•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lunar sketch 11 of 12: la Perouse, Kapteyn, and Barkla

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DDEV

DDEV

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Posted 30 November 2020 - 06:04 PM

Hello everyone,

Some of you might recall that I failed to sketch the Moon during August. Meaning, I'd need to sketch the Moon twice in a month to have completed 12 Lunar sketches by the end of December. So, with tonight providing some decent skies I decided to go for number 11. Slim pickings tonight though as the Moon is at 99.7% illumination. In saying that, three craters did catch my eye pretty much straight away.

First up was la Perouse. It was very close to the terminator, and had several interesting features to the North. From my observation, this crater seemed to have a some sort of rocky feature on its central floor that was slightly closer to its eastern wall.

Next up were Kapteyn, and Barkla. Unlike la Perouse, Kapleyn's floor appeared rather smooth, and its walls were fairly well defined. For me Barkla was the most interesting of the three craters though as there is a very pretty crater in close proximity to it; Rukl names it Langrenus M.

Other details from tonight's session include:

Instrument: f/5 250mm Newtonian Reflector on a Dobsonian base
Seeing: 4pk
Transparency: 3 (Moon was directly over a neighbour's house, and another neighbour had their heater blowing hot air into the atmosphere)
Time: 20:36 - 21:11 UT

As always many thanks for taking the time to read the above, and your comments and feedback are always welcomed.

Clear skies to all,
Darren.

La Perouse IFAS.jpg

• Special Ed, Magellanico, rodelaet and 8 others like this

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 30 November 2020 - 10:39 PM

Darren,

Very fine sketch of all  three and the bonus is you included  little Langrenus M at 17km. diameter.

this is a very fine looking sketch.

Frank smile.gif

• DDEV likes this

#3 mdowns

mdowns

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Englewood,FL

Posted 01 December 2020 - 07:31 AM

Nice job Darren.When I enlarged it on my computer your attention to fine details really shines!

• DDEV likes this

#4 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Cosmos

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 01 December 2020 - 11:39 AM

Darren,

Nice sketch of Lunar 11 of 12: la Perouse, Kapteyn, and Barkla smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

• DDEV likes this

#5 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Soyuz

• Loc: Hove, Belgium (51°N 4°E)

Posted 01 December 2020 - 12:34 PM

You did a very fine job in sketching details, but the sketch looks very dark on my screen. Maybe you can make it lighter.

• DDEV likes this

#6 frank5817

frank5817

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 01 December 2020 - 02:32 PM

Darren,

Jef is correct it is a little too dark. If you like I can lighten it up a little more . Let me know.

Frank smile.gif

• DDEV likes this

#7 DDEV

DDEV

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Posted 01 December 2020 - 04:17 PM

Hello Frank, Michael, Tom and Jef.

Very many thanks for you nice words and feedback. You're right: it is too dark. I was playing around with some of the colour tools in GIMP...always trying something out!

I'll try to lighten it, and we'll see what it looks like. Something tells me it'll be better.

Again very many thanks for the feedback gents, and thanks to all those who liked the sketch.

Clear skies,

Darren.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics