•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AT80ED Fine Focus

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lsm4691

lsm4691

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: SE Texas

Posted 30 November 2020 - 10:01 PM

Scope is less than 2 weeks old and the fine focus knob is slipping.  The set screw is tight.  Any ideas for a fix? 

#2 Migwan

Migwan

Vanguard

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 01 December 2020 - 12:45 AM

Call AT? 

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#3 lsm4691

lsm4691

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2020 - 07:18 AM

Call AT? 

Ultimately, call the dealer or AT but it never hurts to run it by the group first to see if I am missing something simple.  Especially since I am a first-time refractor owner, with little experience.  

• Jon Isaacs and Migwan like this

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 01 December 2020 - 08:23 AM

Ultimately, call the dealer or AT but it never hurts to run it by the group first to see if I am missing something simple.  Especially since I am a first-time refractor owner, with little experience.  

When you say the fine focus knob is slipping, does that mean that when you move the fine focus knob, the coarse focus knob does not move?  I assume the coarse focus works just fine?

Sometimes what happens is that there is a set screw that secures the two speed mechanism to the focuser assembly.  If the setscrew comes loose, the two speed spins.  This is an easy fix.

Here's a photo of the AT-80ED focuser with the setscrew.  There maybe more than one around the radius.  

AT-80ED focuser setscrew 1.jpg

If the "Two Speed piece" spins when you turn the fine focus knob, that's the problem and all you need to do is tighten up that setscrew.  

Otherwise, it is probably inside and it's best to call Astronomics as I have not worked on that particular focuser.  

Jon

#5 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 01 December 2020 - 08:23 AM

When you say the fine focus knob is slipping, does that mean that when you move the fine focus knob, the coarse focus knob does not move?  I assume the coarse focus works just fine?

Sometimes what happens is that there is a set screw that secures the two speed mechanism to the focuser assembly.  If the setscrew comes loose, the two speed spins.  This is an easy fix.

Here's a photo of the AT-80ED focuser with the setscrew.  There maybe more than one around the radius.  

AT-80ED focuser setscrew 1.jpg

If the "Two Speed piece" spins when you turn the fine focus knob, that's the problem and all you need to do is tighten up that setscrew.  

Otherwise, it is probably inside and it's best to call Astronomics as I have not worked on that particular focuser.  

Jon

#6 lsm4691

lsm4691

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2020 - 08:43 AM

attachicon.gifAT-80ED focuser setscrew 1.jpg

Jon

Yep, that was it.  Last night I saw the indentions where the small set screws are but I guess I didn't have on strong enough glasses because they just look like dimples- didn't make out the hex head.  Thank you.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#7 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 01 December 2020 - 08:48 AM

Yep, that was it.  Last night I saw the indentions where the small set screws are but I guess I didn't have on strong enough glasses because they just look like dimples- didn't make out the hex head.  Thank you.

:goodjob:

I know about the glasses... My distance vision is fine but I have presbyopia so I have three different sets of reading glasses, one for the computer, one for my phone and reading the newspaper and one for reading charts at night.  And then I have an optiVisor for the fine work...   

I am glad it was something so simple.  

Jon

• Ed Fortier, Xeroid and lsm4691 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics