•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

2020 Martian Dust Storm: Hellas Encounter in RRGB

dslr Maksutov planet astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 28 November 2020 - 08:22 PM

G'day all,

Unless you've been living under a rock for the last month, you've probably seen the progression of the 2020 Martian dust storm. Starting on Day 6 of the storm (17 Nov), a long dust train gained momentum down Sinus Sabaeus, and on Day 9 (20 Nov) another dust train barrelled east across Noachis Terra. On Day 10 (21 Nov) they collided over Hellas Basin, and over a couple of days coalesced into a crescent-shaped cloud. The cloud grew tentacular arms as it slowly dispersed eastward over the next week.

As Mars receded from Earth during the storm, being aperture-challenged (at 7-in) made tracking the details in the cloud progressively more difficult, especially when imaging through the summer clouds over the Red Centre. However, the red channel off Mars has a massive amount of SNR—so I decided to try enhancement with the red channel as a luminosity layer over the RGB. In spite of the red channel having the largest Airy disk, I was able to pull out much better detail on the edges of the storm compared to the RGB; these correlated well with the detail from larger apertures.

Here's a comparison of the RGB vs. the RRGB over the last 5 days of the Hellas Encounter:

apngb-animated.png

Skywatcher Mak 180, Fujiyama 12.5mm ortho, Canon 600D/T3i

So I made a fun little sequence sheet of the event:

(Click for full size.)

post-273658-0-14857700-1606622928.jpg

Cheers,

BQ

Edited by BQ Octantis, 29 November 2020 - 08:33 AM.

• Sunspot, Magellanico, JMP and 12 others like this

#2 Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Carterton, New Zealand

Posted 28 November 2020 - 11:15 PM

Excellent work BQ.
Paul

#3 Borodog

Borodog

Apollo

• -----

Posted 29 November 2020 - 10:52 AM

Hi BQ. How are you calculating the Airy pattern and are you using it for deconvolution? If so, in what software?

• JMP likes this

#4 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 30 November 2020 - 04:31 AM

Hi Borodog,

I just use the formula from basic physics for the Airy disk radius from a circular aperture of size D at wavelength λ:

r = 1.22 × λ / D

I use the public domain D65 color image on Wikipedia and scale it to a 180mm aperture:

(Click for full size.)

Airy_disk_180mm.jpg

My spatial sample rate (pixels/arcsec) is measured directly from the image, and I just scale the D65 Airy disk image to the correct size for the final image scale.

BQ

Edited by BQ Octantis, 30 November 2020 - 07:38 AM.

• JMP and Kiwi Paul like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dslr, Maksutov, planet, astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics