•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Using H-Alpha and OIII filters?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 By-tor

By-tor

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Crystal Coast of NC.

Posted 30 November 2020 - 08:21 AM

I use a OSC ASI533 camera and only own one filter a 12nm H-Alpha, but ordered a filter wheel so I don't have to keep shutting down and removing the filter to image something that doesn't require the H-Alpha and can be changed from the comfort of my house as it is all control through wifi now (I know lazy, but hey).

I have been thinking about purchasing an Optolong L-Enhance or L-Extreme filter, but since I already own an H-Alpha filter can I add a OIII filter to the wheel and take half the images with one and half with the other and then stack them to get the same effect?

I don't know, but will this work?

Thank you

Edited by By-tor, 30 November 2020 - 08:29 AM.

#2 DRK73

DRK73

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland, United States

Posted 30 November 2020 - 08:32 AM

Honestly, if you're thinking about getting a wheel and separate H-a and OIII filters, you might be better served just going full monochrome. I mean - I do now use a 533 and an L-extreme and I accept the limitations of this setup and knew them full well before going in - and am happy with the choice I made (going OSC rather than getting all the different filters and equip for my SBIG). 

I *don't* think it's a bad idea to use a wheel if, like you said, you want to change out the H-a and put in a broadband filter or something since doing so would help limit dust getting into the system and I might do the same, myself for my L-extreme and L-pro. I've also got an H-a filter that I'm not currently using and I guess I could drop it in there, too...

Have you tried imaging in just H-a with your 533? It might produce pretty clean images, but that's because in emission nebula the H-a signal is going to be really strong (relatively speaking). The OIII signal on the other hand is usually not, so when you're limiting your efficiency using a OSC and only grabbing blue/green light, I'd think the images would be really noisy compared to imaging OIII using a monochrome camera (?) I haven't tried this, though...

In the past I have done HOO stuff with monochrome CCD with H-a and OIII filters, and you usually have to get considerably more exposure time in the OIII channels and I just imagine this would be a LOT harder to do with a OSC... 

• By-tor likes this

#3 By-tor

By-tor

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 30 November 2020 - 08:42 AM

Yes I have been imaging with the H-Alpha filter and it does seem to work well...

Here are a couple of images I have taken using it.  I'm very new to this and hope to get better as I get along in the hobby.

Thank you

Elephant Trunk Nebula_.JPG

#4 By-tor

By-tor

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 30 November 2020 - 08:43 AM

Rosette Nebula 2.JPG

#5 Huangdi

Huangdi

Viking 1

Posted 30 November 2020 - 09:15 AM

It's going to work perfectly fine. But if you used an L-Extreme, you'd save 50% time...
  • DRK73 and By-tor like this

#6 By-tor

By-tor

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 30 November 2020 - 09:17 AM

It's going to work perfectly fine. But if you used an L-Extreme, you'd save 50% time...

Very true....  ty

Are there objects you would only use OIII on?

Edited by By-tor, 30 November 2020 - 09:18 AM.

#7 DRK73

DRK73

Viking 1

Posted 30 November 2020 - 10:20 AM

Very true....  ty

Are there objects you would only use OIII on?

The squid smile.gif

Also - planetary nebula I think tend to have lots of OIII

Edited by DRK73, 30 November 2020 - 10:22 AM.

• By-tor likes this

#8 By-tor

By-tor

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 30 November 2020 - 10:23 AM

The Pleiades also....

#9 DRK73

DRK73

Viking 1

Posted 30 November 2020 - 10:56 AM

The Pleiades are reflection nebula, I wouldn't expect any OIII or H-alpha.

Edited by DRK73, 30 November 2020 - 10:56 AM.

• By-tor likes this

#10 Huangdi

Huangdi

Viking 1

Posted 30 November 2020 - 11:04 AM

The squid smile.gif

Also - planetary nebula I think tend to have lots of OIII

Even though PNs might have lots of Oiii, there almost always is Ha present.

I can't think of a single target where Oiii only would be better than capturing both.
  • DRK73 and By-tor like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics