•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How are Epsilons for visual?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 25585

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: In a valley, in the UK. Dark end of the street.

Posted 28 November 2020 - 07:59 PM

How good or bad are Takahashi Epsilons for visual use?

Do they need a Paracorr 2, or is the corrector lens OK? For collimating, is the Tak device sufficient?

Anything else?

#2 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 28 November 2020 - 11:13 PM

Phenomenal with Night Vision!

The corrector is perfect. Large flat field and stars pinpointy to the edge.

The biggest limitation on the Epsilon is the focuser - 1.25" format. For NV, I used the Tak Wide T to Canon adapter, then a Canon to C-mount adapter. The NV eyepiece is then used prime focus.

For conventional eyepieces, you would either want to replace the focuser entirely, or get the new Baader 2" ClickLock collet with male 54mm threads. That would attach directly to the corrector threads. I believe those have safety stops, but you would want to verify that. If it is not present, careful care and testing would be in order to see where your eyepieces bottom out to avoid striking the corrector.

As to collimation, I really was not impressed with the Tak tools. Regular Newtonian passive tools work. I also used a thin beam laser and the Texas Nautical secondary alignment tool. Well worth the $80!

• 25585 likes this

#3 gatorengineer

gatorengineer

Gemini

• Loc: Hellertown, PA

Posted 29 November 2020 - 06:56 PM

I wanted a 180  for a long time,  Posted here and didnt get lucky.  My main use as with jeff for Night vision.  What I ended up doing instead was getting an ASA 0.73x , and a $300 imaging newt.  Yes the ASA corrector works well so far with Eyepieces, still testing but results so far are very promising.....

• 25585 likes this

#4 Don H

Don H

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Near Tucson, AZ

Posted 02 December 2020 - 03:02 PM

I think the older ones actually used 0.965 eyepieces...

• 25585 likes this

#5 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 05 December 2020 - 06:06 AM

All the Epsilons I've seen have a massive focuser, that can easily accommodate a 2" eyepiece (via adapters, obviously).

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

• 25585 likes this

#6 Spikey131

Spikey131

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 December 2020 - 08:25 AM

It produces a 44mm circle for imaging, which is plenty for 2” eyepieces.  

There could be problems reaching focus, however.

It is designed to be an astrograph, so I don’t think many would buy it for visual only, especially given the cost.

• 25585 likes this

#7 Don H

Don H

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Near Tucson, AZ

Posted 05 December 2020 - 02:53 PM

A good friend of mine had a lot of astro equipment back in the 1980s. I was at his house and he showed me his new Epsilon 200. We both commented on the fact that for all the money he spent for it, that it used 0.965 eyepieces. It may have had adapters for large sizes, but it came out of the box set up for the small eps. Here is an excerpt of a an E-200 ad for sale some time back...

"It is an Epsilon 200, a 200 mm aperture (8”) f/4 Newtonian system consisting of a hyperbolic primary mirror with 63 mm secondary, and 4 element corrector within the rack-and-pinion focuser giving a highly corrected, flat-field 56 mm image circle. This image circle is larger than other comparable astrographs and the backfocus is greater than the Epsilon 180. Besides a great astrograph with 800 mm focal length for better image scale than the Epsilon 180, it is an incredible 8” f/4 visual telescope with pinpoint stars to the edge of the field, even with a 20 mm Nagler. The OTA includes the Tak 7x50 finder, with 0.965 eyepiece holder and adapter ring and wide-mount camera adapter for use with 35mm cameras..."

The 200 he had was designed for 35mm film, as digital cameras were not commercially available yet. It came with the Tak eq mount, which was quite substantial. Ironically, I am unsure as to whether he ever took a picture with it or not...

Seeing as the seller above mentions "pinpoint stars to the edge" with a 20mm Nagler, it must have had some adapters for 2" eps, and I would imagine 1.25" too.

Of course, there have been many design changes since then, and I would think visual use has been addressed nicely by Takahashi considering their fine reputation.

Edited by Don H, 05 December 2020 - 02:54 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics