•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dealing with frosty power cords

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wxcloud

wxcloud

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 30 November 2020 - 09:58 AM

So last late in the afternoon before it got dark I pulled the mount out got it set up and ready for when I might be out later when Orion started to rise. Got the hub wired and left things pretty much ready to plug in.

I go back outside a couple hours later to check conditions before finishing the set up. Was greeted with a bright pretty much full moon. Mount was obviously cold, wasn't frosted over as I thought it might be.

But as I turned around I seen my mistake... The power strip, the end of the extension cord and the ac adapter for the mount along with my table was covered in frost. The power strip took the worst of it looks like.

I gathered up the frosty cables and brought them in to warm up and dry. Also the hand controller. I ended up packing the rest of the stuff in a short time later never getting my full moon washed out session started :(

Might try again tonight but keep cables in until I'm ready if I didn't damage anything.

I think if it was completely wired up and plugged in it would have been a little bit better

#2 ButterFly

ButterFly

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 November 2020 - 10:18 AM

Put a box or some other covering on the strip and box  The cords should be fine unless frayed.  The table can just get a folded sheet.

It's a good idea to have all of this on a GFCI outlet.  Touching frosty cables can be shocking!

#3 wrvond

wrvond

Vanguard

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 30 November 2020 - 10:18 AM

Short of actual rain, I've never worried about power cords or power strips (except as trip hazards). I do check ahead of time on the likelihood of dew or frost and use heat strips - including the hand controller. 

Is your worry about moisture/water intrusion?

#4 Dynan

Dynan

Aurora

• Vendors
  • Loc: NOLA

Posted 30 November 2020 - 10:48 AM

I bought a dozen cheap towels on a visit to 'Wally World'. Cover everything, but watch for needed cooling air circulation (power supply, etc.). Rotate them out if they become wet.

#5 Justin Fuller

Justin Fuller

Viking 1

• Loc: Redondo Beach, CA

Posted 30 November 2020 - 11:14 AM

I use a thing called a SOCKiT box I found at Home Depot. You could probably get the same effect by cutting holes in a large rectangular tupperware or similar plastic storage box. Whatever I don't keep plugged in I store in the SOCKiT box when I'm done for the night.

Edited by Justin Fuller, 30 November 2020 - 11:18 AM.

• wrvond likes this

#6 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 30 November 2020 - 12:54 PM

+1 for the plastic box type solutions. If all the cable/wire/outlet connections are inside the box, you should be fine. As mentioned above, I find it convenient to keep the majority (if not all) of the stuff I plug in, or connect, inside the one box for storage after I am done.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics