•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dumb question about solar imaging

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 HoloTheWolf

HoloTheWolf

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 01 December 2020 - 02:39 PM

You probably need a dedicated solar telescope for the task. But I am wondering if it is practically possible to use my DSO imaging equipments

(WO Z61 Mark 2, LRGB + narrowband filters) for basic solar imaging? Will I need a solar filter on top of my narrowband filters to protect my camera?

Thank you!

Edited by HoloTheWolf, 01 December 2020 - 02:42 PM.

#2 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 01 December 2020 - 02:46 PM

Post in a solar imaging forum for the best responses.
  • HoloTheWolf likes this

#3 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 01 December 2020 - 02:51 PM

You definitely need a thermal rejection filter as DSO narrow band filters are NOT safe for imaging the sun. So, for basic solar imaging you probably want to get a full-aperture, thin-film solar filter. Something like the following:

https://agenaastro.c...r-astf-180.html

Without something like the above it is definitely UNSAFE to try to image or view the sun. There are other solutions to do safe solar imaging/viewing, but those tend to be significantly more expensive than the above.

• HoloTheWolf likes this

#4 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 01 December 2020 - 03:01 PM

As has been stated, this is not a subject for this forum.

But.  What you want to do is a common beginner idea, that can be VERY DANGEROUS.  So I think this is worthwhile comment on this forum.

Wrong filters.  You need filters SPECIFICALLY designed for solar work.  DSO filters are not useful for this.  AT ALL.  IN ANY WAY.

From Astronomik.

"The Astronomik H-Alpha filters may NOT be used for solar observation."

Very minor point.  All you do by placing a DSO Ha filter behind a solar film filter is make the image dim.  It has no value whatsoever.

Edited by bobzeq25, 01 December 2020 - 03:45 PM.

• HoloTheWolf likes this

#5 HoloTheWolf

HoloTheWolf

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2020 - 04:39 PM

Thanks everyone for all your valuable inputs waytogo.gif

• bobzeq25 likes this

#6 spereira

spereira

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 01 December 2020 - 04:52 PM

Moving to Solar Observing & Imaging.

smp

#7 Napp

Napp

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Northeast Florida, USA

Posted 01 December 2020 - 05:00 PM

Besides the safety issues DSO Ha photographic filters do not have the required bandwidth.  Solar Ha filtering requires a bandwidth less than 1 angstrom.  That's why solar Ha equipment is so expensive.

• vtornado and HoloTheWolf like this

#8 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 01 December 2020 - 05:33 PM

You probably need a dedicated solar telescope for the task. But I am wondering if it is practically possible to use my DSO imaging equipments

(WO Z61 Mark 2, LRGB + narrowband filters) for basic solar imaging? Will I need a solar filter on top of my narrowband filters to protect my camera?

Thank you!

You will need a solar WL filter or a Herschel Wedge !

• HoloTheWolf likes this

#9 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• Loc: Florida

Posted 01 December 2020 - 06:25 PM

Thank you!

Heya,

All you need is an energy rejection filter to protect your imaging train components. A basic baader visual grade solar film filter will do this for peanuts cheap. Get one in a cell by Astrozap for nothing basically and throw it on top of your scope and you're set to image in white light (the photosphere, there are sunspots now so this is worth while).

Your narrowband filters are not narrow enough for solar, so don't worry with them. If you want to get into narrowband solar imaging including hydrogen alpha, etc, it will require sub-angstrom filters (less than 0.1nm). You can get into this with etalons from Coronado, Lunt, Darystar, Solar Spectrum, etc. It's very expensive. But you get what you pay for.

Very best,

• HoloTheWolf likes this

#10 HoloTheWolf

HoloTheWolf

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2020 - 09:50 PM

Heya,

All you need is an energy rejection filter to protect your imaging train components. A basic baader visual grade solar film filter will do this for peanuts cheap. Get one in a cell by Astrozap for nothing basically and throw it on top of your scope and you're set to image in white light (the photosphere, there are sunspots now so this is worth while).

Your narrowband filters are not narrow enough for solar, so don't worry with them. If you want to get into narrowband solar imaging including hydrogen alpha, etc, it will require sub-angstrom filters (less than 0.1nm). You can get into this with etalons from Coronado, Lunt, Darystar, Solar Spectrum, etc. It's very expensive. But you get what you pay for.

Very best,

Besides the safety issues DSO Ha photographic filters do not have the required bandwidth.  Solar Ha filtering requires a bandwidth less than 1 angstrom.  That's why solar Ha equipment is so expensive.

@Napp @MalVeauX thanks! I didn't realize solar Ha filter is a completely different animal until now. Did a quick equipment survey, it seems

Baader visual grade solar filter/film is a good tool for me to begin with. Dedicated solar scopes are beyond my budget limit at the moment

(currently saving money for Takahashi FSQ 106EDX4 lol.gif ...)

I guess tracking accuracy is not an issue for imaging our home star because the time scale would be a fraction of a second or much less.

Thanks again for all of your comments.

Edited by HoloTheWolf, 01 December 2020 - 11:15 PM.

• rigel123, bobzeq25 and MalVeauX like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics