•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Budget Camera for General Astrophotography

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DrCdiff

DrCdiff

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2020 - 03:50 AM

Hi,

I am new to astrophotography. Until now I have only been using a Raspberry Pi camera and a self build equatorial mount. Now I would like to go a step further. I would like to keep my butget as small as possible and see how this hobby evolves. As a next step I woud like to buy a used DSLR from Canon. I think Canon is the right choice as I would like to use open software (on a Raspberry Pi) to controll the camera and my self build mount. In addition vintage lanses sound promising to me as they are relatively cheap and nearly all of them (except old canon lenses) are compatible using adapters.

I was adviced to keep my expenses as low as possible in this first (second?) step to have more more money later for real equipment. I heard that old canons are really noisy. I there a point in time where this changed or was it a gradual decrese? I am thinking about a 4 digit camera (like 1200D) or a 3 digit camera (like 700D) with about 18 MP. Is there a great difference beween cameras of the same line and the same pixel count? I have found assertions in some forums that some of these cameras have the same sensor. E. g. is a 700D (T5i) really better for my application than a 55D (T2i)?

• retroman2 likes this

#2 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• ***--
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Voorhees, NJ

Posted 29 November 2020 - 06:02 AM

Generally, newer cameras are incrementally better than older ones.

Older Canons have more noise. Sometimes similar sensors are used, it depends on the specific model.

A lot will depend on what you want to shoot, and what you want to shoot it with, and what your actual budget is, none of which you have told us, so... it depends.

You can get a used 550D for $90 at KEH.

Jerry

Edited by Jerry Lodriguss, 29 November 2020 - 06:03 AM.

#3 DrCdiff

DrCdiff

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2020 - 07:43 AM

My butget is about 250 € for the camera. Lower would be great.

I am living in Germany so shipping from the US is not an option.

Lenses: Probably 50, 135 and 200 mm

Targets: Bigger DSOs, Comets, ...

Edited by DrCdiff, 29 November 2020 - 07:45 AM.

#4 Sandy Swede

Sandy Swede

Viking 1

• Loc: Delaware beaches

Posted 29 November 2020 - 08:03 AM

You can find a modded Canon 3Ti (EOS 600D  = EOS Rebel T3i = EOS Kiss X5) here on CN for approx 250 Euro ($300 USD) if you are patient.  As Jerry pointed out, probably a bit long in the tooth compared to current technology, but still an AP workhouse with wide use within the community.  I understand that you would have to pay extra for shipping to Germany, but do not know if you also have to pay any type of customs duty or VAT.  There must be a modded 600D near you that you could pry loose from a kindly fellow astronomer.  Yes, easy for me to say und nein schadenfreude here.

#5 the Elf

the Elf

Gemini

• Loc: Germany

Posted 29 November 2020 - 02:54 PM

Here is a used 600D in Germany:

https://www.ebay-kle...39269-245-18851

If you want to control it via some sort of computer you can go for a model without the articulated screen like 1100D, 1200D

https://www.rebuy.de...1100d-body-grau

Make sure you get a second battery. Battery life is 3-4 hours only. If you have DC nearby you can also get a DC adapter.

Add your location to your profile. It helps people to point to shops in your country.

#6 bignerdguy

bignerdguy

Viking 1

• Loc: Lewisville, TX

Posted 29 November 2020 - 10:17 PM

Look for a Canon 60D as they are pricing right around that price range right now.  I own one and yeah they are a bit noisy but you can reduce or eliminate the noise by taking a LOT of Light frames and combining them with a reasonable amount of Dark and Bias frames.  Its amazing what you can then get in processing an image. I modded mine to be full spectrum and it really pops the details on some of the darker nebulas.  I also live in heavily light polluted skies but still get great images from my upper deck with the proper light pollution filters. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics