•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ethernet to wifi ?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Maxtrixbass

Maxtrixbass

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Camano Island, WA

Posted 28 November 2020 - 05:30 PM

This may be a really basic question, but the more I look the more uncertain I become.

Can I take run an ethernet cable from an existing modem to a device that will broadcast a second wifi signal?

If so, is there  a not so expensive device option you would recommend?

I don't really care if its slower or "not the best" since my budget is limited.

I've tried the "over the ac lines" and it just doesn't work, but I can pull a cable under the house pretty easily.  I just can't reach the telescopes (2 setups) PCs with the single modem's signal I have. I've tried a wifi antenna on the telescope's PC, but it just fouls up all the other drivers somehow, so had to pull it.

#2 spacemunkee

spacemunkee

Aurora

• Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 28 November 2020 - 05:46 PM

This is what I've done. Main modem is in front of house with ethernet to back room with wifi router there which connects to my  extender in shed that feeds a computer for tv and computer in obs. Works great.

Believe this is the one I have, or about the same.

https://www.asus.com...ing/RT-N300-B1/

And this in the shed with ethernet off of it to computer. Old desktop, no built in wifi..

https://www.amazon.c...129037544&psc=1

Edited by spacemunkee, 28 November 2020 - 05:52 PM.

#3 Couder

Couder

Viking 1

• Loc: Mansfield, Missouri in the Ozarks

Posted 28 November 2020 - 05:49 PM

There are wi-fi extenders. I got one to plug into the furthest outlet from the existing wi-fi, it simply extends the signal. 

#4 Maxtrixbass

Maxtrixbass

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 28 November 2020 - 07:01 PM

There are wi-fi extenders. I got one to plug into the furthest outlet from the existing wi-fi, it simply extends the signal. 

Tried that. No go. They seem to have problems running through different circuits, al least in my house they do.

#5 spacemunkee

spacemunkee

Aurora

• Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 28 November 2020 - 07:45 PM

Tried that. No go. They seem to have problems running through different circuits, al least in my house they do.

Believe he's speaking of what my second link is. Just extends wifi signal, not over power lines. They can be used a couple ways.

#6 descott12

descott12

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 28 November 2020 - 08:14 PM

Can I take run an ethernet cable from an existing modem to a device that will broadcast a second wifi signal?

I think there may be a terminology issue here. An basic internet modem converts the outside signal (cable, dish, fiber, whatever) to an internet signal. The modem is then connected via an ethernet cable to a router which is then connected to your devices. The router may have jacks for ethernet cables and it may also serve up a wifi signal.

So if you have an standard modem then, yes, that is exactly what you would do. If you have a modem that is combined with a  router/wifi, then that is a different situation. I am guessing you are in the second category?

#7 Brent Campbell

Brent Campbell

Viking 1

• Loc: Olympia, WA

Posted 28 November 2020 - 09:06 PM

Try a wireless bridge..  Ethernet to WiFi back to Ethernet. Look for a ubiquity wireless bridge.  There’s an option available from Amazon for 150 bucks.  One thing, the connection won’t be as fast as an native Ethernet. About 150 MB’s or so. 

#8 Maxtrixbass

Maxtrixbass

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 28 November 2020 - 09:45 PM

I think there may be a terminology issue here. An basic internet modem converts the outside signal (cable, dish, fiber, whatever) to an internet signal. The modem is then connected via an ethernet cable to a router which is then connected to your devices. The router may have jacks for ethernet cables and it may also serve up a wifi signal.

So if you have an standard modem then, yes, that is exactly what you would do. If you have a modem that is combined with a  router/wifi, then that is a different situation. I am guessing you are in the second category?

Ah yes, I am probably inaccurate in terminology.

I have a single unit which receives a DSL over a phone line and outputs a wifi signal as well as having several ethernet jacks. So yes, second category.

#9 Xeroid

Xeroid

Vanguard

• Loc: USA

Posted 28 November 2020 - 10:34 PM

IF I understand your requirements correctly, I believe this should work:

- You could run an Ethernet cable from your DSL modem to this TP Link portable router/extender that would give you a WiFi signal at your scopes.

Take a peek at the user guides for the TP Link router/extender to see if one of its operating modes will meet your needs:

https://static.tp-li...US)_QIG_V1.pdf 

https://static.tp-li...UG_REV3.0.0.pdf

• Maxtrixbass likes this

#10 Linwood

Linwood

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ft Myers, Florida, USA

Posted 28 November 2020 - 11:13 PM

I just put in one of these outside so I don't have to run a wire.  These can also be powered over the ethernet if you have a POE (Power over Ethernet) switch, or hooked separately to a power supply like any other router.  

https://www.amazon.c...duct/B072N8ZNR6

They have cloud configuration stuff but you do not have to use it. 

• Maxtrixbass likes this

#11 Maxtrixbass

Maxtrixbass

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 28 November 2020 - 11:33 PM

IF I understand your requirements correctly, I believe this should work:

- You could run an Ethernet cable from your DSL modem to this TP Link portable router/extender that would give you a WiFi signal at your scopes.

Take a peek at the user guides for the TP Link router/extender to see if one of its operating modes will meet your needs:

https://static.tp-li...US)_QIG_V1.pdf 

https://static.tp-li...UG_REV3.0.0.pdf

That looks very promising. I will read through the manual, but first glance looks like it would do the trick. Many thanks!

#12 sbradley07

sbradley07

Messenger

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 29 November 2020 - 07:24 AM

This video is the guide I used to set up what you are asking for: https://www.youtube....list=WL&index=6

I actually do this with powerline adapters, but the video shows doing it with ethernet cable.

• Maxtrixbass likes this

#13 Lucky 777

Lucky 777

Vostok 1

• Loc: Carlisle PA USA

Posted 30 November 2020 - 05:10 PM

I have two of these in my home. Although not using them for any astronomy related applications, they will do what you are looking for.  Check eBay for used ones on the cheap.

https://www.tp-link....uter/tl-wr802n/

Attached Thumbnails

• TP LINK.jpg

Edited by Lucky 777, 30 November 2020 - 05:12 PM.

• Maxtrixbass likes this

#14 skywolf856

skywolf856

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 05 December 2020 - 06:46 PM

I bought one of these.

Brian at Losmandy uses this one with Ethernet specifically.

https://www.amazon.c...03397022&sr=8-4

Check this video by Brain.

https://www.youtube....h?v=_FmvOwSLJbk

#15 JMW

JMW

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 06 December 2020 - 12:37 AM

I use a Mikrotik router with 2.4 and 5 Gig bands plus 5 ethernet ports at the mount. I use the 2.4 band in wireless client mode to connect back to the upstream Wifi. The mount and NUC can connect via Ethernet ports. The 5 gig band serves as a local wifi network at the mount. I can use a phone or tablet at the mount to control stuff via wireless connections. 

MikroTik hAP ac2 Dual-Concurrent 2.4/5GHz Access Point 802.11ac, 5 Gigabit Ethernet Ports

I run the Mikrotik in layer 2 bridging mode with DHCP server turned off. The house router serves up the IP addresses.

#16 Linwood

Linwood

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 08 December 2020 - 11:16 AM

I use a Mikrotik router with 2.4 and 5 Gig bands plus 5 ethernet ports at the mount. I use the 2.4 band in wireless client mode to connect back to the upstream Wifi. The mount and NUC can connect via Ethernet ports. The 5 gig band serves as a local wifi network at the mount. I can use a phone or tablet at the mount to control stuff via wireless connections. 

MikroTik hAP ac2 Dual-Concurrent 2.4/5GHz Access Point 802.11ac, 5 Gigabit Ethernet Ports

I run the Mikrotik in layer 2 bridging mode with DHCP server turned off. The house router serves up the IP addresses.

I just ordered one of these, it looks like it solves my problem.  Just to be clear -- it can provide an independent wifi access point including its own DHCP?

So I could use it at a dark site with no wifi, then when it is in range of my home wifi it could bridge in (with the other band) and route onto my home networks (on separate subnets)?

It looks like it from a brief review of the manual.

#17 sheepofblue

sheepofblue

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 December 2020 - 11:23 AM

Strange as it sounds you could just get another router.  Put it at the end of the ethernet and have it run from there.  Just be sure to change the IP defaults or it will collide with your  existing stuff.

#18 Linwood

Linwood

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 08 December 2020 - 11:37 AM

Strange as it sounds you could just get another router.  Put it at the end of the ethernet and have it run from there.  Just be sure to change the IP defaults or it will collide with your  existing stuff.

Was that reply to mine about the Mikrotik?  It looks like it IS a router?  Confused.

#19 JMW

JMW

Skylab

• -----

Posted 09 December 2020 - 08:43 AM

I just ordered one of these, it looks like it solves my problem.  Just to be clear -- it can provide an independent wifi access point including its own DHCP?

So I could use it at a dark site with no wifi, then when it is in range of my home wifi it could bridge in (with the other band) and route onto my home networks (on separate subnets)?

It looks like it from a brief review of the manual.

The MikroTik allows you to control all the features as you need them. I my case wanted layer 2 bridging on all interfaces, DHCP off (but you can turn it on if needed) and no NAT or routing on the Wireless client uplink port. (or Ethernet WAN port). I configured the Ethernet WAN port to just be another layer2 bridge port so I have 5 wired ports available.

It's your choice if you want to route or route with NAT on the uplink interface. If you are routing you probably would turn on the DHCP server. I am bridging all all interfaces and let the upstream router serve up DHCP.

If I go to a remote location it is with my travel trailer which is running WifiRanger so I would still leave DHCP off at the mount. I would start my imaging session and monitor it from inside the trailer so my laptop screen wouldn't bother anyone outside.

I started with the simple 1 ethernet wifi extender but later I wanted more Ethernet ports at the mount and more control of the network configuration. I use ports for my NUC or ASIAir Pro, AP900 CP4, Raspberry Pi 4 and video camera to monitor mount movement.

Edited by JMW, 09 December 2020 - 08:53 AM.

#20 Linwood

Linwood

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 09 December 2020 - 12:24 PM

If I go to a remote location it is with my travel trailer which is running WifiRanger so I would still leave DHCP off at the mount. I would start my imaging session and monitor it from inside the trailer so my laptop screen wouldn't bother anyone outside.

Thank you.  It comes in a day or two, so hopefully will work.

When I travel (which i have yet to do) I expect to have no network other than what's on the mount, so need my phone or laptop to be able to connect to the NUC on the mount.  When I home, I want to be inside connected by wifi.  I really want all this to work without having to remember to make any settings changes (since it will be a pain to do so if I forget and end up off site).

#21 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Skylab

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 10 December 2020 - 02:09 AM

I tried and failed with a variety of solutions in the UK and ultimately discovered my house has different unconnected ring-main power circuits, so extenders that send the data signal through the earth wire of my AC power supply don't work to my outhouse building containing my 'observatory' ( converted garage). Adding to the frustration, my well constructed solid brick house is internally insulated with plasterboard (gyproc) lined with reflective metal foil so it is a bit like a Faraday cage. Regular WiFi extenders struggle with this barrier.

I then purchased the latest BT WholeHome MESH disks. One connects directly to my router creating a new 802.11ac 5 Ghz network.. I then installed two other discs to form a wireless 'mesh' (grid) to reach my outbuilding and embrace garden and scope location. Even so, to get a signal rated "excellent" I had to locate these in a L shaped pathway to get round some obstructions. If I put them in a straight line shortest distance the obstructions are too great. The disc in my observatory is so sensitive to this, if I move it merely 6 inches the signal drops from "excellent"  to "poor".  Rest assured it is screwed down at a height where it is secure from knocks. 

I work (part time) in professional cricket and there we use point to point WiFi to transfer broadcast video data (like the Ubiquity units described in a on earlier post". These work great up to a kilometre. But need a clear line of sight. A car parking between the transmitter and receiver or even a group of humans standing in the path will block the signal. Humans are 60% water, so not a good conductor of data. 

In summary, don't assume any solution will work out if the box. In some situations you  probably have to tease out the best performance by trial and error regarding location, and straight line connectivity might not be the most effective even though it is the shortest distance between devices. 

#22 JMW

JMW

Skylab

• -----

Posted 10 December 2020 - 03:42 PM

I found a major improvement after installed 3 outdoor mounted WIFI access points to cover my observatory, front porch and yard and side yard where I park my travel trailer. I have two inside my house also. They are all managed via a Ubiquiti Unifi controller.

My old system used indoor access points to try to reach the observatory and other locations in the yard. The performance from the indoor units was very weak.

I have a 3rd acre of property and I have great WIFI everywhere indoor or out. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics