•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

used & full-frame DLSR camera (for minimal imaging travel setup) ?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gianluca

gianluca

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 30 November 2020 - 09:16 AM

Hello,

could you help me in choosing a used full frame DSLR that I could use for less than "white cleanroom" (and maybe also a bit rough) situations ?

I stick to mono CCD: I still use "old" SBIG ST8 and 10 on SCTs, and ST 8300 on shorter focal lenght otas.

I am collecting specs, tests and reviews: I am up-to-date about advancements in optoelectronics, but I have been far from DSLR photography for years and I know little of commercial items, and surely suggestions from actual astro imagers would be of great help.

I would a full frame camera that should match well my short flat field refractor.

Together with a lightweight mount this set would be a compact and lightweight one, ready for observing and for imaging while traveling (without the need for a PC and needing a minimum in power consumption terms).

The ota and the camera could stay in a backpack, so I could bring such a small, but complete, set also when travelling by motorcycle.

More: I would use the camera for ordinary photography, during public outreach activities and also as a live-view camera when I am tinkering in my small optical lab.

I consider this camera as a good compromise for observing and imaging with a minimal setup in -maybe- rough conditions, in places and at times in which, otherwise, I would just stay looking the sky by naked eye (and grumbling): it happened just too many times...

For this my idea is to get a used unit (paying around 700- 1000), renouncing to the CCD prerogatives, but at least trying to make the most of the large fullframe sensor for wide field imaging under dark(er) skies.

Resuming and briefly:

I like new compact and light mirrorless cameras, but (for the above reasons and considering that Nikon and Canon provide a well known platform with available softwares and mods/parts, plus a large and consolidate users community) at now I am considering cameras like the Nikon D800.

Is mine a good choise ?

Are there alternatives that you would suggest me as a better choise ?

I thank you.

Clear Skies.

G.

#2 gianluca

gianluca

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 30 November 2020 - 09:52 AM

Hello

a brief auto-update.

A hinged screen is more or less a must, the more for DLSR to be used without PC.

The Nikon D800's sreen is "embedded", and this is a quite a problem for framing and focusing a camera to be used "on the go", on the rear of a short ota hosted by a small mount.

G.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics