•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cannot see anything with celestron nexstar 8se

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Leebam

Leebam

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 November 2020 - 08:17 AM

I just bought the celestron nexstar 8se and cannot see any thing. In the day it's a white blur and at night it's just black. Please can someone help me.

#2 kathyastro

kathyastro

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 30 November 2020 - 08:29 AM

Have you found the focus knob?  It sounds like it is just out of focus.  The focuser takes about 60 turns of the knob from one end to the other, so be patient.  Don't turn the knob too fast, or you'll zip right through the focus position without noticing it.  Try it in the daytime, focusing on a distant object. 

• lee14 and sevenofnine like this

#3 SloMoe

SloMoe

Soyuz

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 30 November 2020 - 08:30 AM

Good morning, are you using the star diagonal, the SCT telescopes have a very long focus travel, 

Here's what I suggest, install the diagonal and the 25mm eyepiece that came with the scope, now point the scope at a target as far from you as possible, start turning the focus knob slowly until it stops, if you didn't reach focus then slowly turn the focus knob the other direction until you reach focus.

The SCT focus for what it is, what it's doing is slowly moving the primary mirror back & forth in the scope, it has a very long path and if you get in too much of a hurry trying to focus by turning the knob quickly you could go right past focus, in about one turn of the knob can take it from not focused to focus and then to not focused again.

• sevenofnine likes this

#4 PNW

PNW

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Lummi Island, WA

Posted 30 November 2020 - 11:08 AM

I would say 1/8 turn can take you in and out of focus. They're touchy.

Edited by PNW, 30 November 2020 - 11:08 AM.

• sevenofnine likes this

#5 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 November 2020 - 10:10 PM

Leebam,

Welcome to Cloudy Nights.

To reinforce what the others have said: install your diagonal and 25mm eye piece during the day.  Point your scope at something fixed, like the top of a building, as far away as possible (miles away even) and then turn your mount's motors off.  That way, as you turn your focusing knob all the way clockwise, and then if necessary all the way counter-clockwise, your "target" won't move.  

Also, make sure your target is pretty large.  Since you don't see any image at all right now, you don't know if your scope is actually pointing at anything.

Patience and trial and error will get you there.  Good luck.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics