•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Well, that's a trick I'll use again: A soupcon of RGB for my NB

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fewayne

fewayne

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Madison, WI, USA

Posted 29 November 2020 - 01:18 AM

I'm working on the Pac-Man Nebula in Ha and OIII, and the first night's data taught me a little more about using Astro Pixel Processor's Combine RGB tool. Well, the data and Sara Wager taught me, at least. Getting the color I wanted in the nebula wrought all manner of havoc upon the stars. And to be fair, the best I could have hoped for from bicolor narrowband data would be...white dots.

But intrigued by a couple of by-the-way comments from Wager and from AstroStace, on a whim I tossed 10x30" each RGB onto the front end of tonight's imaging. Figured the moon was up and I'm imaging from my Bortle 8 back yard anyway, so I wasn't going to try too hard.

I had to work the light-pollution/gradient removal tool pretty hard to get there, but I wound up with some nice, quite colorful stars, calibrated along the H-R line so the colors will be reasonably accurate. Instead of doing starnet++ star removal and then subtracting that from the original to get a stars layer to be blended in later, I can just work with the starless image and combine it with the color-stars one at the end.

There's a bunch of noise in the background, of course, but I don't even care -- since all I want from this layer are the stars, I can clip the background right to black and let the nice 7.5 hours of narrowband data supply it.

Of course this is a very well-known technique, but I had no idea that one could get so much out of so little integration time and effort.

• sgtusmc likes this

#2 imtl

imtl

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: On earth

Posted 29 November 2020 - 01:31 AM

What I did just the other day. I grabbed 20 minutes on each RGB (probably too much for this). RGB combine. PCC. and stretched. I then saturated the RGB image a lot.

After finishing up my NB image, I got a star mask from it using starnet++. Convolved it with 1.2pixel std and then put that as a mask on the NB image, and dumped the RGB stars on to that. Just the tone map. I kept the NB stars resolution since they are always tighter than RGB.

Worked very well for me.

#3 fewayne

fewayne

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Madison, WI, USA

Posted 30 November 2020 - 11:55 AM

Got it done. At least for now. I may go back and redo it without all the starnet artifacts, but I managed to Healing-Brush away the most egregious ones. Looks as if someone fired a 12-gauge loaded with rock salt at the nebula if you pixel-peep.

https://www.astrobin.com/wtceos

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics