•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mars dust storm over 6 days.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Vega700

Vega700

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2020 - 02:37 AM

I was fortunate to have 6 days of good seeing out of 7 during the start of the dust storm at Vallis Marineris on the western side, and see it spread round to the Hellas basin. I deliberately processed the colour balance to show the surface of Mars beneath the dust. Mars is shrinking by the day and getting harder to capture the details.The southern polar ice cap must be at its minimum now. Thanks for looking Luke.

Attached Thumbnails

• dust7.jpg

• cometcatcher, Sunspot, otocycle and 34 others like this

#2 Tulloch

Tulloch

Vanguard

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 29 November 2020 - 03:05 AM

Excellent series of captures here, really shows the progress of the dust storm

#3 Vega700

Vega700

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2020 - 03:24 AM

Excellent series of captures here, really shows the progress of the dust storm

Thank you Andrew. Yes been lucky with the seeing over in the West.

#4 Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Carterton, New Zealand

Posted 29 November 2020 - 04:39 AM

Wonderful images and what a great palette scheme. Very well done.
Cheers Paul

#5 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Canada

Posted 29 November 2020 - 05:22 AM

Incredible images of this event!!

#6 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Skylab

• Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 29 November 2020 - 06:04 AM

Bloody ripper images, mate!

I've said it several times before…if NASA gets a hold of these, they'll deorbit the Hubble! laugh.gif

BQ

#7 Borodog

Borodog

Apollo

• -----

Posted 29 November 2020 - 09:03 AM

Amazing series of shots. Well done!

#8 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: South Central Florida

Posted 29 November 2020 - 09:20 AM

This planet encircling dust storm came right on time as we have seen many times in the past.   In my 2020 Mars apparition article it is noted:  https://dustymars.ne...//2020_MARS.htm

DUST STORMS

Observers should be aware that during the next apparition of Mars in 2020 a major dust storm may occur to block our view of the clouds and surface of the Red Planet. While it is nearly impossible to predict these events our studies show that the Martian dusty season should begin on or about March 13, 2020 (165° Ls) through February 07,2021 (360° Ls) with the highest probability around the second week in August (255° Ls) and again peaking November 15 (315° Ls). Massive, planet-encircling storms usually occur in the southern hemisphere summer and usually in sensitive areas for the development of dust storms are in northwest Hellas.

Do not be surprised if another early dust storm occurs on or about April 17, 2020 (184 Ls). Observers should be alert for dust clouds in the northeast Hellas Basin, the Serpentis-Noachis region, and the Solis Lacus region. For more detailed information on Martian dust storms on this web site.

More dust storm fun and frolic:  https://dustymars.ne...ips_of_Mars.htm

https://dustymars.ne...etTrendDust.htm

Edited by Jeff B1, 29 November 2020 - 09:26 AM.

• Kokatha man, kbev, Vega700 and 2 others like this

#9 JMP

JMP

Apollo

Posted 29 November 2020 - 11:26 AM

Beautiful captures and excellent processing. Wonderful results!!

#10 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 29 November 2020 - 06:05 PM

Very, very nice capture chronicle of some of the more active aspects of the storms Luke - you've been very lucky over there lately, congratulations! :) waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

#11 Vega700

Vega700

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2020 - 11:00 PM

Wonderful images and what a great palette scheme. Very well done.
Cheers Paul

Thanks Paul. Yes the balance of colour makes huge difference.smile.gif

Incredible images of this event!!

Thanks for the complement.

#12 Vega700

Vega700

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2020 - 11:01 PM

Bloody ripper images, mate!

I've said it several times before…if NASA gets a hold of these, they'll deorbit the Hubble! laugh.gif

BQ

BQ Thanks again. You have great humour. lol.gif lol.gif

#13 Vega700

Vega700

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2020 - 11:04 PM

This planet encircling dust storm came right on time as we have seen many times in the past.   In my 2020 Mars apparition article it is noted:  https://dustymars.ne...//2020_MARS.htm

<...snip...>

Thanks for the article! Very detailed and interesting indeed.

#14 Vega700

Vega700

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2020 - 11:05 PM

Beautiful captures and excellent processing. Wonderful results!!

Thank you! Processing takes quite a bit of time, like painting a picture.

#15 Vega700

Vega700

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2020 - 11:09 PM

Very, very nice capture chronicle of some of the more active aspects of the storms Luke - you've been very lucky over there lately, congratulations! smile.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

Thank you Darryl.! I hope Pat comes out of hospital and recovers soon. I fully understand the anxiety of waiting for a loved one at hospital. Look forward to seeing more of your images.smile.gif smile.gif waytogo.gif

#16 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

Posted 30 November 2020 - 02:02 AM

Thank you Luke - I know you can empathise, I'm familiar with your own family situation. We'll know in the next couple of days when Pat will go in for the op - they meet every Tuesday to decide their schedule & when we met the surgeon last Wednesday he said it would be before Xmas...naturally we're hoping Xmas will be extra special for us this year! I'll also take that in place of any 71st birthday present for me this Wednesday! :) 

• R Botero and Lacaille like this

#17 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: South Central Florida

Posted 30 November 2020 - 06:01 AM

You know what they say about after the dust settles?   BARSOOM!   lol.gif

• Vega700 likes this

#18 Vega700

Vega700

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 November 2020 - 10:32 AM

Thank you Luke - I know you can empathise, I'm familiar with your own family situation. We'll know in the next couple of days when Pat will go in for the op - they meet every Tuesday to decide their schedule & when we met the surgeon last Wednesday he said it would be before Xmas...naturally we're hoping Xmas will be extra special for us this year! I'll also take that in place of any 71st birthday present for me this Wednesday! smile.gif

Yes Darryl. I really hope it all works out smoothly for you. I am sure she is in good hands. At 71 you are still young. The main thing is your eyesight in this hobby. One thing which I highly recommend is to replace your existing monitor with one of these new Asus eyesight care monitors, they are great. No more tired eyes and headaches!smile.gif

#19 kbev

kbev

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Far, far east Mesa

Posted 30 November 2020 - 06:42 PM

Really nice series of captures, I love how the dust helps delineate Valles Marineris! 

• Vega700 likes this

#20 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

Posted 14 December 2020 - 09:41 PM

Hi Jemmo - knowing Luke a bit I'm sure he doesn't mind, but it is best to start your own thread for your own images, that way you will get specific responses/answers to your request...whereas here it is less likely to! wink.gif

Those dark patches are the albedo markings on Mars, the "landscape" so to speak where darker (rocky) material is exposed as opposed to the lighter sand & dust everywhere on Mars: this region (Cimmeria to Daedalus etc) does look like there is dust there in your image - I refer to those aspects of your image where a "red blush" appears more pronounced - but as you progress you will learn a bit more about processing - & "tips" etc abound on this forum, but again are better answered if you start your own thread. smile.gif

#21 Jemmo

Jemmo

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 15 December 2020 - 02:24 AM

Hi Jemmo - knowing Luke a bit I'm sure he doesn't mind, but it is best to start your own thread for your own images, that way you will get specific responses/answers to your request...whereas here it is less likely to! wink.gif

Those dark patches are the albedo markings on Mars, the "landscape" so to speak where darker (rocky) material is exposed as opposed to the lighter sand & dust everywhere on Mars: this region (Cimmeria to Daedalus etc) does look like there is dust there in your image - I refer to those aspects of your image where a "red blush" appears more pronounced - but as you progress you will learn a bit more about processing - & "tips" etc abound on this forum, but again are better answered if you start your own thread. smile.gif

Apologies. I’m new to this forum. Actually I’ve never been in a forum, thank you for the tip and the great info on mars. Cheers. Post removed ☺️

Edited by Jemmo, 15 December 2020 - 03:14 AM.

• Vega700 likes this

#22 Vega700

Vega700

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 December 2020 - 09:04 AM

Apologies. I’m new to this forum. Actually I’ve never been in a forum, thank you for the tip and the great info on mars. Cheers. Post removed ☺️

Hallo Jemmo,

Sorry didn't have time to reply to your post. Darryl explained it very nicely. Also I think I saw you have an 8 inch scope, so to get more details on such a small planet also you would need a few more inches. Nevertheless from what I saw you did very well and only through experimenting and reading the posts here, gradually we can improve our images.smile.gif waytogo.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics