bed. 

This telescope dream might also be the OP's dreaming mind expressing anxiety about that subject, a thought I had last night after I signed off CN.

Clear Skies,

Matt.

#33 stargazer32864

stargazer32864

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2020 - 09:43 PM

This is real life and not a dream:

I was balancing my newtonian on the EQ mount and it fell out, hitting the ground mirror-side first.  Fortunately the mirror did not break, but I think the collimation is now out.  Anyway it was because the clamp on the Vixen mount got caught on a lip and didn't actually close all the way around the dovetail.

These days, I get very nervous when doing my Sharpcap polar alignment where I have to rotate the RA axis 90 degrees and tip the scope on its side.

OUCH!!!! I'm glad your mirror did not break. That would be an arm and leg to replace. I often wondered how stable EG mounts were when it came to newtonian scopes mounted on them.

#34 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Voyager 1

• Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 02 December 2020 - 09:33 AM

I actually used to have that college class one fairly often. Always puzzled me, since in un-real life ( college, dorms, etc. ) I never missed a class unless very ill or injured. Oh I skipped a couple but not often. And I was always early. And I woke up early. So much so, that some of my friends from my dorm kept threatening to spike my evening food with various sleeping meds! LOL.
Now days, I would have trouble doing that. I can get up early every now & then, but since the Pandemic erased my job I tend to go back to bed.
This telescope dream might also be the OP's dreaming mind expressing anxiety about that subject, a thought I had last night after I signed off CN.

Clear Skies,
Matt.

I actually did take classes at two different schools, 27 units total, A, B, B, C, C, D, D, F were my grades that semester. I knew where my classes were, but I did not go to several, and worried when the test was, and still got a C in organic chemistry. That was junior college though. I did that again at a university and got more low grades, though still did well in some. I did forget to withdraw from a weights class I stopped going to due to lack of transportation, and needlessly got an F instead of a W or drop.

I was a good student more recently when I finally got my Bachelor's, with a 3.6 gpa here.

I think I'm getting nightmares due to anxiety about not accomplishing anything on my to do list the last few years. Simple stuff like updating my address.

As for the military, I was enlisted, got out with injuries, did not want back in, then actually tried getting back in during the great recession of 2009. Fortunately they turned me away. But I still have nightmares about the fact I almost signed another contract and could have been ordered to injure my knees worse.

#35 Sheol

Sheol

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 02 December 2020 - 07:32 PM

You'd think you would have nightmares about joining other branches of the Service! LOL Seriously, I meant what I said to the OP. There is plenty of anxiety floating around for us all. Unusual for it to focus ( ugh, I did not intend that!) on a reflector telescope, but the mind is a monkey. ( Stephen King. )

Clear Skies,

Matt.

#36 stargazer32864

stargazer32864

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 03 December 2020 - 12:23 AM

I think the reason why I'm so nervous is that I decided to line up the mirrors in my scope. I keep checking it and the mirrors are off by a hair! Like...+| but much closer. I'm ready to pull my hair out on deciding on to go ahead and tweak the primary or just let it go. I'm going to a friends house out in the country on Saturday to show them the stars. My friend and her husband are into stargazing but don't have a scope.

#37 BillP

BillP

ISS

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 03 December 2020 - 04:57 PM

Freud is controversial and he worked at a time when there was a limited understanding of how the brain actually worked. 

In any event, in my life, when a conflict spills over into my dreams, I realize I am getting a message.  If I were to dream that I was falling off the ladder of observing with my 22 inch, I would seriously consider parting ways with the scope.  

This is not because I think the dream is somehow telling the future.  Rather it's because the dream is telling me I am concerned enough about falling off the ladder that I should take note. 

I don't know much of anything about Freud, but I do know it is often folly to draw conclusions when one is not trained in the particular field of expertise.  In my non-professional opinion, I do not think that dreams are connected to much of anything, excepting perhaps if one has had some major trauma in their life, as with PTSD.  For me, any conflicts I have in waking life have never ever spilled over into a dream in any way shape or form.

But akin to your point, when I feel fear or anxiety in waking life on an issue, that is the "real" indicator that there is something about the situation that I obviously feel less than equipped to handle. So time to work on the appropriate skills.  Overall, I think emotions we experience in waking life are more important and in need of heed than any imaginative meandering that goes on in dreamland.  On all but the rarest occasions, dreams for me get zero attention.  They are entertaining though grin.gif

Edited by BillP, 03 December 2020 - 04:58 PM.

• Bonco2 likes this

#38 Sheol

Sheol

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 December 2020 - 07:12 PM

Yes, they can be very entertaining. Except when they turn into nightmares. Why one's mind has the wish to terrorize its owner every now and then escapes me. But a pattern of dreams can indicate some trend that is going on in your head without your knowledge. And Lord, isn't there no shortage of things to worry about this year & early next year..

Clear Skies,

Matt.

#39 Creedence

Creedence

Messenger

• Loc: Florida

Posted 03 December 2020 - 08:55 PM

It occurred to me the other day that after my plane crash earlier this year, I’m a lot like a cell phone that’s been dropped in the water.

I’ve been pulled out and dried off, but few things operate as they originally did (a topic for discussion at the next NEAF over many many beers should they ever do one of those again).

So last night, a day after my damaged phone epiphany, I dream that my phone is on the fritz after being dropped in water.

I guess that’s my brain chewing on the damage it’s dealing with. No one said this couldn’t be fun I guess.

#40 jc482p

jc482p

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: northern NJ, USA

Posted 04 December 2020 - 09:10 AM

It occurred to me the other day that after my plane crash earlier this year, I’m a lot like a cell phone that’s been dropped in the water.

"Gentlemen, we can rebuild him.  We have the technology.  Better than he was before."

• stargazer32864 and CowTipton like this

#41 stargazer32864

stargazer32864

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 05 December 2020 - 12:37 AM

"Gentlemen, we can rebuild him.  We have the technology.  Better than he was before."

I loved that show. Lee Majors was a good ole' boy from Kentucky. I never thought the robotics in that show would become the real thing in the future. With the exception of the super strength and running at 60mph. Makes me wonder what does the future hold for astronomy? Smart telescopes, maybe?

~Robin

#42 Sheol

Sheol

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 December 2020 - 02:00 PM

Telescopes that find stuff for people/ How silly! Just like Lee Majors running 60 mph. Oh wait.. Never mind. I had one of those dreams about being back in college in the 1980s. grin.gif

Clear Skies,

Matt.

#43 stargazer32864

stargazer32864

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 05 December 2020 - 03:25 PM

Telescopes that find stuff for people/ How silly! Just like Lee Majors running 60 mph. Oh wait.. Never mind. I had one of those dreams about being back in college in the 1980s. grin.gif

Clear Skies,

Matt.

HAHA!!! I meant scopes that do more than find stuff for people. They do that already, if you line up with a few stars first. I'm talking about fully automatic scopes that do everything but the dishes for you.

~Robin

#44 planet earth

planet earth

Gemini

• ****-
  • Loc: Ontario Canada

Posted 06 December 2020 - 07:47 AM

Most of my scopes are stored in my garage.  Over the past 40 years or so I have dreamed that someone broke into my garage and stole them all.  I have had this dream probably at least 10-12 times.  

Where do you live I may be able to make your dreams come true. grin.gif

• stargazer193857 likes this

#45 vdog

vdog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 06 December 2020 - 10:34 AM

Most of my scopes are stored in my garage.  Over the past 40 years or so I have dreamed that someone broke into my garage and stole them all.  I have had this dream probably at least 10-12 times.

While I haven't dreamed that, I don't leave my TV 76 in the garage.  I don't even like leaving it out in my observing area while I'm inside.  I think this is a sign that I spent too much money on it. lol.gif  I didn't have that problem with the 80mm Meade achromat I used to have.

Of course, I spent more on the 16" dob, but I don't see anyone quietly absconding away with that beast.

#46 stargazer32864

stargazer32864

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 06 December 2020 - 03:10 PM

While I haven't dreamed that, I don't leave my TV 76 in the garage.  I don't even like leaving it out in my observing area while I'm inside.  I think this is a sign that I spent too much money on it. lol.gif  I didn't have that problem with the 80mm Meade achromat I used to have.

Of course, I spent more on the 16" dob, but I don't see anyone quietly absconding away with that beast.

I don't leave my scope outside. I'm afraid someone will steal it. Even though the OTA is very heavy and bulky. I'm going to store it at my daughter's house and get me something smaller, and easier to handle.

#47 vdog

vdog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 06 December 2020 - 08:01 PM

I don't leave my scope outside. I'm afraid someone will steal it. Even though the OTA is very heavy and bulky. I'm going to store it at my daughter's house and get me something smaller, and easier to handle.

You must really love that scope!

Actually, I'm probably just being paranoid; it's not like thieves are just hanging around my yard waiting for me to be careless, but I don't leave anything untended that represents a lot of investment in an easy-to-carry-away package.  That includes my refractor and my eyepiece case. 

Edited by vdog, 06 December 2020 - 08:01 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics