•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

12" S/C? 14" S/C? Newtonian?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 alvarete

alvarete

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 29 November 2020 - 01:03 PM

Hi all. I own one 9×9 feet permanent observatory. Middle seeing and darkness at it. I am considering to ad one bigger scope to my actual Tak FS128/Vixen Atlux equatorial mount combo. So I am thinking about adding one 12" (11) or 14" S/C telescope for DS overall. Perhaps my actual mount could support one of these big scopes for visual purposes. As I have no idea of SC beyond my little Meade ETX90, is this a good idea or should I consider a 12-14" dobsonian instead?
All opinions are wellcome!
Txs

#2 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 29 November 2020 - 01:13 PM

A dob would be a tight fit in a 9x9. For a permanent installation a 14” would be fantastic (on a suitable mount). A 12” makes a wonderful portable system.

Food for thought.

#3 orlyandico

orlyandico

Cosmos

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 29 November 2020 - 01:14 PM

It depends on your needs. a newtonian is a simpler design than an SC and you can get a very high quality one (there are lots of premium mirror manufacturers) but SCT's are mass produced, except for the rare-as-hen's-teeth Takahashi TSC225. Many SCT's are of very high quality, no doubt, but you'd still need to get a really good one.

The problem with the newtonian is that it is long and heavy and the eyepiece is at an inconvenient location when mounted on the atlux.

An alternative may be to make a DK cassegrain (e.g. with Robert Royce optics) or buy a DK cass (Takahashi Mewlon). These are generally considered to be optically better than most SCT's and also have the eyepiece at the back which is more convenient like an SCT. The downside is that the Mewlon 300 is very expensive.

Finally, newtonians are generally fast, e.g. f/3 to f/5.  So you can get a wide field with them, which an SCT or DK won't give you.

• Bob4BVM likes this

#4 alvarete

alvarete

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 07 December 2020 - 02:19 PM

Jgraham orlyandico many thanks for your answers. Perhaps I could then consider one SC 11" or 12" and my Tak Fs128 over my Vixen Atlux mount. Not at the same time of course. There are a lot of models out there. Please can you concern me any S/C 11" or 12" for observational only purposes? Say me its weight too if you know it
Thanks

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics