•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Proper motion of Barnard's Star

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Skylab

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Denver, Colorado, US

Posted 29 November 2020 - 01:45 AM

Proper motion of Barnard's Star. 10" and 18" Newtonian telescopes both F/4.5. Film (1987-1988) and CCD images (2003-2011), stacked show motion against the background  stars. I had an Image I took last year on this Forum and didn't find it. Another image of Barnard's Star from 2003 added. This was ignored due to a software glitch after an update to CCD Soft back then. Something to do with wrong pedestals and damaged darks. I had to use the last installment of CCD Soft to fix this. I had 4 second exposures of this object which was fine. The 4 second dark was damaged and had an odd offset. The latter 5 second dark was subtracted manually to the 4 second exposures using CCD soft. PI and Maxim wouldn't touch either even though some values were changed in the dark frame. Pixel math in both had an unsatisfactory result. I got a clean output with CCD Soft. 

https://flic.kr/p/2kbAuwG

Joe

• dswtan, polare70, RazvanUnderStars and 2 others like this

#2 Coconuts

Coconuts

Viking 1

Posted 29 November 2020 - 07:16 AM

Remarkable imaging patience (and cool science history)!

Edited by Coconuts, 29 November 2020 - 07:17 AM.

#3 hobbyknipser

hobbyknipser

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Germany Orange Zone

Posted 29 November 2020 - 07:50 AM

Hi, Joe,

fine result!

regarding copyrights by Rick Johnson: would you be allowed to put some more data to your image?

https://images.mantr..._STAR/index.htm

cheers

Andreas

Edited by hobbyknipser, 29 November 2020 - 07:54 AM.

#4 lucam

lucam

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate NY, USA

Posted 29 November 2020 - 08:25 AM

That's a great visualization and historical astronomy project. Thank you, Joe!

Luca

#5 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Skylab

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Denver, Colorado, US

Posted 29 November 2020 - 02:47 PM

Hi, Joe,

fine result!

regarding copyrights by Rick Johnson: would you be allowed to put some more data to your image?

https://images.mantr..._STAR/index.htm

cheers

Andreas

I would like to get some clear nights from Mar-Oct to get at least one day a month to pick up the parallax wobble. Others have done so. I got the simple Dr. Brian May wave front version with the New Horizons parallax from Wolf 359! 

Joe

#6 ryanha

ryanha

Viking 1

Posted 29 November 2020 - 03:36 PM

Well that is freaking cool.  I had to look up what this was, so for anyone else borderline too lazy to do that here is a link: link.

And here is a summary:

Its is 6 light years away and moving relative to us so its motion can (barely) be captured.  It moves at 103  arcsec/year so will travel a moon's width every 174 years.

Very cool image!  Thank you for sharing!

--Ryan

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics