•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Synscan Pro App Question...

dob equipment mount Orion planetarium software reflector
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 30 November 2020 - 08:44 PM

After successfully doing a two-star alignment (scope is Orion XX12g), every time I do a goto an object, once there, the screen asks me to center it and highlights the button(s) to press.   

Now why would this be? I'm already aligned.  I did it once, but that seemed to screw up the alignment as the next goto was way off.

#2 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 30 November 2020 - 09:11 PM

Might be the "Sync" function on pg 12

Never had to do it myself however.

#3 Tdesert63

Tdesert63

Vostok 1

Posted 30 November 2020 - 09:14 PM

Hi, I have the older model XX12G no, WiFi , first thing I learned was to make sure it is level, and when recentering a object use the PAE, it helps the program to remember the difference,hope this helps,

Edited by Tdesert63, 30 November 2020 - 09:16 PM.

#4 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 30 November 2020 - 10:34 PM

That's it.  It's the "Normal Sync" that's prompting me.

Thanks Mike.

#5 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 30 November 2020 - 10:37 PM

What's interesting to me is that I'm getting better alignment by using the app vs. the hand controller.  The process is slightly different (having to level the OTA and point to north) and I like that it automatically slews to the first alignment star rather than me having to do so manually.  

The other thing I'm finding is that I get much more accurate alignments when I use Polaris as the 2nd star even though I've read that you shouldn't use Polaris at all.   

#6 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 01 December 2020 - 09:00 PM

What's interesting to me is that I'm getting better alignment by using the app vs. the hand controller.  The process is slightly different (having to level the OTA and point to north) and I like that it automatically slews to the first alignment star rather than me having to do so manually.  

The other thing I'm finding is that I get much more accurate alignments when I use Polaris as the 2nd star even though I've read that you shouldn't use Polaris at all.   

I find the App's are almost always better as the info (location/coordinates) can be more accurate.

As for Polaris, I'm guessing that because it's not moving, you're getting better accuracy.  Dunno, you'd think it would be best to use it as a 1st Star.

#7 mikenoname

mikenoname

Viking 1

• Loc: Death Valley Region (Bortle 2 - SQM 21.9+)

Posted 01 December 2020 - 11:59 PM

If you are using an equatorial mount, you should not use Polaris as an alignment star since the entire mount will be aligned to the North Celestial Pole which is very close to Polaris. However, for an AltAz mount, Polaris is a fine alignment star.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dob, equipment, mount, Orion, planetarium software, reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics