•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

StarGuider Pro tracking error

mount equipment
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 requiemjp

requiemjp

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2020 - 01:31 PM

I started astrophotography and got the iOptron StarGuider Pro a couple of months ago. I have noticed regular tracking errors in my photos. Recently, I started auto-guiding with PHD2. The tracking graph confirms my observation.

Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 9.25.22 PM.png

Even with good balancing and polar alignment, I got huge track error spikes in about every 9 minutes. This happens regularly regardless of the payloads on the mount. PHD2 even complaint that the mount won't respond to adjustment during the error spikes. Is this normal? How can I fix this issue? Did I get a defective unit?
Please advise. Thank you!

#2 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 29 November 2020 - 02:25 PM

I don't know the period of the worm-cycle but it looks like you have something going on with the worm.  If its still under warranty I would contact iOptron and make arrangements to send it back.

#3 requiemjp

requiemjp

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 November 2020 - 05:59 PM

I don't know the period of the worm-cycle but it looks like you have something going on with the worm.  If its still under warranty I would contact iOptron and make arrangements to send it back.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I contacted iOptron and they instructed me to check the worm as well.

It turns out the worm was damaged out of box. Sending it back for repair.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mount, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics